What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

IFR33K

Coach
I must admit that I was surprised at the amounts quoted for Sivo. So he was under contract for next season? I thought we only had a one year deal in place.

Happy for Taka and Jenni to get one more year. Hope we resign Drown.

I’m happy to let MJ go. He doesn’t break the line like he used too. We need strike out wide.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Putting aside the fact these figures are pure hearsay, what are people’s thoughts on offering Sivo $500k for three years? As much as I love the big fella that seems like absolute top dollar for a winger in his debut year. It also ties up $1mill in our 2 x wingers. Given we were the club that gave him his start and we’re in the box seat of having him
Contracted already for next year at presumably a low salary, I don’t think we should have to fork out what I think is the absolute max that he would attract on the open market across the entire 3 years.

“●Sivo is under contact for next year with an upgrade and extension offer for a further three seasons worth $1.5 million”

Is it $1.5 m over 3 years? I read it as an upgrade (for next year) and extension of 3, so 4 years in total worth $1.5m which is $375k per year, that’s fairly good value for us I reckon.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I’m happy to let MJ go. He doesn’t break the line like he used too. We need strike out wide.

Why? We already have Lane / Sivo on that side, that’s a fair bit of “strike” there plus an improving brown. What we do need is some experience and a good defender.

Obviously it depends on what Jennings wants, but scoring points / strike power isn’t really an issue and a strike player is fairly expensive. We are better of spending that money on a forward.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Interestingly stat, of all the centres starting this week in the 5 sides above us, only 2 (Cotric / Gagai) average more tackle breaks then Jennings (averages 3.5)

IFR33K

Coach
Why? We already have Lane / Sivo on that side, that’s a fair bit of “strike” there plus an improving brown. What we do need is some experience and a good defender.

Obviously it depends on what Jennings wants, but scoring points / strike power isn’t really an issue and a strike player is fairly expensive. We are better of spending that money on a forward.

He’s lost a hell of a lot of pace and is on the decline. Not the player he was. Signing him may cost us a junior. As for lane he started off well and has been ok to decent of late.

Noise

Coach
He’s lost a hell of a lot of pace and is on the decline. Not the player he was. Signing him may cost us a junior. As for lane he started off well and has been ok to decent of late.
I'm not fussed either way on signing Jennings but if it costs us Ethan Parry, meh.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we let him go you'd see we need defence out wide even more than an extra point of attack.

Improving your attack further infield means your edge attackers get better opportunities. Look at Joseph Manu. Every time he gets the ball he's one-on-one with his opponent with room to move. If he played for the Titans he'd look like a plodder, getting gang tackled on every run.

He never said anything about how much he was on. The only evidence we have of that was when Arthur said Evans will add depth.
Several articles stating he's on big money and not one rebuttal from Evans. I think he's implied in past articles that it is true. Yet your whole argument hinges on one ambiguous statement.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
“●Sivo is under contact for next year with an upgrade and extension offer for a further three seasons worth $1.5 million”

Is it $1.5 m over 3 years? I read it as an upgrade (for next year) and extension of 3, so 4 years in total worth $1.5m which is $375k per year, that’s fairly good value for us I reckon.
Ah...possibly. I’d be fine with that as I think that’s where we should value him.

Kornstar

Coach

My opinion is that he is a victim of speed of our play in the red zone. By the time the ball gets to him the defence is in his face and he is expected to work miracles. We throw nothing in terms of numbers at the defence and he is left to try and create a hole and no point passing to Sivo cause there is a wall of defence out there because we are so slow!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Several articles stating he's on big money and not one rebuttal from Evans. I think he's implied in past articles that it is true. Yet your whole argument hinges on one ambiguous statement.
And your argument hinges on what hasn't been said! The fact is plenty of merkins who read the footy section think even $250k is big money.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My opinion is that he is a victim of speed of our play in the red zone. By the time the ball gets to him the defence is in his face and he is expected to work miracles. We throw nothing in terms of numbers at the defence and he is left to try and create a hole and no point passing to Sivo cause there is a wall of defence out there because we are so slow!
We've scored plenty of tries this year as has Sivo. Jennings has scored eight in fifteen games. That's more than most centres.

IFR33K

Coach
You don't think our team has enough rookies?

Every superstar was rookie once upon a time. Hoping we don’t bust the bank to keep him, nor do we just buckle and give him 2 years for the sake of it. Roosters were happy to move him on a long while
Ago. Then they unleashed Mitchell roughly the same time. Had they kept MJ, would LM still be there?

Latest posts