What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd24: Parra v Broncos LIVE GAME DAY thread 30/8/19

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Fergo no try was a momentum killer. Don't know how they called Gutho's pass forward. They allow that try and I reckon we go on to win.
We got back to 16 all and had all the momentum, and as usual we shit the bed in a pressure situation.

Gronk

Staff member
We got back to 16 all and had all the momentum, and as usual we shit the bed in a pressure situation.

We shit the bed in pressure situations this year when ? We clawed our way back to 16 all. Teams that shit the bed don’t do that. They dug deep and threw it around. I thought we played great.

Can we improve? Hell yes. So many times movements broke down, where they would have stuck earlier in the year.

Brisbane were tough and offered great line speed. Most importantly that line speed restricted our field position. The game was played in the middle third for most of the match and that frustrated us.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We shit the bed in pressure situations this year when ? We clawed our way back to 16 all. Teams that shit the bed don’t do that. They dug deep and threw it around. I thought we played great.

Can we improve? Hell yes. So many times movements broke down, where they would have stuck earlier in the year.

Brisbane were tough and offered great line speed. Most importantly that line speed restricted our field position. The game was played in the middle third for most of the match and that frustrated us.
Prepare to be frustrating plenty more against the better sides, last night just proved we aren't up to the top sides. We have improved but are still miles away from being real contenders. Our middle defence still stinks as well.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I reckon the only person who shit the bed was Hiney this morning after 20 milton mangoes, 10 krakens and an extra large kebab.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Prepare to be frustrating plenty more against the better sides, last night just proved we aren't up to the top sides. We have improved but are still miles away from being real contenders. Our middle defence still stinks as well.
Yeah. No doubt there is a gap between us and the top 4 or 5.

Rocket man

Juniors
I actually think we're a pretty good team.

Yes, we lack some discipline. But, I think, equally importantly, we are also over enthusiastic sometimes, and we need to learn to control that. Yes, that's discipline, but an important facet of it that needs its own attention.

Alright, let's f**king smash them! Penalty.
Alright, let's throw this f**king ball around! Drop it.

And we get in that crazy mindset and just lose composure. But I'm ok with that. We f**king came last in 2018. LAST!!!

We're making good metres, we've got good outside backs, we can throw some damned fine offloads and Moses has a good kicking game - when we don't get over-enthusiastic.

400+ more metres, more offloads, 3 tries to 2. We lost because Moses had an uncharacteristically poor night kicking goals. That's it.

We'll probably end up playing the Broncos in Rd. 1 of the Finals and we'll f**king smash them at home. Hopefully, we then face the Bunnies, because we'll f**king smash them, too. All we'll need to do, then, is pull one good game out of our arses and we'll be in the GF. Hell, even if we lose that game, we were still in the final four.

So, in summary - take your pessimism and cram it up your ringhole. We're a pretty good team, and if we nab a front rower for next year that's worth anything then we'll be even better and maybe a genuine Top 4 team.

Glenneel

Bench
Are those stats for forwards meters or total meters? Because if they are total meters it’s not a comparison of forward packs (which you are trying to make).Our backs made a bunch of line breaks so would contributed a lot to those meters.
The tackle busts are the most useful and telling stats to compare forward packs and their forwards shat all over ours
Nearly all those tackle breaks were from Fifita weren't they?

Still can't understand our bench rotation.
Terepo came on to replace a HIA and I can't remember him after that. What did he do and did he have a second stint?
Gower has been great but not tonight and not for the last few weeks.
Taka played strong I thought but was on for only about 15 mins.
Alvaro tries hard but offers little impact and usually left on ground after tackle.
Sorry BA but we have to do better than this. Need to bring on some impact for Manly game. Need to go into finals with a win under our belt, 3 losses on the trot not good form.

Gronk

Staff member
Ok so you agree we didn’t shit the bed.

No we are not contenders yet. We are still a good footy team and can mix it with most of the others. It will not surprise me however if it remains a bridge too far to knock off Storm Rooster and Broncos simply they have rosters worth $1m more than us.

