What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Danish

Referee
Marvel is going to struggle as much as Sony from the split.

The leftover avengers are a f**king borefest now, with basically no remaining original characters besides Thor.

Somehow I doubt the split will be permanent though

Danish

Referee
Yeah I think Disney will cave. Sony isn't dumb, they know how important Spiderman is to the MCU.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say Sony isn’t dumb....

But an IQ of 40 could still see that Spider-Man basically has to carry the franchise from here.

:edit: mind you, I don’t like the stupid “iron spider” suit. Turning spider man into iron man is f**king dumb

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Yeah I think they needed Spiderman to carry this thing forward.
I disagree... I think Spider-Man is certainly one of the jewels in the crown but I think they would get on just fine without it.

Black Panther absolutely murdered Spider-Man at the box office.

Guardians of the galaxy with Gunn back at the helm and Thor 4 will be giant films.

There’s also that Dr Strange horror film which looks interesting...

You also have X-Men, F4 and Deadpool about to make the jump.

And considering what Feige and his crew have done with obscure properties like Guardians... who knows what Eternals and Blade will do.

It WILL be a test for the MCU though...

If the MCU rolls on and continues to have amazing success with pretty much every property it touches...

and Spider-Man bombs without the inter connectivity of the MCU behind it...

It’s gonna leave Disney in an even stronger position than it already is.

Matua

Bench
I disagree... I think Spider-Man is certainly one of the jewels in the crown but I think they would get on just fine without it.

Black Panther absolutely murdered Spider-Man at the box office.

Guardians of the galaxy with Gunn back at the helm and Thor 4 will be giant films.

There’s also that Dr Strange horror film which looks interesting...

You also have X-Men, F4 and Deadpool about to make the jump.

And considering what Feige and his crew have done with obscure properties like Guardians... who knows what Eternals and Blade will do.

It WILL be a test for the MCU though...

If the MCU rolls on and continues to have amazing success with pretty much every property it touches...

and Spider-Man bombs without the inter connectivity of the MCU behind it...

It’s gonna leave Disney in an even stronger position than it already is.
I think people tend to forget that Iron Man was not a well known character when they rolled the dice on his first outing.

Also, Captain Marvel outperformed the latest Spider-man and that was with the man babies hissy fitting all over the place.

Danish

Referee
Deadpool’s shtick will have worn well thin by about an hour into deadpool 3. The sequel was already pretty average.

Black panther could carry as its own franchise, but captain marvel? Scarlet witch? Falcon? All boring as shit.

People put up with a lot of cookie cutter movies from Marvel because of the giant Thanos carrot that was Infinity War/End Game. Now what do they have?

Personally I think a lot of the audience will drop off moving forward. Especially if Marvel keeps trying this bullshit re-release with extra footage garbage

Reactions: PJ

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Also, Captain Marvel outperformed the latest Spider-man and that was with the man babies hissy fitting all over the place.
Spiderman FFH - 1.110 Billion
Captain Marvel - 1.128 Billion
Black Panther - 1.344 Billion

Not a lot of difference between Spider Man and Captain Marvel and Spider Man hasn't finished it's run in the cinemas just yet. Not likely to catch Black Panther but wouldn't say it murdered Spider Man.

My comment was more about Marvel obviously planning to make Spider Man a center-piece of the MCU going forward with the Tony Stark handover. Sounds like this would really mess with what they had planned (but I'm sure it will get sorted anyway).

I'm sure the whole thing will still make Disney rich regardless. I just have doubts it'll be able to duplicate the success of the previous run.

shiznit

Coach
Deadpool’s shtick will have worn well thin by about an hour into deadpool 3. The sequel was already pretty average.

Black panther could carry as its own franchise, but captain marvel? Scarlet witch? Falcon? All boring as shit.

People put up with a lot of cookie cutter movies from Marvel because of the giant Thanos carrot that was Infinity War/End Game. Now what do they have?

Personally I think a lot of the audience will drop off moving forward. Especially if Marvel keeps trying this bullshit re-release with extra footage garbage
I think you’ve probably missed the whole point...

Marvel aren’t in this position because they had the A-Level characters and made these tent pole blockbusters from the jump...

They built this empire on turning what a lot of people considered lower level characters into massive franchises through very smart decisions in casting the right talent to carry these franchises, in writing an interconnecting story the likes has never been seen in film history and most importantly in the film makers they use to helm each film.

certain things are probably boring to me... but I’m not arrogant enough to think that because i think something is boring that it’s going to fail.

As the MCU starts to diversify more and more you’ll no doubt come across things which may not be your cup of tea... I’m thinking Wandavision is one of those things... but I’d like to see what Feige and the crew do with each of those properties before I cast judgement...

I think Blade under Mahershala Ali is really interesting... as I said, with Dr Strange 2 moving into horror territory I think it could make things interesting for Blade.

Timbo

Staff member
I think Disney will just stump up the cash in the end.

They won’t want anything to even remotely derail their plans going forward.

And Tom Holland is going to do two more Spider-Man movies outside of the MCU? What a f**king shitshow that would be. Are they just going to ignore the events of the first five films he was in?

