What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

callmack1

Staff member
Judiciary Update - Roberts is facing a 2-3 week suspension: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/24/judiciary-update-roberts-to-miss-2-3-weeks/

Round 23 charges - Roberts, Su'A, Naden charged: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/23/round-23-charges-brown-smith-facing-bans/

Okay that's much better news than I was expecting as I really thought the NRL was gonna come down hard on both of them. But that's not actually a bad result because I was expecting something silly from the NRL like five weeks for Jimmy and two for Su'A. Still, it's a big blow to lose Roberts for our final two games of the Regular Season, really hurts our chances over the next two weeks.

Also,

Wayne Bennett bites back at critics of the NRL’s tough foul-play stance: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/wa...e/news-story/a5be706692e30787c7096be1ac1bd05c

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

Rothfield can piss off, there's no way we're a grubby team!!

Souths the ‘grubbiest’ team in the competition - Rothfield

South Sydney’s dirty tactics have made headlines this week after The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield labelled them the grubbiest team in the NRL.

Headbutts, cannonball, crusher, chicken wing, high tackles and hitting defenseless players are not something you’d usually associate with a proud club like South Sydney.

Until now.

After last week’s 22-20 win over the Broncos, many media pundits and fans questioned Souths’ tactics as James Roberts and Jaydn Su’A were both sent to the sin bin for illegal incidents.

Roberts, ex-Bronco, received a two-game ban for putting his arm/shoulder into the back of the defenseless Corey Oates.

Su’A, also an ex-Bronco, was sin binned for his illegal use of his elbow on Alex Glenn after hitting him high in the dangerous tackle.

Su’A agreed to take the early guilty plea so will be available for selection for this weekend.

This all comes two weeks after Souths CEO Shane Richardson criticized Melbourne’s tactics as not in the spirit of the game and that the NRL should keep an eye out for the Storm in the future.

NRL 360 host Ben Ikin called Roberts’ actions as “grubby”, while Rothfield was harder saying he should have been sent off.

“It was a dog shot on Oates…he should have been sent from the field and here we are last week having a crack at the Melbourne Storm about their grubby tactics,” Rothfield said.

“So I think we need to be looking at Souths’ discipline as much as the other clubs. It’s not just James Roberts, it’s a widespread problem at the club.”

The Bunnies currently sit fifth on the ladder on for and against and have a tough last two rounds against the Warriors away and premiership favourites Sydney Roosters.

callmack1

Staff member
What’s the likelihood David Fifita wants to rejoin WB?
Unlikely in my opinion sadly. Of course we don't know but he seems pretty happy at the Broncos and is playing good footy. Plus, we have plenty of second rowers currently.

Double the suspensions this year ... but NRL says game is ‘as hard as ever’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/4a47ecfda1a970b7a18c27c968b25ac2

‘This game would’ve died’ - Peter Beattie claims the NRL’s no-fault policy has saved game’s future: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/ffa9213a61364c935fa0e5f635527175

Travitoh

First Grade
From Zero Tackle,

Rothfield can piss off, there's no way we're a grubby team!!

Souths the ‘grubbiest’ team in the competition - Rothfield

South Sydney’s dirty tactics have made headlines this week after The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield labelled them the grubbiest team in the NRL.

Headbutts, cannonball, crusher, chicken wing, high tackles and hitting defenseless players are not something you’d usually associate with a proud club like South Sydney.

Until now.

After last week’s 22-20 win over the Broncos, many media pundits and fans questioned Souths’ tactics as James Roberts and Jaydn Su’A were both sent to the sin bin for illegal incidents.

Roberts, ex-Bronco, received a two-game ban for putting his arm/shoulder into the back of the defenseless Corey Oates.

Su’A, also an ex-Bronco, was sin binned for his illegal use of his elbow on Alex Glenn after hitting him high in the dangerous tackle.

Su’A agreed to take the early guilty plea so will be available for selection for this weekend.

