What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Frailty

First Grade
It matters. Some don't think so? Others do! It's important to note that Primetime FTA tv exposes a club to a larger audience. If the audience, particularly a new audience is confused by a different look then that does the club no favours in recognition and familiarity. It's a fair point.

So a new audience, who doesn't have a historical context, would be confused by a one off jersey?
It's funny, because I've never seen a new fan go - "They're wearing a different jersey - this is too confusing so I won't follow anymore".

I guess we should ignore that Premier League teams change jerseys (even if minimally) every season, and their away/alternates are usually vastly different to their main colours.

The jerseys are a minimal part of an overall product, and if you think the jerseys are really a barrier for expanding your audience then you are exerting a lot of energy for little benefit.

Stallion

First Grade
No, it really doesn't mate - You seem to come across as someone who needs to be upset about something - Which is kind of sad, but hey, each to their own I suppose...

As has been said, a few times now, it was a ONE OFF, for a GREAT CAUSE, to RAISE AWARENESS

But who cares about the deafies hey? As long as there's some lime green on the jersey... because THAT'S what matters... apparently

Lol. Let's not pretend to a pioneer for charities champ! From a club recognition perspective the colour change of any clubs colour is not proactive marketing or recognition for that club. Especially to a possible new viewer or even a longstanding fan. It does matter! Use the wording of the charity if need be on the jumper or shorts or elsewhere. Pretty sure that would work without confusing anyone.

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench
Lol. Let's not pretend to a pioneer for charities champ! From urethane a club recognition perspeptide themail change of any clubs colour is not proactive marketing or recognition for that club. Especially to a possible new viewer or even a longstanding fan. It does matter!

Firstly, I would absolutely class myself a pioneer for charities... I am active in a number of charities within my community and think any work a club does is worthwhile. But if you think a clubs identity is more so, then that just says more about you than the identity of the Raiders.

Secondly, you state that the change of a clubs colours stops recognition of a club for new viewers..? Do you not see how that statement doesn't fit? New viewers are, as is easily construed, new and have no preconceptions about a clubs colours.

Stallion

First Grade
Firstly, I would absolutely class myself a pioneer for charities... I am active in a number of charities within my community and think any work a club does is worthwhile. But if you think a clubs identity is more so, then that just says more about you than the identity of the Raiders.

Secondly, you state that the change of a clubs colours stops recognition of a club for new viewers..? Do you not see how that statement doesn't fit? New viewers are, as is easily construed, new and have no preconceptions about a clubs colours.

Absolutely wrong about the new viewers and I help out in the occasional cause as well . So the high and mighty condescending manner won't work on me champ! The new viewer would most likely have an idea of a clubs colours through popular media etc . If that viewer decides to watch the lime green Raiders, I guarantee, just like my ten year daughter was on Sunday, they would be puzzled/confused at the colour of the Raiders jumper!

Frailty

First Grade
Absolutely wrong about the new viewers and I help out in the occasional cause as well . So the high and mighty condescending manner won't work on me champ! The new viewer would most likely have an idea of a clubs colours through popular media etc . If that viewer decides to watch the lime green Raiders, I guarantee, just like my ten year daughter was on Sunday, they would be puzzled/confused at the colour of the Raiders jumper!

Oh wow! It must be difficult to explain to your daughter that the team is wearing a different jersey to raise awareness for a charity. You are framing this to be a major issue when the fact is it has minimal effect on the growth of a game or team.

Stallion

First Grade
Oh wow! It must be difficult to explain to your daughter that the team is wearing a different jersey to raise awareness for a charity. You are framing this to be a major issue when the fact is it has minimal effect on the growth of a game or team.

Just an example you dodo! Mind you I did not know the reason until brought up on this thread! The unsuspecting neutral fans would have no idea. And next week he or she will be wondering where are the Raiders? And what do they look like! This is a jerseys thread. The point about jersey and colour consistency is relevant! You can't see it? Others do!

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Outside of on the internet (within a tiny minority of super hardcore fans) I've never, ever, heard somebody seriously complain about one off special jerseys of any kind, if anything the vast majority of people either like them or are totally indifferent to them.

Furthermore I've never heard of somebody seriously struggling to identify a team because of a one off jersey, it's just not a thing that really happens.

The only people that I run into that even care about this stuff at all are people on the internet (largely on this site or in other footy communities) that think their favorite footy teams brand's should be sacred, and take things way more seriously then is necessary.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Just an example you dodo! Mind you I did not know the reason until brought up on this thread! The unsuspecting neutral fans would have no idea. And next week he or she will be wondering where are the Raiders? And what do they look like! This is a jerseys thread. The point about jersey and colour consistency is relevant! You can't see it? Others do!
Why do you even care!?

You aren't a Raiders fan or connected to the club in any way, so it doesn't effect you in anyway, so why is it any of your business what the club does or doesn't do with it's jersey's?

I could understand if you were a Raiders fan that doesn't like the jersey and wanted to express that opinion, but you aren't so you're just having an apoplectic tantrum about something that's nothing to do with you and none of your business.

