What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking News - Nathan Brown to depart Knights at seasons end

Knight76

Juniors
I saw the interview before the tigers game with Pearce and he honestly looked shitfaced.

i don't know if the player revolt at the club against Brown is that bad that the players tanked that game to avoid making the semi's so they were not coached by Brown longer than they had to be.

Whats the deal with Ramien then. The story was that senior players approached Brown and said he had to go, Brown acted and the players told him he made the right decision. Nek minute, players are against Brown to the point they can't tell him if he should stay or not, not even an answer.

But, what sort of coach goes to his players cap in hand and says er, blokes, do you want me around anymore, I could go now if you like, hold a vote and let me know!

What the fek is going on up there?

"
The naivety of the Newcastle Knights and their boss Phil Gardner is disturbing.

The symbol for where they are at will remain Kalyn Ponga sucking back on his strawberry thickshake last week as news arrived that the Knights had sacked his coach Nathan Brown.

“I was at lunch having a nice strawberry thickshake so I wasn’t too sad,” Ponga said

Ponga is at a vulnerable age but is already being sucked into the wider politics at Newcastle, with detrimental effect.

Gardner is making the classic mistake of assuming that because he is an expert in one industry it automatically makes him an expert in a neighbouring one.

Just because he knows the licensed club industry, heading the powerful Wests Leagues Club group that owns the Knights, does not guarantee he knows the particular politics of rugby league.

The cemetery for others who assumed the same is always growing.

It takes a pocketful of brains or a pocketful of cash to navigate your way out of trouble in the NRL. The Knights are heading for one while assuming it is the other.

He totally cocked up the negotiations with incoming Knights coach Adam O’Brien, effectively sabotaging any chance the Knights had of making this year’s finals when news leaked.

That some players were allowed to be part of the coup reinforces the naivety of their actions.

The players spoke about Brown’s sacking last week and appeared largely unmoved. They insisted it was merely part of professional sport, an apparent reason for their lack of shock.

Their professionalism did not carry through to their performance on Saturday night, though, when a Wests Tigers outfit with $2 million sitting on the sideline went through them like Raper’s Dragons.

“We really let our coach down, we let our fans down, and as a team it was totally unacceptable,” captain Mitch Pearce said on Monday.

“Weak minds,” Andrew Johns called it.

Several directors remained concerned at Gardner’s behaviour. They had no knowledge of the backroom game to secretly woo O’Brien, even as the season was on the line. Neither did Knights director of football Brian Canavan.

Trouble began, as best as anyone can tell, about eight weeks ago when Brown told Gardner that recruitment boss Troy Pezet had to go.

Brown had lost trust in him. In any normal business a head coach telling the boss that relations with a lower-tiered employee had become unworkable would be the end of him.

But it was a fatal mistake for Brown.

He did not know that in the past 12 months Gardner and Pezet had formed a strong alliance.

Pezet, a former player from the 1990s, has operated around rugby league for many years without any great success. He managed players for a while before finally moving into junior football.

Between them, it seems Pezet and Gardner have realised they can benefit each other.

Pezet can tip to Gardner on football matters he should already know, and which would make him appear like he knows in the often murky world of NRL politics, while the powerful Gardner could take Pezet to places he has long dreamed to be.

Soon after Brown wanted to offload Pezet it has emerged Gardner, on the quiet, sent Pezet to have a meeting with O’Brien.

It was a naïve move. Some club officials have wondered why the Knights would disrespect the Roosters by secretly approaching their assistant, when the two clubs had an amicable relationship.

More trickery is afoot, though.

At the same time O’Brien was being wooed by Ponga, the Knights superstar, began seeking an upgrade and extension to his contract.

But Gardner told Ponga’s father Andre Ponga they won’t discuss an upgrade while Wayde Rushton remains his manager. Andre Ponga told Rushton this earlier this month, a day before Rushton left for America.

The reason why Gardner delivered the ultimatum is mysterious. There seems no reasonable explanation.

Rushton delivered what was then considered a massive deal for the unproven Ponga and has not done him a disservice since.

It has put Ponga in a position where the sooner he discards Rushton the quicker he gets his upgrade and extension. But they have a contract until October next year.

At the same time Gardner has told Andre Ponga he can introduce him to another player manager, Isaac Moses.

Moses happens to also be the manager for O’Brien, soon to be appointed the head coach.

