What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tristan Sailor

rasaint

Juniors
Hazzbeen, interesting comment about Lomax.

I’ve never really been taken with him like other posters on the forum. Freddy called him the ‘gifted one’. Not saying he isn’t a reasonable player but when has he ever beaten an opposite player and made a decent break? Some players blame McG for deskilling him etc, but never seen him genuinely break out. The opposition handles him well. Even the maligned twins of Lafai and Aiken do make breaks and look dangerous at times.

Very good goal kicker for sure. ZAc is not a fullback because he lacks top end speed.

nontime111

Juniors
hell crank sooner or later if you saw what he did leading up to first grade...he needs to out a tad more beef on, give him 2 years hell be fantastic for us doesnt have to be the quickest hes got it all as a natural footballer

BLM01

First Grade

I’ve never really been taken with him like other posters on the forum. Freddy called him the ‘gifted one’. Not saying he isn’t a reasonable player but when has he ever beaten an opposite player and made a decent break? Some players blame McG for deskilling him etc, but never seen him genuinely break out. The opposition handles him well. Even the maligned twins of Lafai and Aiken do make breaks and look dangerous at times.

Very good goal kicker for sure. ZAc is not a fullback because he lacks top end speed.
Yeh the problem is...how often have you seen him play centre in a NRL game this year.
That is his best poisition.
Think about this if he doesnt (and i agree) have the pace for fullback how does he for the wing.
Mary refuses to drop his so called experienced centres for fear only and they might just get that form back from 2016 when they last were truly damaging for most games and were not defensive liabilities.

mickeylane

Bench

hallelujah! (SLoMax) The most overrated talent since Jackson Hastings! He cant wipe Cotrics or Xerri boots - both younger than him ....hasn't made a clean break in 2 seasons...fortunately Sailor looks like a natural fullback here, knows how to attack and has some speed...we still need 2 centres and 2 wingers IMO..

hazzbeen

Bench

If he (Lomax ) is not playing where he should be at Center , and the continued selection of Aitken and Lafia that are the worst pairing in the comp ,then yes he needs to go elsewhere.... He isn't a winger , or fullback but a very good 3 or 4 .... As you stated he is contained by the opposition and why wouldn't he be playing outside Aitken ..... Anyway a good post by you , but I feel in his rightful position Lomax will be better than the two we have now.....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I thought in the Semi against the Bronco's in front of a sell out crowd Lomax was very impressive. Made a break then kicked the ball for a try after it. Absolute gold. Stood his ground and played exceptional that game. His biggest game and he looked comfortable. That was enough to impress me. Then the season starts and Aitken and Lafai are back to centre and Lomax for no reason loses his spot. That must have filled Lomax with confidence? Another Mary masterstroke.

hazzbeen

Bench
I thought in the Semi against the Bronco's in front of a sell out crowd Lomax was very impressive. Made a break then kicked the ball for a try after it. Absolute gold. Stood his ground and played exceptional that game. His biggest game and he looked comfortable. That was enough to impress me. Then the season starts and Aitken and Lafai are back to centre and Lomax for no reason loses his spot. That must have filled Lomax with confidence? Another Mary masterstroke.
Exactly this he came in played against Bronco's and then followed up sure it was South's and had great games , but as you say Aitken , Lafia week in week out get selected regardless of form ....

Dragonsamy

Bench

Well said slippery

rasaint

Juniors
As stated he goes ok and yes Centre is his best position.

In the Broncos semi from memory Hunt got swung around but slipped a pass to someone then Lomax took a pass from that someone with fresh air in front of him. Kahu from Broncs quickly reeled him in and Zac got a good kick away just as Kahu got to him for a flying Matt Dufty. The rest is history for a top try to finish the match.

Zac had very good defence in both semis and landed great pressure penalty shot in Souths game week later to take lead.

My concern is he lacks genuine speed. Not a slow poke but not quick enough imo. Be honest Xerri is a far better centre. You can not coach speed. Zac tries that tricky little jig to beat the opposition but whilst a sharp move I haven’t seen it outright beat the opposition.