Stallion

First Grade
Outside of on the internet (within a tiny minority of super hardcore fans) I've never, ever, heard somebody seriously complain about one off special jerseys of any kind, if anything the vast majority of people either like them or are totally indifferent to them.

Furthermore I've never heard of somebody seriously struggling to identify a team because of a one off jersey, it's just not a thing that really happens.

The only people that I run into that even care about this stuff at all are people on the internet (largely on this site or in other footy communities) that think their favorite footy teams brand's should be sacred, and take things way more seriously then is necessary.

Typical. And you never hear of them as they are lost to the game! Confusing potential fans doesn't assist any club in the recognition stakes. But given your track record in comments, it's not surprising.

Stallion

First Grade
Why do you even care!?

You aren't a Raiders fan or connected to the club in any way, so it doesn't effect you in anyway, so why is it any of your business what the club does or doesn't do with it's jersey's?

I could understand if you were a Raiders fan that doesn't like the jersey and wanted to express that opinion, but you aren't so you're just having an apoplectic tantrum about something that's nothing to do with you and none of your business.

No you fool! I do care. It's a shame you haven't worked that out. My first degree was in communication studies and Public Relations was a main subject. The changing of a well recognised look does impact on the recognition of a club. Believe it or not! Mind you this is common sense stuff but we get a feeling that common sense isn't high on the ability list for some contributors on this site. Mind you the guy who come up with the idea to change the Raiders look when knowing their home game was on primetime FTA tv needs some soul searching to be done. And so to the executive that allowed such a look change. Other ways of conveying charity support could have been used.

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench
Absolutely wrong about the new viewers and I help out in the occasional cause as well . So the high and mighty condescending manner won't work on me champ! The new viewer would most likely have an idea of a clubs colours thorough popular media etc . If that viewer decides the lime green Raiders I guarantee, just like ten year daughter was on Sunday, they would be puzzled/confused at the colour of the jumper!

Couple of things...

1. What condescending manner?
2. You say I'm condescending, but then go on to call other posters dodo and fool...
3. The jersey was well publicised - If you or anyone you know didn't see it, that's not the fault of the club
4. Nobody, not one single person outside of your imagination, was confused by the jersey.

Also, you come across as an absolute muppet mate. You call people dodo and dummy if they disagree with you, then get all kinds of upset if someone returns serve. You act smart, and TRY to use a higher standard of vocabulary, but you fail miserably on both counts. I've remember reading somewhere you're a teacher... I only hope you're not teaching English, and that you treat your students with a lot more respect than you've ever shown on this forum.

Frailty

First Grade

You're absolutely right. A one-off jersey has a devastating effect on their clubs ability to bring in new fans. It wasn't about giving Charity some exposure to existing fans. It wasn't about any fundraising that was being done at the ground at the time.

I'm glad you have a degree in Communication studies where 'Public Relations was a main subject', because I'm sure your expertise is much better than any executive at the Raiders or the NRL. We can ignore all the evidence from sporting codes around the world because you studied Public Relations at one time.

Get off your high horse and look at the actual arguments about the use of a one-off jersey and the impact on expanding the audience. It has minimal impact and in this instance is more about giving back to an important community organisation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Couple of things...

1. What condescending manner?
2. You say I'm condescending, but then go on to call other posters dodo and fool...
3. The jersey was well publicised - If you or anyone you know didn't see it, that's not the fault of the club
4. Nobody, not one single person outside of your imagination, was confused by the jersey.

Also, you come across as an absolute muppet mate. You call people dodo and dummy if they disagree with you, then get all kinds of upset if someone returns serve. You act smart, and TRY to use a higher standard of vocabulary, but you fail miserably on both counts. I've remember reading somewhere you're a teacher... I only hope you're not teaching English, and that you treat your students with a lot more respect than you've ever shown on this forum.
giphy.gif

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm glad you have a degree in Communication studies where 'Public Relations was a main subject', because I'm sure your expertise is much better than any executive at the Raiders or the NRL. We can ignore all the evidence from sporting codes around the world because you studied Public Relations at one time.
It stuns me that someone who claims to have studied PR and comms wouldn't know how impactful a one-off awareness-raising jersey is.

Stallion my friend, the more likely response to Sunday's jersey would have been people asking "what are the Raiders wearing" (the giveaway to it being the Raiders being the word CAN in the top left and the commentators constantly mentioning the Raiders, the game being at GIO Stadium).

The reply to that response then would have been those in the know sharing the knowledge with those who didn't about the jersey.

If Canberra are wearing their normal green get-up, then nobody is talking about the jersey, and therefore nobody is talking about Deaf Australia.

reminding everyone that Cronulla will wear this when they host Canberra...

f**k, Stallion's gonna lose his mind on Sunday.

mn_tibor

Juniors
Following on from Timmah's point, I think most people at the Broncos v Souths game wouldn't even have been aware that the Broncos had a charity (GIVIT) on the front instead of NRMA. The jersey design was exactly the same. I would guess that the exposure to Canberra's jersey would have been a lot higher because you would have had more people at the ground and watching it on tv wondering what the different jersey was for. Whilst it goes against brand recognition, the point of the charity jersey is not generate recognition for the team. It is to generate recognition for the charity.