As a fan I hate shit like this because Sony and Disney were both making out like f**king bandits off of the back of the agreement to have Spider-Man but nooooo lets f**k around with the most intricate and well told story every commuted to film for a couple of extra percentage points.

shiznit

Coach

And Tom Holland is going to do two more Spider-Man movies outside of the MCU? What a f**king shitshow that would be. Are they just going to ignore the events of the first five films he was in?

As a fan I hate shit like this because Sony and Disney were both making out like f**king bandits off of the back of the agreement to have Spider-Man but nooooo lets f**k around with the most intricate and well told story every commuted to film for a couple of extra percentage points.
If I’m Sony... I don’t touch the MCU spidey... put the Tom Holland version on hold for now as it’s just too closely aligned to the MCU and those stories... so any sony version will seem abit silly.

I’d make a live action Miles Morales version... but I’d put it in the same universe as Tom Hardy’s Venom.

I’d even see if I can use Vincent Denofrio to play King Pin... as they used him as the villain in the animated movie so they may have some rights to the character... or maybe Netflix hold the rights so they may deal with them to f**k over Disney.

Then after long enough you can bring in an older Tom Holland to play his version of Spider-Man in a Spiderverse scenario when it can be based in this new Spider-Man universe with Venom, carnage, King Pin etc... and he would have no MCU baggage.

Timbo

Staff member
It’ll be interesting to see what Holland himself does.

He’s been very public about the fact that he loves the MCU, the other actors in it and he’s effectively gone from being about to be the new main star of the Avengers to being in his own little bubble which won’t make a lot of sense.

I know he’s got a contract but if he digs his heels in and they fire him (remember: they fired Andrew Garfield for having a cold) then they’re back to rebooting Spider-Man with a fourth actor. Again.

Who’s exited to see the new actor get bitten by the radioactive spider and set out to avenge his murdered uncle? Yeah, me neither.

greenBV4

Bench
If I’m Sony... I don’t touch the MCU spidey... put the Tom Holland version on hold for now as it’s just too closely aligned to the MCU and those stories... so any sony version will seem abit silly.

I’d make a live action Miles Morales version... but I’d put it in the same universe as Tom Hardy’s Venom.

I’d even see if I can use Vincent Denofrio to play King Pin... as they used him as the villain in the animated movie so they may have some rights to the character... or maybe Netflix hold the rights so they may deal with them to f**k over Disney.

Then after long enough you can bring in an older Tom Holland to play his version of Spider-Man in a Spiderverse scenario when it can be based in this new Spider-Man universe with Venom, carnage, King Pin etc... and he would have no MCU baggage.

I dont see why they wouldn't want to just do both do both

Make their own seperate Miles Moralis spiderverse, then take up Disney's deal for Peter Parker. 2 spidermen and 2 sources of income for basically the price of one.

bileduct

Coach
Did they really do that??
That's speculation based on some emails that came out from the Sony hack.

According to the emails Garfield didn't turn up to a gala event because he had jet lag, and Amy Pascale wanted an explanation.

Garfield's own comments indicate that he wasn't really up for the role of playing a major franchise character in a series of big budget films, and that he had personal issues with the production of the films. So it was more than just "having a cold".

Danish

Referee

I’m sorry... the most intricate and well told story ever committed to film?

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
I’m sorry... the most intricate and well told story ever committed to film?

I’m not saying it’s Casablanca, but Marvel have managed to build a franchise that spans over 20 films from scratch, in a decade, many of which had little to no broad appeal and they tell one coherent, interesting, entertaining story from beginning to end.

The creation and success of the MCU is one of the greatest achievements in the history of film. You can’t deny that.

Springs09

Juniors
I’m not saying it’s Casablanca, but Marvel have managed to build a franchise that spans over 20 films from scratch, in a decade, many of which had little to no broad appeal and they tell one coherent, interesting, entertaining story from beginning to end.

The creation and success of the MCU is one of the greatest achievements in the history of film. You can’t deny that.

Doesn't mean it's the most intricate and well-told story in the history of film, which it isn't.

They also don't tell one story. Most of the films have nothing to do with each other. It's like saying the entirety of Marvel Comics tell 'one story'.

Matua

Bench
Spiderman FFH - 1.110 Billion
Captain Marvel - 1.128 Billion
Black Panther - 1.344 Billion

Not a lot of difference between Spider Man and Captain Marvel and Spider Man hasn't finished it's run in the cinemas just yet. Not likely to catch Black Panther but wouldn't say it murdered Spider Man.

My comment was more about Marvel obviously planning to make Spider Man a center-piece of the MCU going forward with the Tony Stark handover. Sounds like this would really mess with what they had planned (but I'm sure it will get sorted anyway).

I'm sure the whole thing will still make Disney rich regardless. I just have doubts it'll be able to duplicate the success of the previous run.
Who said it murdered Spider-man? The point is if people want to (on the hyperbolic end) claim that the MCU wont survive without Spider-man then it's fair enough to point out that a recent MCU film, with a female character, which the man babies on the internet lost the plot about, still managed to make a wee bit more or roughly the same as the current premier Marvel hero they're trumpeting.

As to your comment, I think that Marvel have got enough runs on the board to suggest they can switch focus without Spider-man ... otherwise they would have accepted the shitty deal they have previously had with Sony.

greenBV4

Bench
This sums up Sony's choices if they choose to go it alone with Spiderman, the current version is so entrenched in the MCU they'd pretty much have to completely reboot it again.