What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 V Cowboys

age.s

First Grade
It's not that they'd magically win us games it's that there is a proven factor in rugby league with 2 controlling halves not working together. Even worse when one switches off. You must have complimentary halves and we don't.

That's fair enough mate, and I completely agree.

But you posted earlier that we absolutely win with Burton or Luai tonight. We were a rabble. A more synergistic halves pairing would help, but it's one of like 10 problems this team has atm.

Flashstep

Juniors
It's not that they'd magically win us games it's that there is a proven factor in rugby league with 2 controlling halves not working together. Even worse when one switches off. You must have complimentary halves and we don't.

You know what is really a proven factor in rugby league? Building a team of young prospects and hoping they can be a consistent force in the NRL, simply doesn’t work. It says a lot that the furthest we’ve been in years (week 3 of the finals) was made up of a team of journeymen and rejects.

The club has put all of their eggs in developing a first grade team but as soon as things go a little south they’re happy to start from scratch all over again with the new flavours of the month, but don’t worry guys this generation will totally work out, where have I heard that before?

Truth is this team has serious holes in it, and we’re well on our way to seeing another bunch of kids thrown into the sharks tank with Barely any experience to lead them, no wonder we’re always in a f**king rebuilding phase.

OldPanther

Coach

But you posted earlier that we absolutely win with Burton or Luai tonight. We were a rabble. A more synergistic halves pairing would help, but it's one of like 10 problems this team has atm.

I think we do because it makes up for some of the issues. Not against the better teams but against the Cows for sure.

You know what is really a proven factor in rugby league? Building a team of young prospects and hoping they can be a consistent force in the NRL, simply doesn’t work. It says a lot that the furthest we’ve been in years (week 3 of the finals) was made up of a team of journeymen and rejects.

The club has put all of their eggs in developing a first grade team but as soon as things go a little south they’re happy to start from scratch all over again with the new flavours of the month, but don’t worry guys this generation will totally work out, where have I heard that before?

Truth is this team has serious holes in it, and we’re well on our way to seeing another bunch of kids thrown into the sharks tank with Barely any experience to lead them, no wonder we’re always in a f**king rebuilding phase.

I don't know anyone who is happy with the constant rebuild. Ivan used the "young team" line in the press conference and I got even angrier if that was possible because they chose this. Again.

Vicpanther

Juniors
Like I said to a mate. The only ones who showed any enthusiasm tonight were the new vuys/younger ones.

All the senior players looked like they didn't give a crap.
Rcg 6 meters from the line gets taken down by a guy half his size. It alike they don't give a shit anymore.

If it was up to me I'd be clearing house.

franklin2323

Immortal
No chance.

This. Origin half who everyone in existence is telling me is actually awesome but has directly cost our season.

What a load of shit.

RCG didn't pass to Edwards and cost a try to Kenny for obstruction... There is 2 tries there.

Cleary knock on cost To'o a try. Next set dropped it before a kick away

There is 3 tries there from errors from others.

Like I said to a mate. The only ones who showed any enthusiasm tonight were the new vuys/younger ones.

All the senior players looked like they didn't give a crap.
Rcg 6 meters from the line gets taken down by a guy half his size. It alike they don't give a shit anymore.

If it was up to me I'd be clearing house.

Clearing house is fine, but we can’t just rely on the young guys. We need to recruit the right experience, this idea of always going back to the well doesn’t work.

It must be a healthy mix of recruits & our juniors.

OldPanther

Coach
What a load of shit.

RCG didn't pass to Edwards and cost a try to Kenny for obstruction... There is 2 tries there.

Cleary knock on cost To'o a try. Next set dropped it before a kick away

There is 3 tries there from errors from others.

You said RCG not passing was worse than Maloney kicking out. Don't move the goal posts since that's exactly what,I was responding to with that comment.

franklin2323

Immortal
Clearing house is fine, but we can’t just rely on the young guys. We need to recruit the right experience, this idea of always going back to the well doesn’t work.

That is what we did wrong in the past. A mix of both we need

franklin2323

Immortal

As we saw with Crichton instead of Mansour. He still got limited chances when attacking the line it is too easy to blame just x player

Vicpanther

Juniors

Yeah definitely need to recruit some experience just saying the senior players we have showed no enthusiasm or care. It's like they are all in it for a pay check. Rcg has to go he is now a liability and has no impact. Maloney hasn't been with it all year.

OldPanther

Coach
There was no Goalposts moved. RCG bombed a try hurt more then a 2 kicks out

2 kicks that changed momentum resulting in tries against us. From a representative half who has won multiple premierships and is our highest paid player Vs a prop.

The other stuff I have said about Maloney I can understand people arguing about but this one is a certainty.

franklin2323

Immortal
2 kicks that changed momentum resulting in tries against us. From a representative half who has won multiple premierships and is our highest paid player Vs a prop.

The other stuff I have said about Maloney I can understand people arguing about but this one is a certainty.

And the To'o try that we got taken us due to Cleary's knock on didn't hurt?

OldPanther

Coach
And the To'o try that we got taken us due to Cleary's knock on didn't hurt?

It was a bobble diving on a ball. Can happen to anyone. A seasoned half kicked multiple balls out on the full. Not just 1 but 2. Our most experienced player. Who has won everything at the highest level of the game. How that happens blows my mind. I also never said nothing else contributed to the bad game. I was the one who started the push to hold the team responsible and not the refs for our losses.

Pomoz

Bench
A few points from the game:
  • Our forwards were owned in that game. Yeo 28m (WTF?), Leota 43m, Kikau 69m. Only Tamou and RCG made more than 100m and only just, 109m and 104m respectively;
  • Our young backs did their best with huge metres. Crichton 210m, Too 198m, Naden 163m. Take that away and we barely get off our try line;
  • Line breaks and tackle breaks, were again woeful. What is causing this? Last year we finished fourth and third in these categories;
  • Our fitness is awful. Kikau is blowing like he smokes 40 a day after about 20 minutes. We seem to have no explosive impact and can't break tackles. We make errors all the time, bad decisions under fatigue. Why did we change our fitness staff for the Pie Face team? Complete and utter incompetence by our club and we have suffered all season because of it. Just a thought, maybe we should do some weights so we are strong enough to break a tackle...;
  • I know there is no love for Maloney and there is a view that Cleary is held back by him. The facts don't quite support that. He had 60% of the possession in this game. No repeat sets, no try assists, no line break assists, he did play a role in the backline play for the try. We shouldn't let Maloney's errors hide the fact that Cleary has been awful as the main playmaker for the last two weeks. Not average, truly awful;
  • No Maloney and everything is fixed? The season stats say different. Cleary has 8 try assists, Maloney 18, forced drop outs 17, Maloney 27, 40/20 0, Maloney 2. Cleary has more receipts than Maloney over 1 less game. We should stop focusing on Maloneys mistakes, they are a smokescreen. The fact is Cleary is a very average halfback and that's being generous. Can he improve? I truly hope so.....;
  • What is Cleary doing with the subs? He subbed JFH, why? Leota 22 mins, a hooker on the bench and then leaves Kenny on for 75 minutes.
All I can say is that other than blooding a few juniors, this season has been a disaster. We look unfit, clueless in attack and poorly coached. Where to next? I wish I knew.

Last edited:

Latest posts