What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

getsmarty

Immortal
Flanno in fashion?
Shane Flanagan – ahead of Nathan Brown and Geoff Toovey – is the standout former coach without a first-grade job for next year and there are some Dragons powerbrokers who have been whispering his name as the club starts to look to the future.

This column has never been critical of Dragons mentor Paul McGregor, but even he knows he will need a strong start to next year to keep the wolves from the door. The club has acknowledged they have issues with coaching. The Dragons don’t like to use the word sacked, but four members of their coaching set-up have officially been told to look around for other options. It’s a sign of respect for Dean Young and Ben Hornby, in particular, that the door has not been slammed in their faces.

d318175aa634e89d8bd326a023eacd0a74f72f1d

Well regarded: There are clubs waiting on Shane Flanagan to be cleared to return to the game.Credit:Wolter Peeters

Mat Head and Mick Crawley have also been told to explore other options. There is considerable discontent among that group that they have been singled out and McGregor has survived. But the club clearly thinks they need a refresh and the next obvious move is to change coach.

There is some chance that Young could be reappointed.

Flanagan knows he has some hoops to jump through to be allowed to return to the game. He was deregistered as a coach indefinitely in December 2018 for failing to adhere to the conditions of his suspension in 2014. He will jump as high as the NRL wants him to. Flanagan’s ego isn’t too big to accept an assistant job, but he is a premiership-winning coach who has outstanding man-management skills.

Take it as fact that there are clubs waiting on the NRL to clear him to return.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ni...football-in-next-tv-deal-20190824-p52kfc.html

St Georgio

Juniors
Dean Young and Ben Hornby should look at going to the Melbourne Storm, Jason Rules off to Wigan or St Helens when an opportunity Arises.

This column has never been critical of Dragons mentor Paul McGregor, but even he knows he will need a strong start to next year to keep the wolves from the door.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ni...football-in-next-tv-deal-20190824-p52kfc.html

A few points:
- why has that column never been critical of the Dragons mentor, and why have a column if you can't objectively analyse and write on such issues?
- if Mary is truly on the nose, why wait another half season to reassess? What if the Dragons go 5 from 10 to start the season, is his job safe again? Is not the measure of a coach the potential to win a premiership, not teeter on the 8? This question has already been well and truly answered.
- I know he's not popular on this forum but I would love to get Flanagan.

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Flanno in fashion?
Shane Flanagan – ahead of Nathan Brown and Geoff Toovey – is the standout former coach without a first-grade job for next year and there are some Dragons powerbrokers who have been whispering his name as the club starts to look to the future.

This column has never been critical of Dragons mentor Paul McGregor, but even he knows he will need a strong start to next year to keep the wolves from the door. The club has acknowledged they have issues with coaching. The Dragons don’t like to use the word sacked, but four members of their coaching set-up have officially been told to look around for other options. It’s a sign of respect for Dean Young and Ben Hornby, in particular, that the door has not been slammed in their faces.

Well regarded: There are clubs waiting on Shane Flanagan to be cleared to return to the game.Credit:Wolter Peeters

Mat Head and Mick Crawley have also been told to explore other options. There is considerable discontent among that group that they have been singled out and McGregor has survived. But the club clearly thinks they need a refresh and the next obvious move is to change coach.

Flanagan knows he has some hoops to jump through to be allowed to return to the game. He was deregistered as a coach indefinitely in December 2018 for failing to adhere to the conditions of his suspension in 2014. He will jump as high as the NRL wants him to. Flanagan’s ego isn’t too big to accept an assistant job, but he is a premiership-winning coach who has outstanding man-management skills.

Of course there is a chance Dean Young wont lose his job....wonder why that is
and everyone around Mary has been told to look elsewhere...what the F... is going on
Of course coaching is the problem so get rid of the coaches in 1 st grade...all of em..not part
They are blind or keeping their head in the sand to the real issues

getsmarty

Immortal
Fittler again Defending his mate McGregor..( Sunday Footy Show ).saying we trained the whole preseason with JDB as link player and we haven't adapted....

QUESTION...Who was the shadow player ( understudy ) training in case JDB got injured ? In other words what was the coaches contingency plan ?

It is now Round 24.....The coach has had 23 Rounds to address this and has Failed....

This is the excuse that the Board is using behind the scenes.....It just doesn't cut it.....

BLM01

First Grade
Fittler again Defending his mate McGregor..( Sunday Footy Show ).saying we trained the whole preseason with JDB as link player and we haven't adapted....

QUESTION...Who was the shadow player ( understudy ) training in case JDB got injured ? In other words what was the coaches contingency plan ?

It is now Round 24.....The coach has had 23 Rounds to address this and has Failed....

