What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pangai suspended for five weeks

Big Pete

Referee
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/20/pangai-to-miss-five-matches-after-failing-at-judiciary/

That's a pretty tough pill to swallow. A popular talking point going around is that the MRC over-corrected after receiving backlash for letting Asofa-Solomona off the hook a week prior. I thought it was deserving of a penalty and a charge but the sin-bin and the Grade 2 is a harsh punishment, especially since it effectively ends his season.

It's certainly a set-back that Broncos fans have a right to be upset about, but by the same token, Pangai has paid the price for his ill-discipline. Pangai is obviously a great talent, Brisbane wouldn't have made the 2018 finals without him, but his looseness is an obvious negative and something he needs to address if he wants to become one of the best players in the competition. In the end, I feel like this charge serves as a reminder of where he's at and how he's failed to go on with his impressive form the year prior.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
In the mean watch how f**king formidable Lewis and Kenny together were.

Peeps argue who was better, fair argument, but together a kiwis nightmare.

enjoy

The young Bronco punk needs to get better.

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench
Knee jerk reaction from the judiciary when they got the Burgess tackle on Moylan so wrong. Time to put a broom through the judiciary.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
An absolute disgrace. Simply flops in to finish off a tackle where the player could easily pass and get up to run again. Was barely a penalty let alone 10 in the bin and 5 weeks suspension. It wasn't even a typical dumb TPJ play to be honest, just making sure the tackle was completed.

Really hard to swallow after watching players doing far worse things and getting off lightly or altogether.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Doesn't anyone think it's a tactic of players now where something happens that could be considered remotely dangerous and all come running in and pushing the "offending" player, trying to deliberately make the incident appear worse than what it actually is? And making sure the officials pay attention to it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Point being the young man is good enough not be a dirty prick and try to hurt opponents. he can do that legit and not put them in wheelchairs, just sore ribs, which a bloke gets over.

Has a great future if he cuts the crap out.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I have watched that video to much, much love for Wally, Kenny, Sterlo with hair, Dowling, Bella, even Blocker.

The last minute, Kenny outside Lewis is the best there is. Kiwis knightmare.

Gene Miles,better than Mal IMHO.

blaza88z

Coach
There will be half a dozen typical crusher tackles with the defender backing into the line this week and none of them will cop 5 weeks, i'd bet my life on it.

Big Pete

Referee
First tackle back and he's slugged with a four week suspension. It would have been six if he had have challenged it, obviously after a long stint he didn't want to push his luck. Genuinely believe he had a case, the first angle they showed looked bad but then when you actually see where contact was made it was neither late or high.

Unfortunately the consequence of the tackle was that O'Neil had to go off the field and I feel the judiciary would have erred towards that. Pangai didn't have to go in as hard as he did so the judiciary would have made a point to stamp it out.

I think it's a joke when you consider the Christian Crichton hit on Friday but what are you going to do.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I don't understand why we didn't challenge it. The player wasn't held and the hit wasn't high.

Sure it was aggressive and technically speaking unnecessary (could have just flopped in) but the charge was contact with head/neck, which doesn't seem to have happened.

TPJ needs to be smarter no doubt but it's hard to get mad at him when he is charged for things he didn't do.

League guru

Juniors
First tackle back and he's slugged with a four week suspension. It would have been six if he had have challenged it, obviously after a long stint he didn't want to push his luck. Genuinely believe he had a case, the first angle they showed looked bad but then when you actually see where contact was made it was neither late or high.

Unfortunately the consequence of the tackle was that O'Neil had to go off the field and I feel the judiciary would have erred towards that. Pangai didn't have to go in as hard as he did so the judiciary would have made a point to stamp it out.

I think it's a joke when you consider the Christian Crichton hit on Friday but what are you going to do.
At the end of the day, O'Neill failed a HIA, because someone smacked him in the head. He didn't do it to himself. The real injustice is that the Cowboys had to play a man short. I don't think the Broncos have too much to complain about.

Big Pete

Referee
At the end of the day, O'Neill failed a HIA, because someone smacked him in the head. He didn't do it to himself. The real injustice is that the Cowboys had to play a man short. I don't think the Broncos have too much to complain about.

That's the thing, the side on shows he avoids the head and ends up collecting him around the chest where O'Neil is holding the ball. It looks worse from the reverse angle, but it's a deceptive angle.

O'Neil stayed on and only came off after he got hit hard by Kotoni Staggs several minutes later. Maybe it was his head slamming against the turf from Pangai's hit that caused it, but I think the Broncos had grounds to at least challenge the grading.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Regardless it was overly agressive and unrequired.

The bloke is great player.

Cut out the dog acts, you are better than that.

Big Pete

Referee
Sure, Pangai shouldn't put himself in for the lottery, but the MRC are a joke with some of the gradings and citings they come up with.

All this nonsense about it being a 'late' hit is plain wrong.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I know this probably not go down well.

But Gallen was the same, overly aggressive and basically dirty, when it was not needed.

Then he got older, stopped doing the dirty shyte as he realised hitting them clean worked just as well.

He was a penalty magnet early in his career, but learnt disicpline.

It is a fine line, hopefully he will learn which side to be on.

Big Pete

Referee
I know this probably not go down well.

But Gallen was the same, overly aggressive and basically dirty, when it was not needed.

Then he got older, stopped doing the dirty shyte as he realised hitting them clean worked just as well.

He was a penalty magnet early in his career, but learnt disicpline.

It is a fine line, hopefully he will learn which side to be on.

I take your point, but the reason why it'll be lost on others because Gal was a grub whereas TPJ's biggest crime is that he's always looking to put a shot on. Gal was the type to racially abuse players, pull at their stitches and supposedly their testicles as well. He 'cleaned' it up and at 32 was cold cocking players, which completely changed the striking rules because of it.