What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 3rd Test Australia v England, Leeds Aug 22-26

Bazal

Post Whore
A miracle win that could have been prevented with better batting.

Or better bowling. Or a bit of luck with some of Barstow and Stokes's tinny shots. Or Lyon catching a run out. Or Joel Wilson having functional eyes.

Plenty of other things to harp on if you only want to look at the negatives. That's the ebb and flow of test cricket. We should definitely have had enough runs.

But we're obviously at complete odds about that fact so hey, let's just agree to disagree

Jason Maher

Immortal
England were a 1 in 100 chance to win with the total we had.

Even less at 9 down. Sure there were a few moments we'd like to have done better but the fact is Stokes was brilliant and it was an absolute miracle win.

1 in 100? With the pitch flattening out and 2.5 days left to bat in perfect sunny conditions? That's a stretch. Sure we were favourites, but not unbackable in those circumstances. You speak as if we still have McGrath and Warne and Mark Taylor or Steve Waugh as captain.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I'd just assumed JJ deactivated his account and was out playing tennis somewhere. Seems to be quite active this morning on LU. Funny, that.

Timbo

Staff member
1 in 100? With the pitch flattening out and 2.5 days left to bat in perfect sunny conditions? That's a stretch. Sure we were favourites, but not unbackable in those circumstances. You speak as if we still have McGrath and Warne and Mark Taylor or Steve Waugh as captain.

They had to chase the highest fourth innings total that they have ever chased, all time.

One in a hundred isn’t unfair.

Meth

Staff member
Hey, this seems like an obvious thing to say and it also seems like something that I say on these occasions, but how comparatively shit is T20? You just won't see that kind of drama or even the drama that we saw in the CWC final is T20.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
They had to chase the highest fourth innings total that they have ever chased, all time.

One in a hundred isn’t unfair.

Again most (at least in the modern game) 4th innings chases are started on like day 4 and require the use of day 5.

This started on day 3. Plenty of teams set big scores when batting on a day 3 pitch

tumbidragon

First Grade
Exciting finish but we won that by a million runs.
Still had to get the wickets or would of been a draw, regardless of how much you put on the board. Can't remember the context of the series though. Think we may of had it sewn up?
Hey, this seems like an obvious thing to say and it also seems like something that I say on these occasions, but how comparatively shit is T20? You just won't see that kind of drama or even the drama that we saw in the CWC final is T20.
Can't stand the Mickey mouse garbage! Completely ruined the quality of test batting imo.

Last edited:

Meapro Ham

Juniors
I would not be surprised if Paine is replaced before the home summer by Head.

The reviews were bad, but what was he doing with all nine back on the rope? He gave Stokes 30 of those runs with easy singles.

Even worse than all the easy singles were all the easy twos that Stokes was getting because the field was so far back all he had to do was chip in space and run two. Was allowed to keep the strike and keep the score ticking with no risk at all.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
I still feel that Australia are by far the better team with Smith back. It just depends how well they can bounce back from the psychological scars of last night. That won’t be easy. But if they can put it behind them it’s still a very winnable series. We still only need to win one or draw two matches. Smith needs to be captain though. Let Paine keep the title with Smith unofficially in charge.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd like to see Head given a go but not sure he's much better.

The leaders didn't handle the pressure Stokes put on in those last ten overs or so very well. Paine is a decent captain but his lack of experience in the role showed there

TheParraboy

Staff member
I thought poms chasing down the runs was always a decent chance, regardless of the record

You have to ask yourself, had we been able to keep batting at what point would Paine declare? I dare say nothing under 450, leaving more than 2 days to bowl them out

blaza88z

Coach
Incredibly embarrassing stuff from Paine, he's done f**k all with the bat, his captaincy (even when they needed 70 or so, was very passive, he just let Stokes control the game without trying to apply any pressure), wasted review on what is a simple cricket rule.

He won't get axed or anything like that because he's the poster boy for what the mothers want to see in the captain of the national team when signing their children up to play club cricket but he has lost the public's respect in the worst way possible, you'd almost rather lose it taking a bit of sandpaper out there, to lose it through humiliating yourself out there with horrendous captaincy, I can't see how he can come back from that.

From now until the day he retires everyone will remember him for what we seen unfold at Headingly.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Incredibly embarrassing stuff from Paine, he's done f**k all with the bat, his captaincy (even when they needed 70 or so, was very passive, he just let Stokes control the game without trying to apply any pressure), wasted review on what is a simple cricket rule.

He won't get axed or anything like that because he's the poster boy for what the mothers want to see in the captain of the national team when signing their children up to play club cricket but he has lost the public's respect in the worst way possible, you'd almost rather lose it taking a bit of sandpaper out there, to lose it through humiliating yourself out there with horrendous captaincy, I can't see how he can come back from that.

From now until the day he retires everyone will remember him for what we seen unfold at Headingly.

it will depend what happens next two tests

needs to turn it around with runs and captaincy (having Smith on the field will help)

Latest posts