What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking News - Nathan Brown to depart Knights at seasons end

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla! said:
There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away

Alex28

Coach
It is unbelievable if no one from the playing group responded to his offer.

The captain should be going back to him with some form of response. Just ridiculous.

It's themselves and the fans that this team (I use that word loosely) have let down.
I'd give Ponga a break after his comment.

Alex28

Coach
Why does one of the highest paid players in the team “get a break” so consistently?

Want to paid like a leader? Act like one.

Burns

First Grade
The mood is going to be toxic on Saturday. If they lose; will they be booed off?

Bartwah

Juniors
Gardner rejected his offer, so Brown will stick around for the final two weeks.

If I was Brown, I’d drop the senior players not putting in and pick guys like King, Buhrer and a couple of rookies. Some of these players don’t deserve to run out on old boys day.

The next two rounds are also a very good indicator for the incoming coach to see which players actually give a shit about the club and have a bit of pride in the jersey and themselves.
100% agree with this. I’d rather have a great clubman like Buhrer in the side than half the blokes that didn’t want to turn up last weekend. For the blokes to not even reply to Browny when he asked if they wanted him to leave immediately, shows what kind of spineless pricks they are. Passionate knights supporter here, but pretty pissed off on how it’s all gone down. Good luck to the next coach

Bartwah

Juniors
The mood is going to be toxic on Saturday. If they lose; will they be booed off?
100%. I don’t agree with booing your own team off, but if they put in another effort like last weekend, I’ll be one of the ones booing

Burns

First Grade
I genuinely wonder how much worse/deeper this goes. Something seems utterly broken at the moment.

perverse

Referee
We would have hung, drawn and quartered the likes of Steve Burraston for this level of mess. Actually, we did when we got rid of Smithy.

It really surprised me that they thought they could hit the market for a coach and not have Brown hear about it on the rumour mill. For sure, line up a replacement before you get rid of him... but while our season is on the line is just bad timing. Would we really have missed out on O'Brien had we waited another month? Unlikely.

Spot On

Coach
Browny took a punt on the million dollar half... thought they were pretty tight???

Seems to have gradually deteriorated since the Ramien sacking.

"
Speaking on Triple M’s Sunday NRL show, Brown responded to Johns’ furious spray, also saying he chose to announce his resignation immediately to avoid rumours because ‘the truth always gets out in rugby league’.

“[Coaches] put themselves in a situation where you need to win games of rugby league,” he said.

“It doesn’t matter what other people may or may not say or think of me, at the end of the day if you win enough games, the noises don’t matter. If you lose enough games you end up in a situation where you might be off-side with a few players or whatever, it doesn’t matter what it is."
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...y/news-story/1acc2dc1ef692b505a0f641467d87157

We would have hung, drawn and quartered the likes of Steve Burraston for this level of mess. Actually, we did when we got rid of Smithy.

It really surprised me that they thought they could hit the market for a coach and not have Brown hear about it on the rumour mill. For sure, line up a replacement before you get rid of him... but while our season is on the line is just bad timing. Would we really have missed out on O'Brien had we waited another month? Unlikely.
I agree to some extent that you might want to put feelers out to get a step up.
It could potentially compromise other opportunities though.
The way to go is as they are now when they short-list and interview and take in feedback.
Approaching O'Brien early might have influenced other decisions. Fitzgibbon might have been aware of it and others might think they have less of a chance with O'Brien being approached early.
Add that, to me, it's a disincentive when there's knowledge that dealings might be made behind your back.
Maybe the one thing Brown wishes he had handled better was not laying his cards on the table in the earlier meeting with Gardner.
If a decision was made then and it was all transparent we'd have a transparent process and possibly a commitment to do the best with the rest of the season.

Yosh

Coach

I dunno... Surely everyone can agree we are getting a great deal with O'Brian coming in with a whole preseason to get the lads playing the way he wants.

Also, call me a glass half full kinda guy but isn't it better the players have no alliance toward Brown? Wouldn't want some of the players to be attached to Brown and not give it their all to the new coach etc.

It's always gonna get worse than it gets better. All things considered, we got the new best coach available, kept all the good players. I don't see what the real issue is. We could have made the finals. So what? Get kicked out first round anyway.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I dunno... Surely everyone can agree we are getting a great deal with O'Brian coming in with a whole preseason to get the lads playing the way he wants.

Also, call me a glass half full kinda guy but isn't it better the players have no alliance toward Brown? Wouldn't want some of the players to be attached to Brown and not give it their all to the new coach etc.

It's always gonna get worse than it gets better. All things considered, we got the new best coach available, kept all the good players. I don't see what the real issue is. We could have made the finals. So what? Get kicked out first round anyway.
Not saying O'Brien doesn't have great credentials, but that doesn't definitely mean he's going to be a quality coach either.

Out of all the options I'd lean towards O'Brien, but I would've liked a longer interviewing process with multiple coaches before being this set on a decision. We have a bit of time for that, surely

Old dog

Juniors
Can’t see dropping players for non response as who knows what was decided, Buhrer would be in the senior group along with Pearce, Klemmer, Glasby etc.
If anyone was to respond to coach then it should be the Captain who might be accompanied by some Senior players, but it all comes back to the Captain.
His only out is, if don’t respond he will see it out, but that’s the cowards way out.
I find it odd that we have ex Roosters players including our Captain and we are now looking at a Roosters assistant coach as our senior coach
I am not a great believer in COINCIDENCES.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If I am Brown, I am grabbing the family, the passports and getting on a plane to New Caledonia.

They don't play league or speak English.

Go surf, come back in three weeks.

Knight Vision

First Grade
In Brown's presser of resignation he mentioned the younger players now have " Klemmer and Glasby as role models to show them how to live away from the field" - note the Captain wasnt mentioned ? ...imagine Bellamy not mentioning the Smith?

In an interview Pearce stopped mid sentence when describing Brown. Choosing words carefully he said " He's been good for MY game " they were the only words of praise.

A true Captain would have called a presser appeared before the media praised his coach and thanking him for his great service. Rallied the playing group, lead by example on the field and pushed for the finals.

In interviews Pearce has appeared to have had a big night, just as he did before this weekends game.

Pearce is our new Mullen, a mental midget.

Knight Vision

First Grade
It is unbelievable if no one from the playing group responded to his offer.

The captain should be going back to him with some form of response. Just ridiculous.
IF true then Pearce isnt a Captain not a leader and someone we should have setting the culture we want at the club. It's pathetic.