What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A running fullback makes me happy.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I cant imagine mal, sparkles or dugan being "great wingers". May have done an apprenticeship there for a couple of games.

I cant imagine mal, sparkles or dugan being "great wingers". May have done an apprenticeship there for a couple of games.
correct. To become a great centre, you must first understand wing. Not all great centres make great wingers. Not all great wingers will make great centres.
But to be a great centre, you must do your apprenticeship on the wing.

myrrh ken

First Grade
correct. To become a great centre, you must first understand wing. Not all great centres make great wingers. Not all great wingers will make great centres.
But to be a great centre, you must do your apprenticeship on the wing.

Thats not what you said about doogs and sparkles

taipan

Referee
Can I be so bold, to name running full backs for the Sharks,who were pants' creamers, over the eons?"
D Peachey, M Mullane, W Fisher,P Campbell, Rick Bourke, Val Holmes when on song,And Barba of course.M Rogers was another who could do the job.
Penetrate not procrastinate was their motto.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I be so bold, to name running full backs for the Sharks,who were pants' creamers, over the eons?"
D Peachey, M Mullane, W Fisher,P Campbell, Rick Bourke, Val Holmes when on song,And Barba of course.M Rogers was another who could do the job.
Penetrate not procrastinate was their motto.
J.Docking?

Omnishark2

Juniors
We are sadly no closer to solving the fullback conundrum for the finals.

Doogs is showing great attitude and runs hard, always puts in 100% effort. But his passing game is crap / non-existent, and we need much better to unlock the better defences in the finals - he's not going to score barge over tries against the Purple Filth & the Lattes. And he seems to make a couple of handling error clangers a game, which are often costly.

Moylan has a great passing game when he actually gets on the field, which will unlock the best defences. But his attitude sucks, he needs a permanent bunsen burner up the clacker. And he is terrible under both high kicks and covering grubbers these days. His body language goes to pieces when the chips are down.

Both are often out of position to field kicks in the first place. Doogs gets caught at marker far too many times on the last, leading to tries or repeat sets. Moylan won't compete for high balls, Dugan at least has a go but is heart attack material.

Perhaps we need a radical solution to get the chemistry right :
Moylan to 5/8 on the LH side, it's where he's best suited.
SJ to fullback, great runner & great passing game (best of both worlds), can pick and choose when to inject himself.
And Doogs to either centre or wing to use his power running.

Thoughts ?

We've battled to get the chemistry right all year, and injuries to key players have royally stuffed us around ... but maybe something radical like this might give us a better chance in the finals ?
Yes it's late to be rejigging the spine ... but we've hardly been setting the world on fire as it is.
Flame away ... :cool: