What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Fitzgibbon

BLM01

First Grade
Normally I would agree Possm, but on this occasion I think you are being a little harsh. HIs father Alan is the one I would most associate with the Illawarra area. Craig had a comparatively short two year career with firstly the Steelers and then the merged Dragons and that all finished in 1999. Most of his career since then has been with the Roosters either playing or coaching.
And our loss..Roosters gain. Shame on the club for not seeing his potential.
Was that Millward again!

BLM01

First Grade
If he is not going for the Knights job he may ave been tapped on the shoulder by the Dragons? We can only hope. Not that they are getting Fitzy, that they are actively seeking people to take over and tapping people on the shoulder.
Craig Fitzgibbon as a rookie will not take over from the the McGregor Millward MESS

grouch

First Grade
The thing with Demetriou is, why hasn't he ever been considered for a head coaching role?

The Titans needed a new coach this year so do the Knights. There have been multiple names discussed. Holbrook got the Titans role, now Fitzgibbon, O'Brien, Ryles, Ciraldo are being considered for the Knights job amongst others.

Not once have I heard Demetriou mentioned?

Genuine question - why hasn't it? He's won a NSW Cup premiership with us, assistant at the Cows when they won a comp. Has been under Wayne Bennett for 3 years now. Bennett pushed him for the Broncos job as well.

Is there a reason why he's never considered? Surely he's got a better pedigree than some of those other names.
You ask this (meaningless) question a lot. I'm sure I've answered it in the past. Anyway, here's a new answer

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/se...0190822-p52jrp.html?__twitter_impression=true

The coach ridiculed by Anthony Seibold for being ''dirty'' at missing out on a couple of NRL head coaching jobs is being groomed to take over from Wayne Bennett at South Sydney.

giboz71

First Grade
You ask this (meaningless) question a lot. I'm sure I've answered it in the past. Anyway, here's a new answer

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/se...0190822-p52jrp.html?__twitter_impression=true

The coach ridiculed by Anthony Seibold for being ''dirty'' at missing out on a couple of NRL head coaching jobs is being groomed to take over from Wayne Bennett at South Sydney.

Lol.

At the end of 2021. In another 2 years. Plenty can happen in that time. And the same succession plan was made at Brisbane and it didn’t happen. There is no guarantee it will happen at Souths.

The reason I keep asking the question is that he was anointed the next head coach in waiting when he left the Dragons. And plenty of coaches have come and gone during that time including Brennan, Barrett, John Morris, Holbrook and now seemingly Adam O’Brien. Craig Fitzgibbon and Jason Ryles seem to be the next guys in line.

Meanwhile, Jason is sitting around waiting for Wayne to (maybe) retire in 2022?

I dunno, doesn’t seem like a great strategy to me. I just get the feeling Demetriou is not as highly rated (outside of Dragons fans) as most think.

possm

Coach
Lol.

At the end of 2021. In another 2 years. Plenty can happen in that time. And the same succession plan was made at Brisbane and it didn’t happen. There is no guarantee it will happen at Souths.

The reason I keep asking the question is that he was anointed the next head coach in waiting when he left the Dragons. And plenty of coaches have come and gone during that time including Brennan, Barrett, John Morris, Holbrook and now seemingly Adam O’Brien. Craig Fitzgibbon and Jason Ryles seem to be the next guys in line.

I dunno, doesn’t seem like a great strategy to me. I just get the feeling Demetriou is not as highly rated (outside of Dragons fans) as most think.
I doubt the SGI fans will swallow that idea of change only being 2 seasons away. We have heard this repeatedly over the last 5 years. Now is the time and every game we delay will lead to a poorer season in 2020.

tumbidragon

First Grade
We are in our supposed 'premiership window' that has been absolutely squandered by the club on all fronts from top to bottom!
Whoever our future coach may be, will have their work cut out for them!
We're about to lose our best half, leaving us with two mental midgets and no quality option in the #1, giving us one of the cattiest spines in the comp. No end in sight to our obbsesion with slow, low skill rookie (Nabuli, Perera, Pearson, Maranta, Rav, Vidot, Nielson etc. etc.) outside backs and journeymen... and it's looking likely that we'll have no defensive starch bar McInnis and a hopefully a fit TSims for the foreseeable future as the JDB case plays out...
Our so called power game doesn't work as we don't have the cattle to fill the void when our starting pack is rotated off or injured. Doesn't help that it's led by an ever aging and injury prone prop who no longer has the ability to impact a game.

In short. Who the f**k would want to risk their coaching career trying to fix this basket case of ineptitude! Hats off to whomever suffers the slings n arrows.

Lol.

I think you have misread the sentiment about JD.
Very highly rated who we let slip through our fingers to appoint McGregor.
Why would he jump at the Titans job when no one else wants it?
Has never come across as the desperate type.
Take a closer look at his credentials before you keep wondering why he hasn't coached FG yet.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Lol.

We know you have that feeling, thanks :grinning:
Since we're in repetition mode, I'll repeat my point. Garth Brennan had assistant coach roles for over 10 years before landing a head coach job. Sometimes coaches need patience and luck. If Demetriou inherits the Souths job he's timed things perfectly and landed one of the best gigs in the game. I reckon he will.

Certainly his standing has been boosted by the Seibold embarrassment this week

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
Get Nathan Brown back - he can disk wipe the memory of Mary ‘game plan & power game’ during off season and start the year with a team full of energy and a point to prove. Club has a golden opportunity to get him now.
I don’t want another off season lost and off chance Mary may be punted mid next season then hand over to Dean Young FFS. Meanwhile Brown lands another job elsewhere...

Cogburn

Juniors
If I was a Dragons supporter I reckon someone like Tim Sheen's or even Phil Gould would be worth chasing, someone who's won premierships.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Get Nathan Brown back - he can disk wipe the memory of Mary ‘game plan & power game’ during off season and start the year with a team full of energy and a point to prove. Club has a golden opportunity to get him now.
I don’t want another off season lost and off chance Mary may be punted mid next season then hand over to Dean Young FFS. Meanwhile Brown lands another job elsewhere...
I reckon Browny is too
If I was a Dragons supporter I reckon someone like Tim Sheen's or even Phil Gould would be worth chasing, someone who's won premierships.
I would love Tim Sheens, he was in that Canberra system that produced so many good coaches, Bennett, Bellamy, Madge all GF winners themselves.

giboz71

First Grade
We know you have that feeling, thanks :grinning:
Since we're in repetition mode, I'll repeat my point. Garth Brennan had assistant coach roles for over 10 years before landing a head coach job. Sometimes coaches need patience and luck. If Demetriou inherits the Souths job he's timed things perfectly and landed one of the best gigs in the game. I reckon he will.

Certainly his standing has been boosted by the Seibold embarrassment this week

Well I guess we’ll wait and see. If he ends up ever landing a head coaching gig and has success I’ll happily eat my words.

To be honest I have nothing against JD, I just didn’t get the hype about him other than being a better choice than Mary. And as we all know, a lamp post is a better choice than our current coach so it’s not really saying anything.