What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BRL to expand in 2020

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
In Safe Hands Cup competition to expand in 2020
QRL South East Queensland Division Media Release
Tue 27 Aug 2019, 07:07 PM
The In Safe Hands Cup is set to expand to 10 teams in 2020, with a new model announced by Rugby League Brisbane seeing many local clubs make their return to A Grade.

Intrust Super Cup clubs will withdraw their direct team presence and will instead formalise their affiliate relationships with community teams in an effort to expand the competition and create more opportunities for players at the local level.

New entrants to the In Safe Hands Cup premiership race will include local clubs like Carina, Brighton and Beenleigh Pride, while established Rugby League Brisbane clubs such as Valleys Diehards and West Brisbane Panthers will remain.

“This is a tremendous leap forward for our game in the region and I commend our Intrust Super Cup clubs for supporting this new structure,” Rugby League Brisbane chair Steve Tierney said.

“This will allow my Board to reinvigorate this iconic Rugby League Brisbane brand and return the competition to its rightful place as the premier local league A Grade rugby league competition in the state.

“This is an exciting phase for our local clubs and the RLB is excited to be working closely with the Intrust Super Cup clubs in Brisbane to ensure this model works.”

An affiliate agreement will be formalised between the clubs which will include restrictions on player numbers to be signed by the Intrust Super Cup clubs.

These Intrust Super Cup squad players will be distributed to the nominated affiliate clubs to ensure fairness, equality and a high standard of competition.

The final regular season round of the 2019 In Safe Hands Cup season starts this weekend with West Brisbane Panthers guaranteed to finish as minor premiers and Redcliffe battling with Wynnum Manly for the last spot in the top four.

In Safe Hands Cup RLB A Grade confirmed clubs 2020

• Carina
  • Wynnum Juniors
  • Bulimba
  • Beenleigh
  • Normanby
  • Brighton
  • Pine Rivers
  • West Brisbane
  • Valleys
* Full standings, results and fixtures for the 2019 In Safe Hands Cup is available here

rwaite

Juniors
I think this might be a backwards step. It's gonna be much like the comp in the first year they merged the FOGS A Grade with Second Division which had sides much weaker than the A Grade.

This grade never shows on the QRL website except for a grand final match report. The QRL and Second Division need to get their act together and show the weekly results on the QRL website.

In Safe Hands Cup competition to expand in 2020
QRL South East Queensland Division Media Release
Tue 27 Aug 2019, 07:07 PM
The In Safe Hands Cup is set to expand to 10 teams in 2020, with a new model announced by Rugby League Brisbane seeing many local clubs make their return to A Grade.

Intrust Super Cup clubs will withdraw their direct team presence and will instead formalise their affiliate relationships with community teams in an effort to expand the competition and create more opportunities for players at the local level.

New entrants to the In Safe Hands Cup premiership race will include local clubs like Carina, Brighton and Beenleigh Pride, while established Rugby League Brisbane clubs such as Valleys Diehards and West Brisbane Panthers will remain.

“This is a tremendous leap forward for our game in the region and I commend our Intrust Super Cup clubs for supporting this new structure,” Rugby League Brisbane chair Steve Tierney said.

“This will allow my Board to reinvigorate this iconic Rugby League Brisbane brand and return the competition to its rightful place as the premier local league A Grade rugby league competition in the state.

“This is an exciting phase for our local clubs and the RLB is excited to be working closely with the Intrust Super Cup clubs in Brisbane to ensure this model works.”

An affiliate agreement will be formalised between the clubs which will include restrictions on player numbers to be signed by the Intrust Super Cup clubs.

These Intrust Super Cup squad players will be distributed to the nominated affiliate clubs to ensure fairness, equality and a high standard of competition.

The final regular season round of the 2019 In Safe Hands Cup season starts this weekend with West Brisbane Panthers guaranteed to finish as minor premiers and Redcliffe battling with Wynnum Manly for the last spot in the top four.

In Safe Hands Cup RLB A Grade confirmed clubs 2020

• Carina
  • Wynnum Juniors
  • Bulimba
  • Beenleigh
  • Normanby
  • Brighton
  • Pine Rivers
  • West Brisbane
  • Valleys
* Full standings, results and fixtures for the 2019 In Safe Hands Cup is available here

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
I think this might be a backwards step. It's gonna be much like the comp in the first year they merged the FOGS A Grade with Second Division which had sides much weaker than the A Grade.

This grade never shows on the QRL website except for a grand final match report. The QRL and Second Division need to get their act together and show the weekly results on the QRL website.
LeagueUnlimited.com proudly has full teamlists results from 2016 to now and will continue to cover the competition moving forward: https://leagueunlimited.com/competition/show/brisbane-rugby-league-a-grade

XXXX Cap

Juniors

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

XXXX Cap

Juniors

If they want match reports on Brisbane Grand Finals, I've got plenty of them from 1950 onwards plus programmes since the late 60s. My older brother took me to the 1965 GF when I was seven and I haven't missed one since. It will be 55 straight when Wynnum beat Burleigh next Sunday.

The Partisan

Wynnum belted Wests in today's final of the BRL.

Profile may have been lifted a smidgen with the Intrust Super Cup not around this year.

Clap..... Clap..... CLAP CLAP CLAP... Clap Clap Clap Clap... Clap Clap
WYNNUM!
WYNNUM!
WYNNN...UMMMM!

Up the Gulls!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds like a great opportunity for QRL to elevate the competition and make it a strong third tier comp for Brisbane. Live streaming is so cheap these days that it shouldn't be hard to stream a match of the day from this comp.

The Intrust Super Cup & the Hasting Deering Colts aren’t the only grand finals on this weekend with the West Brisbane Panthers and the Valley Diehards set to do battle today at Kougari Oval in the finale of the BRL.

The Panthers come into game having scored 234 points in their last 4 games while the Diehards stunned minor premiers Normanby. The Panthers hoping to go one better this year after the crushing loss to Wynnum Manly Juniors while this will be Valleys 3rd time having won in 2017 and runners in 2019.

Both teams have quite a few players with Cup experience. Both teams will also meet in the Reserve Grade decider while the Panthers will meet Wynnum Manly Juniors in Under 20.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I expect Geoffrey the Panther to be there in full cry with the Wests boys. I ran into him in Woolies at Wynnum a few weeks back on his way to Kitchener Park when Wests played Wynnum.

Not a good day to be a Panther supporter with losses in all 3 grades including a heart-breaking 20-18 defeat in the main one to Valleys.

Wests looked to have seized the advantage with back-to-back tries to open up a 18-10 lead midway through the second half. But the Diehards kept plugging away and Jye Ballinger plunged over underneath the posts for the match-sealer with 3 minutes to go.

Decent crowd too with the Chook Pen pretty full and the main stand mostly populated.

It was the first time I've been back to Kougari since the 2015 prelim final between the Jets and the Hunters. It looks like they've cut back the number of car parks since the League club upgrade because I had to park a few 100m down the road (and I arrived before the Reserve Grade game).

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Probably a few less car parks. They reduced access through the back gate off Stannard Road for a while so some of the regulars from there might be parking in Wondall Road now.

Maybe more people going to the Leagues Club on a Saturday as well.

Latest posts