What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8 Centres/Wingers Under 21 Better than Lomax

Dragsters

First Grade
Just to kill this ridiculous argument that we continue to promote regarding the overrated potential of (S)Lomax...Seriously he is so far behind the below players in the same age bracket in development and achievement that it's not funny and I'm probably missing a few...Lomax offers very little...can blame the coach to some extent but there are some obvious physical attributes that he's missing that can't be coached................speed, strength, x factor... add to this that he's arguably the slowest centre under the age of 22 and we have a dud on our hands...

List of Superior Players in similar Position and Similar age:
Bronson Xerri (Sharks)
Nick Cotric (Raiders)
Latrell Mitchell (Roosters)
Papenhuyzen (Melb)
Kotoni Staggs (Broncos)
Brian To'o (Panthers)
Bailey Simonsson(Raiders)
Enari Tuala (Cowboys)

We need proven centers and if possible I would go for a Gagai, Morris combination even for a 2 year period, I would also try and rope back Nene on one wing . Re Fullback I'm pretty certain re Sailor becoming a success...

The flaw in your argument mickey is that all of the above have had the luxury of an extended run their preferred position.

Lomax simply has not had that luxury, courtesy of Paul, The Undercoach...

Last edited:

Dragons4me

Juniors
Just to kill this ridiculous argument that we continue to promote regarding the overrated potential of (S)Lomax...Seriously he is so far behind the below players in the same age bracket in development and achievement that it's not funny and I'm probably missing a few...Lomax offers very little...can blame the coach to some extent but there are some obvious physical attributes that he's missing that can't be coached................speed, strength, x factor... add to this that he's arguably the slowest centre under the age of 22 and we have a dud on our hands...

Bronson Xerri (Sharks)
Nick Cotric (Raiders)
Papenhuyzen (Melb)
Kotoni Staggs (Broncos)
Brian To'o (Panthers)
Enari Tuala (Cowboys)

We need proven centers and if possible I would go for a Gagai, Morris combination even for a 2 year period, I would also try and rope back Nene on one wing . Re Fullback I'm pretty certain re Sailor becoming a success...[/QUO

You don't think those close to Lomax (or even himself) see this? Seriously the shit that gets posted on here by "so-called" supporters is beyond belief. I wouldn't blame him and others for leaving. Keep it up numb nuts. We won't have a team soon to follow.

RED73V

Juniors

Bronson Xerri (Sharks)
Nick Cotric (Raiders)
Papenhuyzen (Melb)
Kotoni Staggs (Broncos)
Brian To'o (Panthers)
Enari Tuala (Cowboys)

We need proven centers and if possible I would go for a Gagai, Morris combination even for a 2 year period, I would also try and rope back Nene on one wing . Re Fullback I'm pretty certain re Sailor becoming a success...

I totally disagree with your summation of Lomax. If it wasn’t for Mcfu##wit this kid would be improving week in week out. Firstly as a Kangaroos junior representative he obviously has the natural talent to continue improving for first grade NRL . Tell me one player Mcfu##wit has developed or even improved their game to date?? Poor Zac’s confidence would be at a all time low with our imposter coaching him. His in his out & Lafai & Aitken being picked in front of him is bordering on insanity. Even Freddy Fittler had him in his emerging Blues squad so he has the goods. Zac needs someone who believes in him & not our poor excuse of a coach messing with his head. What makes matters worse is Mcfu##wit was a international centre but has not taught Zac SHIT .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Just to provide some clarity to the names listed by the OP.

Lomax - 19yrs old - played 17 games - bench 5 - centre 7 - wing 4 - fullback 1 (41% in preferred position)
Xerri - 18yrs old - played 19 games - centre 19 (100% in preferred position)
Cotric - 20yrs old - played 65 games - wing 54 - centre 6 - fullback - 5 (83% in preferred position)
Mitchell - 22yrs old - played 91 games -centre 56 - fullback 16 - wing 15 - 5/8 4 (62% in preferred position)
Papenhuyzen - 21yrs old - played 18 games - bench 14 - fullback 3 - 5/8 - 1 (***)
Staggs - 20yrs old - played 30 games - centre 18 - bench 12 (60% in preferred position)
To'o - 21yrs old - played 13 games - wing 13 (100% in preferred position)
SImonsson - 21yrs old - played 16 games - wing 13 - bench 3 (81% in preferred position)
Tuala - 20yrs old - played 18 games - centre 13 - bench 3 - wing 2 (72% in preferred position)

