What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 R24 Sun - Sharks 14-15* Raiders @ PointsBet

Round 24: Sharks v Raiders

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frailty

First Grade
Sharks are rubbish and drag teams down with boring negative play. Get ready for a shit penalty fest.

Penalties conceded:

Raiders - ranked 4th with 160
Sharks - ranked 8th with 147

Raiders and Sharks tied in 2nd with 225 (sharks with 3 extra games played)

Sharks - 2nd with 186
Raiders - 9th with 161
Sharks with one extra game played

Sharks - 1st with 206
Raiders - 2nd with 205

Penalties awarded:

Raiders - 2nd with 164
Sharks - 12th with 133

Seems like Raiders games are the ones with higher penalty counts and dragging teams down this season.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Penalties conceded:

Sharks - 2nd with 186
Raiders - 9th with 161

Sharks - 1st with 206
Raiders - 2nd with 205

Penalties awarded:

Raiders - 2nd with 164
Sharks - 12th with 133

Seems like Raiders games are the ones with higher penalty counts and dragging teams down this season.
Pfft stats. Useless unless contextualized through my unbiased viewpoint.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Penalties conceded:

Sharks - 2nd with 186
Raiders - 9th with 161

Sharks - 1st with 206
Raiders - 2nd with 205

Penalties awarded:

Raiders - 2nd with 164
Sharks - 12th with 133

Naw, Its just that he refs are too sterile. They just nick pick on the poor raiderps according to Sticky and are "destroying the fabric" of our game.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/stuart...iciating/8abe0ec7-f36a-4a50-9fc4-fe3832a9e788

Frailty

First Grade
To be fair he has a point. That many penalties in any game would ruin the spectacle.

If both teams are that ill disciplined then players should have made their way to the bin to get the point across.

He hasn't got a point, because it isn't a case of over officiating - it's a case of teams coming in with a particular game plan that intentionally bends or breaks the rules. This is why both Canberra and Manly are amongst the most penalised teams in the league.

Cronulla has had these issues in the past, and never would I claim that it was 'over-officiating' but rather the players not adapting outside of their game plan.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
He hasn't got a point, because it isn't a case of over officiating - it's a case of teams coming in with a particular game plan that intentionally bends or breaks the rules. This is why both Canberra and Manly are amongst the most penalised teams in the league.
Hence my second point. If teams are so ill disciplined that nearly 30 penalties need to be blown then someone should have found themselves in the bin much earlier. The rubbish would have stopped then and there.

Frailty

First Grade
Hence my second point. If teams are so ill disciplined that nearly 30 penalties need to be blown then someone should have found themselves in the bin much earlier. The rubbish would have stopped then and there.

Given the bin has seemingly been used so much this season, it is quite clear that this does not stop 'rubbish'.

Frailty

First Grade
Has it? If we're so ill-disciplined then I haven't noticed many of our guys go to the bin for repeat offences.

Remember the referee blitz of last season? Yeah the number of penalties AND sin bins spiked, yet teams didn't change their behaviour.

This season the mount of Sin Bins is higher than in 2017. The average amount of penalties per game in 2017? Just under 13. In 2019? Just over 13.

The number of sin bins does not lower the amount of penalties.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The number of sin bins does not lower the amount of penalties.
So you think if a coach is employing spoiling tactics and then a player gets binned as a result the coach will say “just keep doing what you’re doing boys”

I have my doubts

Frailty

First Grade
So you think if a coach is employing spoiling tactics and then a player gets binned as a result the coach will say “just keep doing what you’re doing boys”

I have my doubts

How'd the referee crackdown go last year? It didn't work. How has the sin bins for 'late' hits go this year? They are still happening.

I showed literally statistical evidence that the number of sin bins did not effect the number of penalties. Given the reduction in amount of tries being scored, the sin bin is also not a massive deterrent. Look at the table below for 2018:
stat-attack_sin-bin_20181100.jpg

25% of the league actually had a positive differential. 13 of the 16 were giving up less than a try.

Quicksilver

Bench
How'd the referee crackdown go last year? It didn't work. How has the sin bins for 'late' hits go this year? They are still happening.

I showed literally statistical evidence that the number of sin bins did not effect the number of penalties. Given the reduction in amount of tries being scored, the sin bin is also not a massive deterrent. Look at the table below for 2018:

25% of the league actually had a positive differential. 13 of the 16 were giving up less than a try.

The referee crackdown wasn't given the necessary time.

Gus Johns and Joey Gould called for it to end so it did.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

Yes because it's "crackdowns" that don't work. Do they actually expect them to have lasting effects?

Do it for a couple of seasons and you might have some useable data, Middo.

Frailty

First Grade
Yes because it's "crackdowns" that don't work. Do they actually expect them to have lasting effects?

Do it for a couple of seasons and you might have some useable data, Middo.

2016 - Number of penalties 2,775 with 17 Sin Bins.
2017 - Number of penalties 2,756 with 43 Sin Bins.

So 26 additional sin bins saved a total of 19 penalties.

I'm not challenging the notion that the standard of refereeing in 2018 should have continued - it should have. I'm challenging the suggestion that if referees used the sin bin more there would be reduced penalties - when this is clearly not the case.

Frailty

First Grade
Further sample size for you

2015 - 2,563 penalties with 13 sin bins
2014 - 2,620 penalties with 24 sin bins
2013 - 2,626 penalties with 15 sin bins

Sin bins simply do not result in reduced penalties.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Sin bins simply do not result in reduced penalties.
and I'd argue that the "crackdown" didn't last long enough to provide any useful data. It's taken years for teams to adapt to certain rule changes.

A more telling stat to me would be how many penalties were conceded after a player was binned for repeat infringements.