This is the excuse that the Board is using behind the scenes.....It just doesn't cut it.....
Obviously rang Freddy this morning to make sure he got that in as a mate to help a mater
IT IS NOT MY FAULT I REALLY AM A PREMIERSHIP POTENTIAL WINNING COACH

getsmarty

Immortal
Of course there is a chance Dean Young wont lose his job....wonder why that is
and everyone around Mary has been told to look elsewhere...what the F... is going on
Of course coaching is the problem so get rid of the coaches in 1 st grade...all of em..not part
They are blind or keeping their head in the sand to the real issues

And as others have stated, Head's side is 1st ? in the C.C cup.....same drill that happened with J,D....

getsmarty

Immortal
Obviously rang Freddy this morning to make sure he got that in as a mate to help a mater
IT IS NOT MY FAULT I REALLY AM A PREMIERSHIP POTENTIAL WINNING COACH

Yep...I have seriously had a gut-full of this nonsense....The club is treating the fans like idiots....

Can someone please explain to me why Fans are still going to games...??? Why would you give your Hard Earned
cash to this Club who just do not care about transparency and providing a quality product............

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
For God Sake we need an experience coach, NO MORE ROOKIES.
Des Hasler Umm ppl here didn't want him,dumb and dumber. I thought he would have made the Dragons true Contenders.
My Next pick Has to Be.

Shaun David Wane (born 14 September 1964) is an English rugby union and rugby league coach, and former professional rugby league player. He is currently a high performance coach for the Scottish Rugby Union, and was previously head coach of the Wigan Warriors from 2011 to 2018, where he won 3 Super League Grand Finals.

Shaun Wane

He is Looking for a GIG in the NRL!
Then
Anthony Griffin!
That is a good pickup, I hadn’t heard of him, but just read an article about him and apparently John Bateman credits him with turning him into an international backrower. Imagine what he could do with Ford. Also couldn’t be further from a boys club than not even from Australia. He will have no loyalty to any players and can just drop, release and purchase players without a second thought.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Some interesting comments on the Foxtel coverage last night.

Pre-game chat with Trent Robinson - he basically said you can’t play possession footy as it is too conservative. You need to have variety and know when to chance your arm. That had to be a direct shot at our coach.

Our coach loves his 80% possession stat and repetitive use of block plays (which I think Mick Ennis was going off about). No surprise we were ‘better’ when we abandoned them.

During the game I think it was Mick Ennis again basically saying that Lomax (and other youngsters) have been poorly handled this year with stints at wing, centre, fullback etc. Sailor will be next unfortunately. No way should he make way next week.

Reports from the sheds at halftime by Andy Raymond - nothing from the Dragons shed other than to say the room was very low, heads down and other commentators said they didn’t know what McGregor could even say (I resign would be a good start).

Even on the Matty John’s podcast, they were saying the coach is under immense pressure.

The narrative is changing. The guy is toast and with a weaker squad next year, won’t be able to turn it around. It is pure negligence to leave him in the job.
I’m feeling it, the media is turning and even the most diehard and forgiving fans like myself are turning and believe it must be done. Players are exploring their options and we are haemorrhaging. Players we need like Friz and Lomax want out and players that are being shopped around probably don’t want to leave and dig in. I have heard Widdop wants out but knows the Dragons won’t release him so he’s exercising his homesick clause, taking a gap year then returning to Wests to replace Benji.

BLM01

First Grade
Yep...I have seriously had a gut-full of this nonsense....The club is treating the fans for idiots....

Can someone please explain to me why Fans are still going to games...??? Why would you give your Hard Earned
cash to this Club who just do not care about transparency and providing a quality product............
There are always die hards and loyalists who follow them everywhere no matter what and good luck to them

getsmarty

Immortal
There are always die hards and loyalists who follow them everywhere no matter what and good luck to them

Far enough...But the Board views this as a " Stamp of approval "....Maybe if these fans decided to make a stand until the current coach is gone, we would see change happen in a swifter manner....( surely they cannot be enjoying watching us play ? )

And please don't get me wrong, If people want to attend games then that is their decision but they must take into account that the Board always quotes " membership numbers and crowd numbers are good therefore it is a small minority of disgruntled supporters ".

BLM01

First Grade
Far enough...But the Board views this as a " Stamp of approval "....Maybe if these fans decided to make a stand until the current coach is gone, we would see change happen in a swifter manner....( surely they cannot be enjoying watching us play ? )

And please don't get me wrong, If people want to attend games then that is their decision but they must take into account that the Board always quotes " membership numbers and crowd numbers are good therefore it is a small minority of disgruntled supporters ".
yeh true...they can quote what they like re crowds..we know the truth.
Just look around what the cameras show on TV..tells you everything and the booing....and leaving at half time.......also speaks volumes

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
In his six years at the helm, is there any player who has credited Mary with developing their game?

Also interesting that none of the key Knights players have come out defending Brown.

Straight Shooter
Yeah I 100% agree, I actually feel Brown would be going backwards or sideways at best. Dragons need a real freshen up and this Pom might be the answer.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Flanno in fashion?

Discontent that mcgregor has survived......yes yes yoooohooooo yes. About fu**!ng time !!

In his six years at the helm, is there any player who has credited Mary with developing their game?

Also interesting that none of the key Knights players have come out defending Brown.

Straight Shooter
Actually Paul Vaughan in an interview about his origin debut credited He who shall not be named for getting him there I choked on my bourbon at the time but it did happen I’ve since given up drinking lol

Latest posts