What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tristan Sailor

nontime111

Juniors
Just compared Tristian and Dufts profile. Tristian 177cm tall and Dufty 179cm and 3kg lighter than Duft. So at 21 will he grow into our next NRL fullback. Need a growth spurt. Maybe a 5/8.
he is a 5/8th and he should be our long term one after Widdy goes then when Sullivans ready ell have the dangest fastest most creative powerfully positive always have a crack take no prisoners total genius attack and have the BEST halves combo in the comp in 2 or 3 yrs after that

jak

Bench
he is a 5/8th and he should be our long term one after Widdy goes then when Sullivans ready ell have the dangest fastest most creative powerfully positive always have a crack take no prisoners total genius attack and have the BEST halves combo in the comp in 2 or 3 yrs after that
but we will still have mary.

giboz71

First Grade
Sailor looks like a typical Dragons junior.

Shows promise in his first few games, will get completely de-skilled under McGregor game plan, and will probably be shown the door. Same as Dufty, Host, Field, Robson, Lomax etc. Even Aitken falls in this category. Garrick, Sele and Herbert had the good sense to get out of town at least.

It will be a long and distinguished list how many young careers have been stalled by our coach.

getsmarty

Immortal
sailort-sailorw-1gp_4102.jpg

DRAGONS

Sailor offers hope for the future after heavy loss to Roosters
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 24 Aug 2019, 11:53 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has confirmed that Tristan Sailor was being considered for the vacant fullback role next season after an impressive debut against Sydney Roosters on Saturday night.

Sailor, who is poised to sign a contract extension with the Dragons, provided hope for the future on an otherwise dismal night for the club at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium as they succumbed 34-12 to the Roosters.

The 21-year-old, whose famous father Wendell finished his glittering career in the Red V a decade ago, scored a try and ran for 152 metres after being called up for his NRL debut when Ben Hunt failed a HIA following a concussion in last weekend’s match against Cronulla.

With a full off-season as a member of the Dragons' top 30 squad, McGregor expects him to bulk up and be ready for more first-grade action in 2020.

“He scored a try, he had a couple of nice touches and he tried to get involved in the game. He made a couple of errors but I thought he made a really sound debut so I thought he was good,” McGregor said.

“Tristan is obviously very strong in the gym and very fit but he is still very young so he has got to develop around his game in a few areas.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Roosters

“Another pre-season of trying to thicken him up a bit more and he might grow a little bit but he does all the right things at training to give himself the best opportunity in the game.”

Captain Gareth Widdop’s return to England will ensure a spot is available in the spine next season and Sailor is likely to compete with Zac Lomax for the No.1 jersey.

However, he can also play a number of other backline positions and could be an ideal No.14.

“Tristan’s career is quite bright, even though he is young because he can play multiple positions as well,” McGregor said.

“He can play a little bit of five-eighth, he can play in the centres, he can play on the wing so he has got that utility value as an outside back so he just needs a bit more education around that.”

With Hunt likely to return next week it is unclear whether Sailor will retain his place for the match against Wests Tigers at the SCG but McGregor expects whoever plays to do better than the Dragons did on Saturday night.

Trailing 28-0 at half-time, they fought back in the second half to score tries through Sailor and Luciano Leilua but the game was well and truly gone before then.

Another Sailor scoring in the famous Red V

“We had no intent in our defence, it was pretty simple,” McGregor said of the first-half effort.

“You have got to have a bit more want than that. At different stages we had four in a tackle and they were standing, playing the ball quick, we weren’t getting on side, we weren’t adjusting, we weren’t travelling in numbers to get forward hard.

"Our one-on-one stops at the end of the shifts weren’t good enough so our first 40 minutes was nowhere near to a standard that we can accept and obviously the second 40 was a bit of scoreboard stuff.”

The fact the Dragons had pushed the Sharks (18-12), Parramatta (12-4) and Rabbitohs (20-16) and downed the Titans during the past month, made the lacklustre first half even more galling for McGregor.

“The last three losses we were fighting for a win up until the last five minutes but we were never in the game tonight,” he said. “It was nowhere near good enough.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...-for-the-future-after-heavy-loss-to-roosters/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He could be like Hornby, who started as a utility and playing fullback before transitioning to 7. If he can time it right he could end up replacing Hunt or Norman when their contract finishes, playing utility in the meantime.

Bench
I thought he had a very good game for his debut. Scored a try, just short on another occasion, he was always around the ruck when we had the ball.
To me he is the answer to who gets the fullback job

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I thought he had a very good game for his debut. Scored a try, just short on another occasion, he was always around the ruck when we had the ball.
To me he is the answer to who gets the fullback job
I still remember Duftys first game though I think it was vs Manly and he tore them apart. Hopefully Sailor doesn’t have his confidence destroyed.

rasaint

Juniors
Forbes Creek good post thinking the same myself. The regularly maligned Matt Dufty has scored electrifying solo trys which very few can score in the past year or two. Matt is second behind Ado Carr for the fastest top speed in a game even this year. He is now being thrown on the scrap heap and replaced by comparative slow pokes.

Now Tristan Sailor darted through last night for a good solo effort and everyone’s getting excited.