This all comes two weeks after Souths CEO Shane Richardson criticized Melbourne’s tactics as not in the spirit of the game and that the NRL should keep an eye out for the Storm in the future.

NRL 360 host Ben Ikin called Roberts’ actions as “grubby”, while Rothfield was harder saying he should have been sent off.

“It was a dog shot on Oates…he should have been sent from the field and here we are last week having a crack at the Melbourne Storm about their grubby tactics,” Rothfield said.

“So I think we need to be looking at Souths’ discipline as much as the other clubs. It’s not just James Roberts, it’s a widespread problem at the club.”

The Bunnies currently sit fifth on the ladder on for and against and have a tough last two rounds against the Warriors away and premiership favourites Sydney Roosters.

Not a grubby team but there does seem to be a few grubby players.
Discipline has been poor this season and has hurt the team at times.
In the next few years i believe the NRL will be forced to get tough on any form of dangerous play and the teams/players that can adapt will be the ones that succeed.
It applies to all clubs, not just Souths but as a supporter I've been disappointed in some of the suspensions and charges this season and imo, the majority of them were easily avoidable.

Travitoh

First Grade
Now that sutto is retiring, britt, tracy and who knows who else plus we have money from GIs retirement, we should make him anoffer and hope he follows bennet,what an assett

He'd be a very nice in but i believe Brisbane will get a deal done.
Parra have also made a big play according to the rumour mill.
Either someone will be moved on or he'll sign a bridge deal for next season.

BradS

Juniors
He'd be a very nice in but i believe Brisbane will get a deal done.
Parra have also made a big play according to the rumour mill.
Either someone will be moved on or he'll sign a bridge deal for next season.
I am hoping the way Bennett praises him post game might be a sign of him coming over

He could easily play prop as a replacement for George

Travitoh

First Grade
I am hoping the way Bennett praises him post game might be a sign of him coming over

He could easily play prop as a replacement for George

I would expect Sam to revert back to prop as we've seen on the past few team lists, with Fifita on an edge if it were to happen.

Brisbane could have up to $3m spare in their cap after 2020.

Last edited:
Also, is anyone hearing the rumours that Josh Jackson is set to walk out of the Bulldogs and sign a two year deal with us for 2020? No idea how true that is.

Yeah, its a fake. Came from a fake twitter account.

On the subject of signings, we are on the lookout in a few different positions but don't expect a David Fafita or some other big name NRL player to join the club this year. If we do sign an international, it will be from England. I keep hearing that Luke Thompson is a done deal but who knows? If he lands here, he will be our marquee for this year and a like for like replacement for George.

I'm told that any other guys we sign will be typical Bennett type signings. Guys who have just made the grade this year or are on the fringe of NRL that Bennett see's promise in. Or some older guys who are looking for one last contract before retirement that think they still have something to offer. Basically, Wayne is on the hunt for money ball signings like he landed with Ethan Lowe this year.

We have a little bit of money in the kitty but Bennett will look to build up our depth rather than spend it all on one or two marquee players.

Hellray

Juniors

On the subject of signings, we are on the lookout in a few different positions but don't expect a David Fafita or some other big name NRL player to join the club this year. If we do sign an international, it will be from England. I keep hearing that Luke Thompson is a done deal but who knows? If he lands here, he will be our marquee for this year and a like for like replacement for George.

I'm told that any other guys we sign will be typical Bennett type signings. Guys who have just made the grade this year or are on the fringe of NRL that Bennett see's promise in. Or some older guys who are looking for one last contract before retirement that think they still have something to offer. Basically, Wayne is on the hunt for money ball signings like he landed with Ethan Lowe this year.

We have a little bit of money in the kitty but Bennett will look to build up our depth rather than spend it all on one or two marquee players.

With this in mind, I have a sneaking suspicion Bennett will sign Scott Bolton.
Has confirmed he will be playing on next season but not with the cows. He is another Nicholls type player which Bennet likes

Hellray

Juniors

If not us he will be the next Brian Norrie when he signs for the Storm haha