What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 3rd Test Australia v England, Leeds Aug 22-26

Bazal

Post Whore
Well it could have if our idiot captain would quit burning them and using it like a make a wish system.

But if we want to take it out of the players hands and allow the umpire to decide. Even that's not perfect, would Wilson have gone upstairs? Ball tracking takes a while so they can't check every appeal either.

The NFL has the coaches review, but I don't see how that could work in cricket.

50/50 reviews are retained with umpires call decisions.

If anyone can think of a fool proof system, I'd love to hear it.

If not for the howler four balls later or whatever we all accept the hail mary review as exactly that. Revisionist history to blame that for a clear umpiring error.

Each team should have one review. Umpires call is either always out or always not out so that it's consistent. Review resets after 80 overs. Two reviews gives too much opportunity for a captain to just check out whether there's a millimeter or two in his favour, one is like gold.

Even then, in that situation, you'd see a hail Mary 99 times out of 100

Fangs

Coach
That was painful to watch.

Well done Ben Stokes. Incredible performance. But disappointing captaincy from Paine.

Series still alive, Steve Smith to return. 4th test will be huge.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Like straight up not even mad at the loss because I still can't wrap my head around what happened ay.
Massive credit to Stokes regardless of our incompetence. He deserves a lot more credit than what we are giving him with our obvious wounded pride and being flat out deflated... Amazing knock you souless merkin.

Zadar

Juniors
Hello darkness my old friend :D

I can't function being tired at work but I've totally missed out on one of the sporting moments of a lifetime tbh. My loss...

You did tommy, highlights are great, but gee you can never relive that pressure and excitement without watching it live, I have never been more enthralled in an innings like that, every ball I thought this was it, every 6 that just cleared the fence, the Lyon missed run out, leach’s perfect defence.

Ben Stokes seemed like the pressure was lifted after they were 9 down, but still didn’t just swing at everything, it was measured and calm.

Ben Stokes should be knighted for that innings alone, and anyone who gets beat up by him in a drunken state in the future should consider themselves privileged.

Timbo

Staff member
Peopke are knocking the DRS system when if anything, last night showed why the system works. The DRS was designed to remove the howler, not to test the 50/50 call. We took the poor risk (Cummins review) and paid the ultimate price of it not being available for the howler. Our fault!.

I mean, it’s still not great that Joel Wilson - one of the alleged best dozen umpires on the planet - didn’t give one that was so dead it was clear to my non cricket following wife who was asleep in bed.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Wow, Stokes.

Lmao at the "Tim Paine should have done this" or "this bowler should have done that" crowd... Fact is that is a straight up unbelievable performance from Ben Stokes. Credit where it's due.

If that little Sri Lankan fella had the best hundred of all time in South Africa, Stokes is a very, very close second.

We score another 130 runs like i had been saying and england arent chasing it.

Weve tossed away the ashes with gutless batting and poor captaincy.

Stokes played one of the greatest innings ever but we threw away the game

Bazal

Post Whore
I mean, it’s still not great that Joel Wilson - one of the alleged best dozen umpires on the planet - didn’t give one that was so dead it was clear to my non cricket following wife who was asleep in bed.

Yeah. He is the worst umpire since Bucknor went senile.

Take nothing away from England though.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just read through this thread after I drifted off to the land of nod last night. What a ride Haynetrain you hilarious merkin and all the rest of you brave soldiers who sat through that epic choke. I salute you.

Last but not least Tim Paine you useless merkin. He’s Mike Brearley without the good captaincy.

Bazal

Post Whore
We score another 130 runs like i had been saying and england arent chasing it.

Weve tossed away the ashes with gutless batting and poor captaincy.

Stokes played one of the greatest innings ever but we threw away the game

We take one wicket with the second new rock and England aren't chasing it.

Easy to harp on the aspect you disliked

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We take one wicket with the second new rock and England aren't chasing it.

Easy to harp on the aspect you disliked

Sure we bowled badly. The tactics were either completely wrong or the bowlers just lost the plot.

But we score those extra 130 and england are done. We handed them the easiest time to bat on top of it. Im annoyed because I had been saying since we bowled england out the first time we needed a big lead and the game wasnt over. Apparently this is bed wetting ?

As soon as khawaja nicked out i knew we were going to lose, i could just feel it

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I would not be surprised if Paine is replaced before the home summer by Head.

The reviews were bad, but what was he doing with all nine back on the rope? He gave Stokes 30 of those runs with easy singles.

That was the most frustrating thing. He was giving stokes a single in exchange for leach facing one ball. Bring the field up earlier and we could potentially bowl 6 balls at leech for the cost of 4 or 6 runs. This is a good exchange when we have 70 runs in hand. Heck maybe even stokes f**ks up with the field up

Bazal

Post Whore
Sure we bowled badly. The tactics were either completely wrong or the bowlers just lost the plot.

But we score those extra 130 and england are done. We handed them the easiest time to bat on top of it. Im annoyed because I had been saying since we bowled england out the first time we needed a big lead and the game wasnt over. Apparently this is bed wetting ?

As soon as khawaja nicked out i knew we were going to lose, i could just feel it

England were a 1 in 100 chance to win with the total we had.

Even less at 9 down. Sure there were a few moments we'd like to have done better but the fact is Stokes was brilliant and it was an absolute miracle win.

TheFrog

Coach

Rugby League's biggest fear is that a Grand Final will be decided by a wrong refs call, and here we see exactly that happen in cricket for the second time in a few short weeks.