What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Fitzgibbon

getsmarty

Immortal
The ‘dream job’ Craig Fitzgibbon is likely to eye after turning down Knights
Staff writers, FOX SPORTS
August 21, 2019 5:34pm
Craig Fitzgibbon ruled himself out of contention for the Newcastle head coaching role because he’s likely got another in his sights.

That’s according to NRL 360 host Paul Kent who told The Matty Johns Podcast that the former Sydney Roosters legend is “the next cab off the rank” when it comes to NRL coaches in waiting.

When the Knights announced that coach Nathan Brown would be leaving the club at the end of 2019, Fitzgibbon was immediately regarded as one of the top contenders, along with Adam O’Brien and Jason Ryles.

similars

“We’ve seen coaches in the past — Michael Maguire was one — where as soon as the next job’s available, he’s the guy that’s going to get it,” Kent said.

“I think Fitzy’s in that position at the moment. There are very good raps on what he did with the Blues this year.”

Fitzgibbon is an Illawarra junior who still lives on the South Coast in Austinmer and travels up for Roosters training sessions where he’s the defensive coach.

Kent believes that the St George Illawarra job would be Fitzgibbon’s dream role.

“Mary (Dragons coach Paul McGregor) is under increasing pressure and has to have a good season next year,” Kent said.

b655088e785fad28948723319a8a7c1d

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under increasing pressure.
“Fitzy has only just shaken hands — he hasn’t signed the contract — but he shook hands with Nick Politis for a three-year extension.

“The Roosters will let him go for a head role, but I don’t think he’s interested in the Knights.

“He’s a bit like Craig Bellamy who was the next coach ready to go from an assistant into a head coaching role.

“Craig Bellamy actually knocked back Wests Tigers, went for the Canberra job, missed it to their eternal regret, but then took the Melbourne job.

“Craig Bellamy had the ability and strength to be able to knock back jobs and say I’m going to find the club that’s right for me. I remember at the time he was very vocal about making sure he got into the right club.”

https://www.themercury.com.au/sport...s/news-story/0476bbd5915bd81861ed14fe22e8f872

BLM01

First Grade
Still lives on the south coast and I think although he is a rookie would be an amazing coach
His the roosters defensive coach and the nsw blues
Also a old boy thoughts ?
He will never come back to the Dragons after the way he was shafted in 99
The Roosters top job is his target and he will be happy to wait
This will be a waste of hope for the supporters

possm

Coach
I don't want any Illawarra old boys in our management team anyway. Just look at the current crop and you can see the damage they are doing to the club:

Craig Young
Mary
Millward
Dean Young

to name a few. Let's get some professional people running our club.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Fitzy still lived down the coast and technically he has been away from the dragons 19 years. Hardly part of dragons boys club I.M.O.

His credentials look good. Roosters defence coach and part of a consistently successful club. A yes from me but on a 2 year resylts incentive deal.

sco22

Juniors
Your absolutely right he was shafted by the club and easts got a very good player we on the other hand got FA

41yearsaint

Juniors
Im excited.
Hopefully Euan stays, if Fitz can teach him how to defend. No clauses needed, sign him up long term.

grouch

First Grade
He coached the Country team in 16 & 17 for two losses. He's been in the same role at the Roosters now for 7 or 8 years so seems in a bit of a comfort zone there, at a professional, successful organisation. Wouldn't be my ideal choice.

That said, sack McGregor and sign him up asap

giboz71

First Grade

Fitzgibbon and Robinson are the same age.

What makes him think that there will be a vacancy at the Roosters anytime soon? It's not like Demetriou waiting for Bennett who is in his 70's.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Fitzgibbon and Robinson are the same age.

What makes him think that there will be a vacancy at the Roosters anytime soon? It's not like Demetriou waiting for Bennett who is in his 70's.
Bennett will probably die on the job though, Demetriou would be my pick. He’s an attack minded coach, let’s bring some fun back the Dragons. I hear St Helens are targeting him, what a waste when Helens brother George is in dire need of change. Demetriou would attract players, brilliant attacking players we lack.

giboz71

First Grade
Bennett will probably die on the job though, Demetriou would be my pick. He’s an attack minded coach, let’s bring some fun back the Dragons. I hear St Helens are targeting him, what a waste when Helens brother George is in dire need of change. Demetriou would attract players, brilliant attacking players we lack.

The thing with Demetriou is, why hasn't he ever been considered for a head coaching role?

The Titans needed a new coach this year so do the Knights. There have been multiple names discussed. Holbrook got the Titans role, now Fitzgibbon, O'Brien, Ryles, Ciraldo are being considered for the Knights job amongst others.

Not once have I heard Demetriou mentioned?

Genuine question - why hasn't it? He's won a NSW Cup premiership with us, assistant at the Cows when they won a comp. Has been under Wayne Bennett for 3 years now. Bennett pushed him for the Broncos job as well.

Is there a reason why he's never considered? Surely he's got a better pedigree than some of those other names.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The thing with Demetriou is, why hasn't he ever been considered for a head coaching role?

The Titans needed a new coach this year so do the Knights. There have been multiple names discussed. Holbrook got the Titans role, now Fitzgibbon, O'Brien, Ryles, Ciraldo are being considered for the Knights job amongst others.

Not once have I heard Demetriou mentioned?

Genuine question - why hasn't it? He's won a NSW Cup premiership with us, assistant at the Cows when they won a comp. Has been under Wayne Bennett for 3 years now. Bennett pushed him for the Broncos job as well.

Is there a reason why he's never considered? Surely he's got a better pedigree than some of those other names.

Heir apparant to the Bunnies.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Notice Kent’s statement that Mary is under increasing pressure and, “will need to have a good year next year,..” Hooper came out with the same statement the day before, FMD !!! How many years now have we heard the same thing? Our only hope is being smashed by the Roosters,and, more importantly, be beaten by the Tigers. How sad.

by the Tigers.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I don't want any Illawarra old boys in our management team anyway. Just look at the current crop and you can see the damage they are doing to the club:

Craig Young
Mary
Millward
Dean Young

to name a few. Let's get some professional people running our club.

Normally I would agree Possm, but on this occasion I think you are being a little harsh. HIs father Alan is the one I would most associate with the Illawarra area. Craig had a comparatively short two year career with firstly the Steelers and then the merged Dragons and that all finished in 1999. Most of his career since then has been with the Roosters either playing or coaching.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Craig Young
Mary
Millward
Dean Young
This Illawarra old boy Craig Young, is he any relation to the Craig Young who not only captained St George to a premiership, but coached St George too?

I guess it’s a reasonably common name, so it could also just be a coincidence..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If he is not going for the Knights job he may ave been tapped on the shoulder by the Dragons? We can only hope. Not that they are getting Fitzy, that they are actively seeking people to take over and tapping people on the shoulder.