It would link the club’s coach with the club’s future in a way beyond management’s control.

A loop that closes once it is understood Pezet and Moses once worked together at David Riolo’s Titan Management.

It is a small world rugby league. For some, it gets smaller by the minute."
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...3d4c65efd4ab48&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium

Knight Vision

First Grade
What a contrast hearing Keary and Aubusson talk about O'brien leaving the Roosters compared to Pearce talking about Brown's departure.

All is not well with the playing group that's for sure.

Old dog

Juniors
It would appear that some people have a lot to answer for throughout the club, management, coaching staff and players, some if not all would have known, rumours etc, what was going on and some have kept quiet rather than let those that matter, fans, know what was going on. I feel saddened that this has happened, I feel sorry for Brown, not a great coach but a nice bloke and I feel sorry for those players that have come through the wooden spoon era to have this happen when things just started to look up. I do not feel sad for those that have come here over the past season or two as they seem to be involved or at least allowing a minority to flourish.

Yosh

Coach
It basically impossible to look at the situation objectively since none of us have any real insider information. To be honest I'm not too concerned with betrayals and what not. I just want to see Newcastle become a successful club. Even if everyone thinks we are arseholes. The fans deserve some success.

mozza91

Coach
Not sure how much weight to put in that DT article. Not known for their truthiness.
It’s amazing how they know every detail about something that’s been going on for months but have said absolutely nothing about it until after the announcement was made last week.

Knight76

Juniors
It basically impossible to look at the situation objectively since none of us have any real insider information. To be honest I'm not too concerned with betrayals and what not. I just want to see Newcastle become a successful club. Even if everyone thinks we are arseholes. The fans deserve some success.

The more successful the club becomes, the more other teams fans will think our club arseholes.

It's the price of success.

Spot On

Coach
Did anyone think Pearce was leadership material???? This really should not come as a surprise to RL fans.

Brown sowed that seed.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
What do you base that on? I haven't seen it.

Just talk mainly. Apparently prepares well, professional in all he does, and has been taking the younger forwards under his wing.

Also does the little things, and keeps a cool head.

Klem is the other obvious candidate, but doesn't keep his cool.

We get to the crux of the matter here don't we though - there aren't many obvious leaders in the group. are there? You look at most achieving clubs, and there are 5-6 candidates for leadership. Here?

Knight Vision

First Grade
To be honest I'm not too concerned with betrayals and what not. I just want to see Newcastle become a successful club. Even if everyone thinks we are arseholes.
Success built on lack of decency and honour will be fleeting. Long term success is built on principles. Preferably the principles which are a reflection of the people the club represents.

perverse

Referee
Just talk mainly. Apparently prepares well, professional in all he does, and has been taking the younger forwards under his wing.

Also does the little things, and keeps a cool head.

Klem is the other obvious candidate, but doesn't keep his cool.

We get to the crux of the matter here don't we though - there aren't many obvious leaders in the group. are there? You look at most achieving clubs, and there are 5-6 candidates for leadership. Here?
Pearce has it in him on the field. I can't speak for off the field, but it's not looking good at the moment. Definitely a leadership vacuum at the club, though... and there has been since Joey retired.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Glasby strikes me as the best leader TBH.
would have been better than Pearce. Guerra also but he hasnt been on field much at all.
there aren't many obvious leaders in the group. are there? You look at most achieving clubs, and there are 5-6 candidates for leadership. Here?
Correct. None worthy of mention. No strong leader that stands out.

Pearce is a follower not a leader of men. He lacks the demeanor and composure of a leader. The Captaincy would only add pressure to a lightweight mentally fragile person like Pearce. He'd be better without it.

perverse

Referee
No-one was complaining about Pearce's leadership when he was dragging the club kicking and screaming to wins. All 16 of the blokes with him were feeding off it and thriving on it. He has it in him, I've seen it in action. We all have.

I reckon Brown was (naturally) hurting in the interview he gave alongside Gardner.
He tried to put forward that he accepted it and was well off and would be ok. He will be.
He mentioned that the team would be ok since teams are used to having coaches come and go. Some do well straight after a coach change but look at where the real success is.
Bennett held a long tenure as a successful coach. Bellamy has been coach of the Strom for yonks.
To sustain form from season to season you need the structure in place to support it. We hoped we had developed a strong foundation but it seems not. I don't expect O'Brien to last more than one contract or to take us to a premiership.