I really hope Zac breaks out and performs in line with the capability that others believe he has.

Old Timer

Coach
As stated he goes ok and yes Centre is his best position.

In the Broncos semi from memory Hunt got swung around but slipped a pass to someone then Lomax took a pass from that someone with fresh air in front of him. Kahu from Broncs quickly reeled him in and Zac got a good kick away just as Kahu got to him for a flying Matt Dufty. The rest is history for a top try to finish the match.

Zac had very good defence in both semis and landed great pressure penalty shot in Souths game week later to take lead.

My concern is he lacks genuine speed. Not a slow poke but not quick enough imo. Be honest Xerri is a far better centre. You can not coach speed. Zac tries that tricky little jig to beat the opposition but whilst a sharp move I haven’t seen it outright beat the opposition.

I really hope Zac breaks out and performs in line with the capability that others believe he has.
Gasnier was not that quick but had a great offload & shimmy to do the work for him so high top end speed isn't everything.
When you have lightening wingers (BMoz like) you just have to present them with opportunities which is something our wingers are not getting under current selection & coaching arrangements.
We all sit here wondering how fast our wingers actually are and we all know we have 1 centre who is a tortoise on 1 leg and has put away his only asset namely his offload and we have a centre with no nous re positioning and has even less ability in respect of passing.
Far too much criticism of young Lomax under the circumstances he is being confronted with.
Lomax just needs half a season unchallenged at centre to show his worth and we are not giving it to him and people in here should understand how devastating it must be for this young bloke and lets face it he isn't the only one who has / is suffering as a result of the most inept period of our club and coaching staff.
Criticise Young, Farrar, Price all you like but the great Mc Fookknuckle outdoes them all for stupidity, self preservation and longevity.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
My favourite back at Saints in the last 10 years lacked speed in Nightingale and I would not have swapped him for anyone. Speed is a great commodity to have but if you have great vision and defense, the that is also just as good. It is probably the reason why the let go of Garrick and bought in Pearson. Pearson had speed (not that we have seen him in open space). I know who I would have rather we had?
Mary has no idea how to utilise speedy players regardless (Dufty perfect example).

slippery5

Juniors
Agreed.

On Nicho Hynes, I thought he looked a promising talent watching him last week for the purple cheaters.

Talented and gutsy.

Can't see him getting much of a chance next year behing their super backline and he's also behind Pap as well.

Dunno if he is contracted or not but could be a handy pick up for us perhaps...
He has just signed to be a full time squad member training with the Storm Weekdays & flying back to Sunny Coast for the weekend Falcons Game, his preferred position is in the halves. He is buying his time waiting for an opportunity to replace Croft, when that happens he will cement his place in the starting side coached by Bellamy.
Option 2: come to the Dragons & play under McNoidea. LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL

slippery5

Juniors
Didn't he also run down Teddy in the Anzac game??

Gareth67

First Grade
I agree with what has been said by other members. - more weight on his frame , selected at center and most importantly have a coach who will allow him the opportunity of securing the position long term. I was about to add a good mentor who could teach him about the center possy itself , however Mary was a good center, but cannot get his experience he had across to his players- shame .

emu62

Juniors
Agreed.

On Nicho Hynes, I thought he looked a promising talent watching him last week for the purple cheaters.

Talented and gutsy.

Can't see him getting much of a chance next year behing their super backline and he's also behind Pap as well.

Dunno if he is contracted or not but could be a handy pick up for us perhaps...

