What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Next Coach

Our Next Coach for 2021

• Total voters

SAP58

Juniors
I think the only way Greenberg will let Flanagan back is via an assistants role. He ticks the box having played for us even though it was only for one year so he gets my vote will come in as an assistant next year & take over from McFool when his results don’t change next year. Hopefully before half the team leave.

possm

Coach
Well might you discuss "new coach" but what type of roster will he inherit if all the rumours about our players are even remotely true?
Not much benefit in getting a good coach with a busted roster that will hang around his neck for 2 or 3 more years.
If their is no announcement by normal season end re Mc Fookknuckle then he should see out 2020 and Millward should be heavily restrained re retention & acquisition as after all "coach has the squad that he wants".
An announcement should be made re a new coach for 2021 by round 8 of 2020 and then that coach should be consulted re who to keep, who to let go and who to buy.
Too late Old Timer. We need a new coach for 2020 or we will take years to build a roster to the current standard.

We have the makings of a good roster if only our recruitment staff and coaching staff would follow convention. If we buy a new fullback then all we will really need in the backline is a left centre:

Fullback - New Fullback or Lomax

Left Wing - Saab
Right Wing - Ravalawa, Pearson or Pereira

Left Centre - New Centre or Lafai
Right Centre - New Centre or Lomax

Five Eighth - Norman, Hunt or Sailor
Halfback - Hunt or Norman

There will be a lot of pressure on Millward to retain the players we want to keep, piss off the deadwood and recruit some good first grade players. No hiding behind the old boys any longer, it is crunch time and he has to do the business in order to save us from years of re-building. Who to keep? I would keep the following players if we have the chance to do so.

Backs
Lomax
Saab
Ravalawa
Sailor
Norman

Let go: Hunt, Dufty, Aitken, Field, Masters, Maranta, and Lafai. approx. 2.5m cap saving to spend our backline.
Pearson and Pereira good reserve grade backups.

Forwards
Vaughan
K Sims
Timm
Kerr
Leilua
Ford
Lawrie
Frizell
McInnes

Let go: Robson, Host, Graham, Latimore and Allgood. approx. 1.3m cap saving to spend in the forwards.
Replace De Belin with RCG 3 yr deal.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Too late Old Timer. We need a new coach for 2020 or we will take years to build a roster to the current standard.

We have the makings of a good roster if only our recruitment staff and coaching staff would follow convention. If we buy a new fullback then all we will really need in the backline is a left centre:

Left Wing - Saab

There will be a lot of pressure on Millward to retain the players we want to keep, piss off the deadwood and recruit some good first grade players. No hiding behind the old boys any longer, it is crunch time and he has to do the business in order to save us from years of re-building. Who to keep? I would keep the following players if we have the chance to do so.

Backs
Lomax
Saab
Ravalawa
Sailor
Norman

Let go: Hunt, Dufty, Aitken, Field, Masters, Maranta, and Lafai. approx. 2.5m cap saving to spend our backline.

Forwards
Vaughan
K Sims
Timm
Kerr
Leilua
Ford
Lawrie
Frizell
McInnes

Let go: Robson, Host, Graham, Latimore and Allgood. approx. 1.3m cap saving to spend in the forwards.
I reckon Sailor and Normy could strike up a nice combo. Then once Normy retires and Sailor is more dominant bring in Sullivan.

Old Timer

Coach

Left Wing - Saab

Backs
Lomax
Saab
Ravalawa
Sailor
Norman

Forwards
Vaughan
K Sims
Timm
Kerr
Leilua
Ford
Lawrie
Frizell
McInnes

You need to read my post carefully.
I didn’t say we didn’t need a new coach right now but I did say if they can’t get one organised by the end of this season then better to get organised fully next year for 2021.
Re your team there is so much I can’t agree with and it is your upteenth attempt to line up your ducks.
K Sims & Norman are shit, the wingers save Saab are diabolical, Sailor is trialling at FB and you gave in the halves, Host would excel under any reasonable coach, RCG had 1 good season and is now not worth a cracker.
If no new coach is offered by the end of this season and they do decide to get rid of the great Mc Grinner next season then the only person you will get is another dud or the man I have long touted as the short priced favourite for the job Millward.
I suspect good bloke Mc Grinner doesn’t even suspect that Millward is the stalking horse in all of if this and has been for a long time.