Gronk

Staff member

Yes, we lack some discipline. But, I think, equally importantly, we are also over enthusiastic sometimes, and we need to learn to control that. Yes, that's discipline, but an important facet of it that needs its own attention.

And we get in that crazy mindset and just lose composure. But I'm ok with that. We f**king came last in 2018. LAST!!!

We're making good metres, we've got good outside backs, we can throw some damned fine offloads and Moses has a good kicking game - when we don't get over-enthusiastic.

400+ more metres, more offloads, 3 tries to 2. We lost because Moses had an uncharacteristically poor night kicking goals. That's it.

We'll probably end up playing the Broncos in Rd. 1 of the Finals and we'll f**king smash them at home. Hopefully, we then face the Bunnies, because we'll f**king smash them, too. All we'll need to do, then, is pull one good game out of our arses and we'll be in the GF. Hell, even if we lose that game, we were still in the final four.

So, in summary - take your pessimism and cram it up your ringhole. We're a pretty good team, and if we nab a front rower for next year that's worth anything then we'll be even better and maybe a genuine Top 4 team.
We’re on the same page merkin.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ok so you agree we didn’t shit the bed.

No we are not contenders yet. We are still a good footy team and can mix it with most of the others. It will not surprise me however if it remains a bridge too far to knock off Storm Rooster and Broncos simply they have rosters worth $1m more than us.
Unless we somehow pull another elite middle forward and edge backrower out of our arse we will continue to struggle against the top sides. Jury is still out on Moses IMO when pressured against some quality defence he seems to go MIA.

Gronk

Staff member
Gutho: Played solid and offered good left side opportunities.
Sivo: did not let us down. Did everything we asked of him.
Jennings: struggled without space and clean ball.
Blake: struggled without space and clean ball.
Fergo: great game but below his standards. Was unlucky not to be given the last try.
Brown: is still learning his trade. Good defender etc but needs to step up.
Moses: busy and energetic. Line speed crowded him and madehim panic. We would have won had he not had an off night with the boot.
Alvaro: not a lock. Best suited for a 17 benchie. Played fair.
Manu: had to go looking for the ball in the middle to cause any trouble.
Lane: had to do a lot of Nathan Brown work up the middle which zapped his energy. Great game otherwise.
Jnr: played long minutes and was our enforcer today
Evans: same as jnr. Did not take a backwards step.
Reedy: was busy but seems to be taking on too much. Seems to have the Nathan Hindmarsh gene and thinks he needs to do everything. Relax and trust the guy next to you.

Marata: strong runs up the middle. Hits hard.
Terapo: did not cone of the back fence. Quiet game this week
Gower: did not like the fast line speed. It disrupted his late footwork. Madehim ineffective.
Taka: i liked his fresh legs contributions in the last 20. Hwas the reason why we started to throw the ball around.

hindy111

Post Whore
Cleary is a good young player. Indeed he might even be a great player one day. He simply does not deserve to be an origin player right now. He rode on the coattails of Maloney.

I’ll repeat it just in case you missed it the first time.

Cleary is a good young player. Indeed he might even be a great player one day. He simply does not deserve to be an origin player right now. He rode on the coattails of Maloney.

Ever had a parrot on your shoulder?

Maloney is holding him back now. Too erratic.

Gronk

Staff member
Unless we somehow pull another elite middle forward and edge backrower out of our arse we will continue to struggle against the top sides. Jury is still out on Moses IMO when pressured against some quality defence he seems to go MIA.
Moses can only play in the space that his forwards provide him. Harsh.

Agree that we need two forwards. How can we compete with the broncos who seem to be re-signing everyone under their sombrero?

We have a few coming through. Hopefully Stefano, Kaufusi, and those tall timber props from flegg have great off seasons.

RCG would be good.

emjaycee

Coach
He needs another option to give clean ball to when rushed at by defence on 5th.

emjaycee

Coach

What he said.