Let’s see what happens in the longer term and good luck Tristan.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Forbes Creek good post thinking the same myself. The regularly maligned Matt Dufty has scored electrifying solo trys which very few can score in the past year or two. Matt is second behind Ado Carr for the fastest top speed in a game even this year. He is now being thrown on the scrap heap and replaced by comparative slow pokes.

Now Tristan Sailor darted through last night for a good solo effort and everyone’s getting excited.

I’m a massive fan of Dufty and although he’s dropped a few bombs, so has Lomax when he played there and on the wing. I think his high ball skills or lack of is a bit overstated, and would love to see the stats, it’s probably similar to Ponga I reckon. My main issue is with him getting manhandled and losing ground coming out of trouble as well as being a target for attacking teams to bomb into the in goal with a taller centre contesting the ball ala Tommy T vs Ponga in origin. I would still like to see what an innovative coach does with him before tossing him on the heap to be honest.

giboz71

First Grade
This is the problem.

19/20 year olds are rarely the finished product. They need to be developed and coached how to be FG players. Guys like Dufty, Field, Host and the rest of our juniors have not been given this opportunity.

I can see enough in Sailor, Saab and Ford that they can be very good FG players in the next 2 years. Add in Zac Lomax and we actually have the makings of a good backline.

But if we keep Mary, then there’s guys will go the way of Dufty and his mates and the opportunity will be lost with these kids.

The time to get rid of Mary is now.

Wittenberg

Juniors

They played some bits from an Anzac Day game against the Roosters and replayed Dufty scoring an unbelievable try. He stood up Tedesco and made him look slow along with several other Roosters. Dufty’s lack of physical strength is my main problem with him but he can score tries that others can’t. Obviously many think, like Mary, that ‘our D’ is the most important factor in our game. Perhaps they are right, but I don’t think Sailor will be any real plus in this area, hopefully however, he may develop the strength to not be rag dolled like Matt does. I’d say it’s pretty obvious that Matt will go elsewhere. I just have a feeling we will come to regret that. He is a talent that another coach and another club might well develop. Hopefully Sailor will not be another Dufty. I would not bet on it though.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
They played some bits from an Anzac Day game against the Roosters and replayed Dufty scoring an unbelievable try. He stood up Tedesco and made him look slow along with several other Roosters. Dufty’s lack of physical strength is my main problem with him but he can score tries that others can’t. Obviously many think, like Mary, that ‘our D’ is the most important factor in our game. Perhaps they are right, but I don’t think Sailor will be any real plus in this area, hopefully however, he may develop the strength to not be rag dolled like Matt does. I’d say it’s pretty obvious that Matt will go elsewhere. I just have a feeling we will come to regret that. He is a talent that another coach and another club might well develop. Hopefully Sailor will not be another Dufty. I would not bet on it though.
Maybe move Dufty back to the halves, or even give him a short stint at 9 in CC to see how he goes, he’s never going to grow taller but he’s pretty solidly built, who’s to say he can’t put on a few KGs at the expense of a yard of pace and become an absolute weapon out of dummy half like Cook.

hazzbeen

Bench
Our D is the most important .... What D...?

BLM01

First Grade
Lets keep both...something for the a good coach to think about and utilise after another preseason of building yourself up

slippery5

Juniors
Am I being to judgemental?
Interesting differences between Bellamy letting Nicho Hynes's Brother present him his debut Jersey, & also the same I believe was done with a family member presenting the young Bronco's winger last month. Sailor & Allgood were both presented their debut jersey by this egotistic joke who somehow believes he has been there through their life journey, to play NRL.

Dragonsamy

Bench
This is the problem.

19/20 year olds are rarely the finished product. They need to be developed and coached how to be FG players. Guys like Dufty, Field, Host and the rest of our juniors have not been given this opportunity.

I can see enough in Sailor, Saab and Ford that they can be very good FG players in the next 2 years. Add in Zac Lomax and we actually have the makings of a good backline.

But if we keep Mary, then there’s guys will go the way of Dufty and his mates and the opportunity will be lost with these kids.

The time to get rid of Mary is now.

Well said Giboz .
Couldn't agree more

Dragsters

First Grade
Am I being to judgemental?
Interesting differences between Bellamy letting Nicho Hynes's Brother present him his debut Jersey, & also the same I believe was done with a family member presenting the young Bronco's winger last month. Sailor & Allgood were both presented their debut jersey by this egotistic joke who somehow believes he has been there through their life journey, to play NRL.

Agreed.

On Nicho Hynes, I thought he looked a promising talent watching him last week for the purple cheaters.

Talented and gutsy.

Can't see him getting much of a chance next year behing their super backline and he's also behind Pap as well.

Dunno if he is contracted or not but could be a handy pick up for us perhaps...

Sailor looks like a typical Dragons junior.

Shows promise in his first few games, will get completely de-skilled under McGregor game plan, and will probably be shown the door. Same as Dufty, Host, Field, Robson, Lomax etc. Even Aitken falls in this category. Garrick, Sele and Herbert had the good sense to get out of town at least.

It will be a long and distinguished list how many young careers have been stalled by our coach.
I like in he who shall not be named press conference he said he’d make a good utility so get used to number 14 Tristan lol