possm

Coach
I didn’t say we didn’t need a new coach right now but I did say if they can’t get one organised by the end of this season then better to get organised fully next year for 2021.
Re your team there is so much I can’t agree with and it is your upteenth attempt to line up your ducks.
K Sims & Norman are shit, the wingers save Saab are diabolical, Sailor is trialling at FB and you gave in the halves, Host would excel under any reasonable coach, RCG had 1 good season and is now not worth a cracker.
If no new coach is offered by the end of this season and they do decide to get rid of the great Mc Grinner next season then the only person you will get is another dud or the man I have long touted as the short priced favourite for the job Millward.
I suspect good bloke Mc Grinner doesn’t even suspect that Millward is the stalking horse in all of if this and has been for a long time.
I don't want to see Millward as coach however, if the old boys make it so, you can bet your last dollar that Millward will insist that recruitment returns under the umbrella of the Head Coach.

In the old boys club there is absolutely no shame and because they cannot be held accountable through the voting of the fans/members, they just live in a bubble and do what they wish.

St Georgio

Juniors
Having won the 1999 Championship, St Helens under Millward contested in the 2000 World Club Challenge against National Rugby League Premiers the Melbourne Storm and lost.

Under Millward, St Helens reached the 2000 Super League Grand Final and defeated Wigan Warriors, retaining their title. He took St Helens to the 2002 Super League Grand Final which they won against the Bradford Bulls. They also won the Rugby League Challenge Cup in 2001 and 2004 and the World Club Challenge in 2001. In 2001 Millward was named Super League Coach of the Year!
Give McGregors finals two years to Ian Millward and make Nathan Brown assistant and watch the trophy cabinet fill with many great moments.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Having won the 1999 Championship, St Helens under Millward contested in the 2000 World Club Challenge against National Rugby League Premiers the Melbourne Storm and lost.

Under Millward, St Helens reached the 2000 Super League Grand Final and defeated Wigan Warriors, retaining their title. He took St Helens to the 2002 Super League Grand Final which they won against the Bradford Bulls. They also won the Rugby League Challenge Cup in 2001 and 2004 and the World Club Challenge in 2001. In 2001 Millward was named Super League Coach of the Year!
Give McGregors finals two years to Ian Millward and make Nathan Brown assistant and watch the trophy cabinet fill with many great moments.
Nice copy & paste from Wikipedia.....

Old Timer

Coach
You fail to provide the results he “achieved” after leaving Super league heavyweights St Helen’s
3 clubs and 51 games for 11 wins and apparently despised by clubs and players
As we are no St Helen’s at the time you mention and remembering it is > 15 years ago I see no value / upside in the numbers you posted.

St Georgio

Juniors
Fact mate, it is called research Paul, Ian Millward has rolled out the Red Carpet for McGregor building a premiership winning team.
It's like Getting a great Engine Builder like Ian Millward and giving it to an Idiot who is totally overwhelmed by it's power, pedal to the Metal without any understanding that everything has it's Limitation.
Larry Perkins retired from driving in 2003, aged 53 and was inducted into the V8 Supercars Hall of Fame in 2008. In addition to his racing credentials as a driver he is an accomplished automotive engineer and engine-builder having built many race cars for both his own team and for other racing teams. He is well known for his outgoing and humorous personality. His nickname is "LP", but he is often referred to as "Lightning Larry" or "Larrikin Larry". Larry is the father of V8 Supercar race winner Jack Perkins.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You fail to provide the results he “achieved” after leaving Super league heavyweights St Helen’s
3 clubs and 51 games for 11 wins and apparently despised by clubs and players
As we are no St Helen’s at the time you mention and remembering it is > 15 years ago I see no value / upside in the numbers you posted.
Yeah, I posted no numbers..

Seems you’ve got me mixed up with someone else..

Anyway, I await your abuse in response to me pointing out your f**kup..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I don't want to see Millward as coach however, if the old boys make it so, you can bet your last dollar that Millward will insist that recruitment returns under the umbrella of the Head Coach.

In the old boys club there is absolutely no shame and because they cannot be held accountable through the voting of the fans/members, they just live in a bubble and do what they wish.
I reckon recruitment should be primarily dealt with by the head coach. They may have trusted talent scouts etc and someone to handle the salary cap, but the coach should hire and fire i reckon.

Latest posts