Not sure if this is true but was told Nicho Hynes was a Saints junior up until about 13 years old & told to go elsewhere as no future for him,after went to Manly then Central Coast-

Also told the perspective of our Juniors is to go elsewhere to get a chance. Wrongly or rightly i dont know. Coming from someone who has a bit to do with junior football
Seems like shit really does flow down hill

George Dragon

Juniors
Not sure if this is true but was told Nicho Hynes was a Saints junior up until about 13 years old & told to go elsewhere as no future for him,after went to Manly then Central Coast-

Also told the perspective of our Juniors is to go elsewhere to get a chance. Wrongly or rightly i dont know. Coming from someone who has a bit to do with junior football
Seems like shit really does flow down hill
lmao 13yo being told to look elsewhere 2 years before Harold Matt get f**ked
He was from the Central Coast and and played Manly junior reps

nontime111

Juniors
My favourite back at Saints in the last 10 years lacked speed in Nightingale and I would not have swapped him for anyone. Speed is a great commodity to have but if you have great vision and defense, the that is also just as good. It is probably the reason why the let go of Garrick and bought in Pearson. Pearson had speed (not that we have seen him in open space). I know who I would have rather we had?
Mary has no idea how to utilise speedy players regardless (Dufty perfect example).
this is a great report....I was just on my bushwalk here in WA thinking how Lomax would be a better centre than Aitken and exactly why...to me anyway as just an armchair coach
I think more breaks are made by natural footballers and ballplayers with much variation in their game, Lomax has it all....even a kicker unlike Aitken so a natural ballplayers ability to me as that of Lomax will always be a more effective asset to the team than a player who only tries to bash or barge his way through attack lines like Eue

my only other thought today was we really should keep Dufty! hes so young...and had this idiot stifling himjobviously telling him to ONLY do the one thing...most of the game...I bet if a real coach got hold of him, well all these kids would develop...id personally love to see Brownie get hold of Duff, Field, Luch, Ford, Sailor and Lomax oh man we have the CATTLE just a idiot farmer with NO idea at all about tactics or how to nurture kids into full packages of players... Dufty will get better, man SO much better...his ceiling like Lomax is HUGE but for Eue, he reached his floor and peaked last year early rounds to me...but with the right coach he will develop also...I despise Mary so much now each time I see his face I rile, really get angry...just the way he says he bleeds red n white but WONT STEP DOWN and let a BETTER coach...make us a BETTER team..

I hate dissliking ANY Saints player...or coach, I never have...never hated an individual player but its truly a sad day for me now actually personally disliking Mary... if he truly w LOVES St George Illawarra how the heck can he remain after being such a serial FAILURE as a coach for 5 years and still look t himself in the mirror?? thats one hell of a Narcissist and towering ego of the likes ive never seen
Bulldogs mate was saying yesterday the same thing...saying what a GREAT roster we have...and as soon as hes gone anyone would do a better job...

Could you imagine if you, or I or ANY of our MAD [passionate fellow fans here were in Marys position and just cared so much for the team...but knew they didnt have the talent and there not up to it, seeing so much failure...wed walk, any of us would and would have 2 or 3 years ago thats why i dislike him, only HE can fall on his sword...its not for the greater good of the team as a player this is drilled into you, this sacrifice...he does not...not a team player nor true fan hates us only there for the money...

nontime111

Juniors
Gasnier was not that quick but had a great offload & shimmy to do the work for him so high top end speed isn't everything.
When you have lightening wingers (BMoz like) you just have to present them with opportunities which is something our wingers are not getting under current selection & coaching arrangements.
We all sit here wondering how fast our wingers actually are and we all know we have 1 centre who is a tortoise on 1 leg and has put away his only asset namely his offload and we have a centre with no nous re positioning and has even less ability in respect of passing.
Far too much criticism of young Lomax under the circumstances he is being confronted with.
Lomax just needs half a season unchallenged at centre to show his worth and we are not giving it to him and people in here should understand how devastating it must be for this young bloke and lets face it he isn't the only one who has / is suffering as a result of the most inept period of our club and coaching staff.
Criticise Young, Farrar, Price all you like but the great Mc Fookknuckle outdoes them all for stupidity, self preservation and longevity.
nailed it old chap!!! spot on exactly!!! Imagine poor Lomax...did all the work...for years...got the chance in a final BAM! delivers like THA he was amazing those 2 games and it said it all! then...come next season...AITKEN or LAUGHAI are picked BOTH above you!!

Id be pissed also , lowest act ive ever seen a coach pull , yes and also the most stupid and ignorant of rugby league...