What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 V Cowboys

Panfa

Juniors
Our undiscipline runs through the club jersey flegg are probably the most disciplined 1st grade and Canterbury cup are terrible.

Kilkenny

Coach
Too soon to say this. Need to see what the new season brings

The strategies, plans, recruitment need to be happening as soon as this season is over, which is basically now.

This has been a really poor season with so much work to be done to address the issues I am far from convinced the powers that be are up to it, quite the opposite.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
There are many reasons for someone to be a great halfback,big deal if he hasn't thrown a long pass,Lachlan Lewis can defend and thats about it but Nathan has got him covered by a mile in other areas,Go watch some Panther games before Maloney's arrival and you will realise what Jimmy has done to his game,also Soward was playing to side to side and thats why Griffin replaced him with a half that played direct to the line.Nathan is already a better half then most.

The delusion of our fan base is quite astonishing at times :rolling_eyes:

franklin2323

Immortal
The strategies, plans, recruitment need to be happening as soon as this season is over, which is basically now.

This has been a really poor season with so much work to be done to address the issues I am far from convinced the powers that be are up to it, quite the opposite.

DWZ, Blake, Maloney gone. Katoa to go. That is 4 starters from last year gone.

Whare and RCG on the chopping block.

Barrett brought in.

We were interested in a current origin forward.

Still in play for Koroisau

So moves are being made whether they are the right ones we won't know for 9 months or so

Kilkenny

Coach
DWZ, Blake, Maloney gone. Katoa to go. That is 4 starters from last year gone.

Whare and RCG on the chopping block.

Barrett brought in.

We were interested in a current origin forward.

Still in play for Koroisau

So moves are being made whether they are the right ones we won't know for 9 months or so

You can add fringe players Sele, Lui-Toso, Fuimaono all told they are not required for 2020 and perhaps Hetherington if rumours about his exit are true. Tyrone May’s future in doubt particularly if his court matter doesn’t go well.

Clearly, as we can see there is a plan to have a clear out, rebuild, call it what you want I guess but looking at a list of off contract players available to recruit for 2020 there isn’t a lot of quality available of established NRL players.

Kilkenny

Coach
P
Penrith has a membership of over 19k and I sometimes wonder why only 20 to 30 people contribute to this Forum then I read a comment like yours. If someone has an opinion they are entitled to it if you disagree then tell him why objectively. Don’t get smug and dump, it ain’t a good look.

I’m sure Daz didn’t intend any offence. We are all pretty much disenchanted with season 2019 and it will be good when it is over and we are put out of our misery.

Pomoz

Bench
I agree that he can't or doesn't do it. It very obviously doesn't come naturally to Nathan. I just figure a grown adult being paid so much who spends so long training could learn these things. Maybe not. Don't even need a halves coach just run some attacking plays and get him to throw a long cut out pass a certain % of the time.
OP if you could coach any skill as easily as that, all clubs would have great players. Simple just coach them.

A great player has a certain natural skill base and coaching brings the most out of those skills. You can't coach vision and quick decision making. The players DNA is the secret sauce. Throwing a cutout pass like Maloney did last week happens because he saw the space. Nathan doesn't see that space very often.

Kilkenny

Coach
OP if you could coach any skill as easily as that, all clubs would have great players. Simple just coach them.

A great player has a certain natural skill base and coaching brings the most out of those skills. You can't coach vision and quick decision making. The players DNA is the secret sauce. Throwing a cutout pass like Maloney did last week happens because he saw the space. Nathan doesn't see that space very often.

The true greats just have the gift it just comes natural to them regardless of the sport.

We’ve only had a couple of true greats in our history they are hard to find.

Nathan ain’t gonna be any more than solid, decent and useful. That’s just the reality. Not his fault it’s just the way it is.

OldPanther

Coach

I will concede you are probably right but I just think some level of hard work should yield results. I'm not expecting him to become JT but surely we can have him play a beneficial role at halfback.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’ve always said the referees have an impossible job. Ive done it myself both rugby league and soccer at junior level and that’s tough never mind trying to officiate at the speed of the game at NRL level.

At the same there are officials Ashley Klein first and foremost, Jason Robinson also comes to mind, who we have an appalling record when they are the lead official in our games.

Ashley Klein is the most arrogant official in the game. He is up himself big time. He does not command respect in my opinion he is so full of himself. If he blundered today in the Raiders v Manly game it doesn’t surprise in the least for the reasons I have mentioned.

Kilkenny

Coach
Penrith has 3 major problems.

1 Brian Fletcher
2 Dave ONeil
3 Ivan Cleary
Nothing will change with Penrith on field and off field results until we rid ourselves of all 3 of these blokes.

Your probably right.

After this season I really don’t know any more.

Thought we had a decent roster with some really good kids coming thru and yet it has been a season to forget.

The only thing I do know for sure is I have no reason to be optimistic about season 2020 given the three persons you mentioned above.

franklin2323

Immortal
You can add fringe players Sele, Lui-Toso, Fuimaono all told they are not required for 2020 and perhaps Hetherington if rumours about his exit are true. Tyrone May’s future in doubt particularly if his court matter doesn’t go well.

Clearly, as we can see there is a plan to have a clear out, rebuild, call it what you want I guess but looking at a list of off contract players available to recruit for 2020 there isn’t a lot of quality available of established NRL players.

Of course those guys too. I meant the top 17 guys from pre Ivan.

There will be others that hit the market that aren't off contract yet. Oct/Nov is the time this stuff happens. We have cap space now which is a start

Panfa

Juniors
Theres always movement in the off season regarding players i wouldnt rush in and just players now for the sake of spending money if there not the right fit dont bother we need 3 to 4 quality players for next season max.

Kilkenny

Coach
The
Theres always movement in the off season regarding players i wouldnt rush in and just players now for the sake of spending money if there not the right fit dont bother we need 3 to 4 quality players for next season max.

The problem is when you review who is off contract from all other NRL clubs there really isn’t a lot of quality to be had.

We probably have more chance of picking up a quality player who is of contract at end of 2020 at there current club but may be willing to come early if given say a three year deal. This was the rumour around the fact we may have been interested in JWH.

Latest posts