What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 Vs the Donkeys

Panfa

Juniors
Naden has done better than Blake in his short 1st grade stint however i still dont know where his best position lies chrichton will be 1 centre next yr the other will either be naden mcgrady or we sign scott/ramien.

betcats

Referee
And is creating line breaks as well. He has 7 line breaks to go with his 8 tries from 10 games.

Blake has 3 tries and 3 line breaks from 14 games this season.

With space already open in front of him Blake can be deadly. Running at a defensive line he’s bog average, rarely creates the space for himself or people outside him, he is always trying to run around defenders untouched when he should just step and accelerate, he won’t accelerate at a small gap or into a defender which would create huge problems for defensive lines if he did with that size and speed.

As for Naden he’s probably a really good winger imo but he’s going pretty well at centre.

OldPanther

Coach
With space already open in front of him Blake can be deadly. Running at a defensive line he’s bog average, rarely creates the space for himself or people outside him, he is always trying to run around defenders untouched when he should just step and accelerate, he won’t accelerate at a small gap or into a defender which would create huge problems for defensive lines if he did with that size and speed.

As for Naden he’s probably a really good winger imo but he’s going pretty well at centre.

That was always weird about him. Every now and then he'd put his body into something and you'd remember he is actually pretty big.

martielang

Bench
I’m not worried about Naden in attack but defensively he is horrendous. Imo Blake plays against the Broncs, we win. He would of controlled Staggs without issue, whereas Naden didn’t lay a finger on him all night.

Maybe Naden will improve but at the moment I think he’s a long way from Blake.

franklin2323

Immortal

Part of why I want Burton in the centres if not 5/8th is to push Naden to the wing. Hopefully he and Crichton swap around this week and can see what he does on the wing

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m not worried about Naden in attack but defensively he is horrendous. Imo Blake plays against the Broncs, we win. He would of controlled Staggs without issue, whereas Naden didn’t lay a finger on him all night.

Maybe Naden will improve but at the moment I think he’s a long way from Blake.

Staggs alone wasn't the issue. Martin is far better the he showed.

Of course but for 1/5 the salary he is better value and who knows what a pre season can do for Naden

betcats

Referee
They could be on the same money and id still take Naden over Blake at this point. Naden scores regularly in a team that struggles to score, improve his defence or slide him out to the wing either way right now he already offers us more than waqa.

Fangs

Coach
I agree with Betcats. Naden edges out Blake overall. Though I bet Blake will end up the far superior player.

If we had another decent centre I'd move Naden to the wing and Crichton out for this weeks game.

betcats

Referee
I agree with Betcats. Naden edges out Blake overall. Though I bet Blake will end up the far superior player.

If we had another decent centre I'd move Naden to the wing and Crichton out for this weeks game.

He should already be the far superior player with his natural athletic abilities but he just lacks something that is holding him back. Certainly has the most potential of the two but give Naden an off-season with FG and we will see what he looks like next year.

Fangs

Coach
He should already be the far superior player with his natural athletic abilities but he just lacks something that is holding him back. Certainly has the most potential of the two but give Naden an off-season with FG and we will see what he looks like next year.

I wouldn't expect Naden to struggle in defence as much next year. The off-season should do him wonders. Unless he is Shaun Kenny Dowall MKII.

Fangs

Coach
Naden is not first grade standard, he is the worst out of him, Whare and Mansour

Whare/Mansour don't score or create points though. I think you are forgetting about life before Naden.

Even if he can't defend he is totally necessary at this point. His enthusiasm/effort and work off kicks has been a revelation.

chrisD

Coach
Whare/Mansour don't score or create points though. I think you are forgetting about life before Naden.

Even if he can't defend he is totally necessary at this point. His enthusiasm/effort and work off kicks has been a revelation.
You're still in the honeymoon period but Naden isn't, the Broncos game is the reality.

franklin2323

Immortal

Hopefully Naden and Crichton swap around this game as that is their positions moving forward

Fangs

Coach
You're still in the honeymoon period but Naden isn't, the Broncos game is the reality.

Mmm no I'm really not. He makes big lapses in defense. If we had better centres I'd move him out of the 17 or onto the wing.

This still doesn't address the point I made before however. Take Naden out of this team and you lose a lot of attacking potency. Life before Naden was horrendous, at least with him there we score some points off kicks. He can't be dropped.

chrisD

Coach
But he isn't a centre. Move him to the wing and he will be so much better
Maybe, worth a try given we don't have much options and there's reason to hope he's strong in the air. But twice he's had a path to the corner of the line and failed to make it, and looked unco in doing so, having the ball wrong in his arms and being too high. Instincts that can't be taught.

I agree with the thinking we should go into preseason with the plan for Burton/Crichton to be next years centres if nothing changes.

Last edited:

Sime_11

Juniors
Euan Aitken could be handy in the centre's

Naden needs to work on his defence and ability to get involved in every game, the raiders game, he didn't want to anything... he should have been hooked just for lack of effort.

potential is there - just gotta give him a chance, id back Ivan & the coaching staff to fix his defence in the off season, just give him the chance

Latest posts