What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown to Depart at Season’s End

tumbidragon

First Grade
If he's left as he knows he's done his best and knows someone else needs to take them a step further, then sure - I respect that.
I don't get this move on his behalf if this is what went down. He effectively kills his own career if that's the case.
What club would sign a coach who knows he can't take a team to a premiership?
It's a weird situation that I can't make sense of from either the club or coaches pov

TruSaint

Referee
I'm curious as to why he left. I mean, I know the Knights are not going to hit the 8, but they've got an upswing and are likely to do better again next year. They really pressed some teams early and mid season.

With Ponga as fullback too, its like he's walked away from a once in a million player.

If he's left as he knows he's done his best and knows someone else needs to take them a step further, then sure - I respect that. But it all seems too... easy?

Agree with this,

Reading the release on NRL site, Brownie did make a point of talking up his success ( which is rare for him to do ), and also the CEO was full of praise , highlighting the poor state of affairs Nathan inherited. Sounds to me like he was pushed , thus the praise from the CEO.

Gareth67

First Grade
Personally I would like to see the man back at the Dragons . Yes , true he would be yet another ‘old boy ‘ , but one who would bring a wealth of experience and knowledge along with him .

That in itself is the big difference - most of the other characters we have had at the coaching helm simply did not have that . Bearing in mind that Brown coached in England with a great deal of success , so that is not something to be sneezed at or wave away , he has the runs on the board .

I believe that it speaks highly of him if he understands that he is unable to go any further with his present club Newcastle - perhaps there is more to this then he is prepared to speak about , we don’t know , but I certainly feel that he is worth signing up and on a performance based contract for 1 season and should he prove his worth then offer him a 2 year contact .

Just what do the Dragons have to lose other than to pay the maestro out his money , IMO it would be well and truly worth it .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Brownie is not the answer.
His record is not that flash either but we love to fantasise as to what he "might" do at our club.
Reemploying past employees is never a good idea and hopefully he finds a gig at another club.
We need to tough it out now and let Mc Grinner see out his time until we are guaranteed to get a coach who has impeccable credentials.
If that opportunity comes sooner rather than later than all well and good.
Brown is a far better option than Mary. Now is the time we could really use Brown's ability to bring through some young talent.

I say snap Brown up on a 3 year performance based contract.

FlameThrower

Bench
Reality Check guys.
We are the Dragons - forget marquee players and coaches.
I’d be happy to see Browny back for the following reasons.
1. Has done his apprenticeship both in the NRL and SuperLeague
2. No question of his knack of spotting talent
3. His ‘links’ to Club are now 11+ years passed
4. He was brave or crazy to take on Newcastle gig and deserves a knighthood for that alone...

ghostface

Juniors
I would love to get Browny in Ian Millward's role. Get him in charge of pathways and get him to build an ecosystem which will develop young players through to 1st grade.

He recruited well at Newcastle and wasn't prepared to pay overs so he'd be perfect at prospecting new talent. His considered approach to cap management is what we desperately need... as opposed to our current approach to recruitment, desperate sugar hits which result in us paying players overs.

St Georgio

Juniors
I would love to get Browny in Ian Millward's role. Get him in charge of pathways and get him to build an ecosystem which will develop young players through to 1st grade.

He recruited well at Newcastle and wasn't prepared to pay overs so he'd be perfect at prospecting new talent. His considered approach to cap management is what we desperately need... as opposed to our current approach to recruitment, desperate sugar hits which result in us paying players overs.
Brian Smith to take over Ian Millard Job and Browny as Head Coach!

Old Timer

Coach
Brown is a far better option than Mary. Now is the time we could really use Brown's ability to bring through some young talent.

I say snap Brown up on a 3 year performance based contract.
Can’t agree with you
Brown is at 27% win ratio since being at the Knights
We need a top line coach not a rebuilder of squads.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Can’t agree with you
Brown is at 27% win ratio since being at the Knights
We need a top line coach not a rebuilder of squads.

Agree OT.
If we were to look at Brown in our coaching ranks it should only be at CC level only. His apparant forte is recognising talent and building teams and CC seems the right fit to me. Talau is doing a real good job with JF and I havsca feelung Head will move up into one, if not the, assistant role full time.
Remove McNuckle and bring in a top line coach and I feel our fortunes would start to improve with this coaching set up.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Nathan does the honourable thing and falls on his sword.

Meanwhile at the saints

2307.jpg

Black Knight: Right! I'll do you for that!
King Arthur: You'll what?
Black Knight: Come here!
King Arthur: What are you going to do, bleed on me?
Black Knight: I am invincible!
King Arthur: You're a loony!
Black Knight: The Black Knights always triumph!

nontime111

Juniors
Just imagine. Mary out, Brownie in with Ponga in tow.

Nice to dream.

2021, Brownie coach, Ponga and Sullivan halves combo....if anyone can
I disagree.
I'd love to see ................

Coach - Brown
Head Assistant - Head
Assistant to the Assistant - Barrett
Assistant assisting the Assisting Assistant - Young
Tee Holder - Horby
Sand Boy - Price
Waterboy - McGregor

............... anymore????
Waterboy?? haha, isnt he a bit underqualified??

Red V for life

Juniors
The “good oil” from NRL 360 last night was Brownie had fallen out with the recruitment guy up at the Knights and that guy was close with the CEO. He found out late last week a review was to be conducted and approaches had already been made to others to coach so he pulled the trigger.

They also mentioned there is a view from players that he is a quality attack coach but his defensive strategies aren’t up to scratch. Oh, and that an option is for him to help Mary at Dragons.

So politics with a sprinkle of player discontent equals bye bye.

Coffs dragon

Bench
The “good oil” from NRL 360 last night was Brownie had fallen out with the recruitment guy up at the Knights and that guy was close with the CEO. He found out late last week a review was to be conducted and approaches had already been made to others to coach so he pulled the trigger.

They also mentioned there is a view from players that he is a quality attack coach but his defensive strategies aren’t up to scratch. Oh, and that an option is for him to help Mary at Dragons.

So politics with a sprinkle of player discontent equals bye bye.
I really can't see Brownie being able to help Mary in any way. He is a person of great character & integrity with the qualitiy of being very honest and owning his mistakes.
Mary is the master of deception & excuses that would simply shift the blame elsewhere in Browns direction.

Latest posts