*** - Papenhuyzen from the bench plays mostly from fullback

Lomax at only 41% in his preferred position or one could argue 6% in his stated preferred position of fullback. The others listed ALL have played majority of games in their preferred positions. As others have stated, Lomax, from the bench, has played in the forwards as well. Zac has been stuffed around big time and to compare each player is futile at best.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Mickey, all I can say is:
giphy.gif

Wittenberg

Juniors
I totally disagree with your summation of Lomax. If it wasn’t for Mcfu##wit this kid would be improving week in week out. Firstly as a Kangaroos junior representative he obviously has the natural talent to continue improving for first grade NRL . Tell me one player Mcfu##wit has developed or even improved their game to date?? Poor Zac’s confidence would be at a all time low with our imposter coaching him. His in his out & Lafai & Aitken being picked in front of him is bordering on insanity. Even Freddy Fittler had him in his emerging Blues squad so he has the goods. Zac needs someone who believes in him & not our poor excuse of a coach messing with his head. What makes matters worse is Mcfu##wit was a international centre but has not taught Zac SHIT .
Agree with you Red but remember Freddy kept pushing Aitken as a future Origin centre only a few years ago...........enough said.

rasaint

Juniors
Well hasn’t this been an interesting thread.

1. I’m a dragon tragic, now in my 60s so followed the team ( as StG or StG Ill) over many years. This means I will barrack for Zac and hope only the very best whilst he wears the red v.

2. I do not see Zac as a winger or fullback. He has not the zip or dash required for a top line fullback in particular. Centre yes or even a Graeme Bradley style player. Bradley known as the penguin was a tall rangy lock for his junior career with adequate speed to cover centre in later times. May this be Zac’s best position? He is undoubtedly talented but it’s true he doesn’t have the X factor of Mitchell or Xerri to name two. I think many were hoping he was. For all the deficiencies of Aiken, the guy is quick and does makes breaks beating opponents one on one and scoring from 50 to 60 metres out as well as short power plays to score. I’m waiting to see a bit of this from Zac.

3. Forget some of the posts that firstly Gasnier wasn’t that fast, or Cooper wasn’t that fast. Matt Cooper was the quickest player at the club for a number of years. Yes, the emergence of Morris and Soward would challenge that fact by 2010. Any viewing of Gaz highlights will identify he was in the top 10 odd fastest in the comp with a number of long range trys on display. Simply for a centre Zac Lomax doesn’t have that genuine high end speed and is at the lower end of the speed scale. Doesn’t mean he is not a reasonable player.

4. Here is hoping for a better 2020.

SAP58

Juniors
Lomax is a lot quicker than some would percieve............dragonsamy whats your opinion you see him at training .....
I think we all agree reading various posts that Zac should be in the centres however the problem is the coach will not replace Aitken or Lafai no matter how poor they play. To me a if centre has the pace of Xerri that’s a bonus otherwise they need to have enough pace to make breaks and if so then have enough ability to set up his supports which should usually be a winger who should have the pace to go on with it ask wingers that played outside Matt Cooper. Of our current centres Aitken has enough pace but his continual wrong choices in defence that don’t improve is a major concern along with his ability to set up his wingers which is limited. He has scored 5 tries & 4 try assists so far this year. Lafai is not a FG centre by a long way he goes missing, his defensive choices also are questionable at best, he lacks the pace required and his back hand flick passes to the wingers come off rarely now. He has scored 2 tries & 5 try assists.
Having these players in our backline puts immense pressure on the halves & wingers and fullback to make up for their inabilities to create scoring opportunities, we cannot afford to have players of this standard in critical positions in FG. I am surprised that as the coach was a quality centre himself that there has been no improvement in either all year.
We cannot afford to lose Zac like others of potential that have been let go in recent years, if the reports are correct West Tigers certainly see a lot of potential in him.

Dragsters

First Grade
I think we all agree reading various posts that Zac should be in the centres however the problem is the coach will not replace Aitken or Lafai no matter how poor they play. To me a if centre has the pace of Xerri that’s a bonus otherwise they need to have enough pace to make breaks and if so then have enough ability to set up his supports which should usually be a winger who should have the pace to go on with it ask wingers that played outside Matt Cooper. Of our current centres Aitken has enough pace but his continual wrong choices in defence that don’t improve is a major concern along with his ability to set up his wingers which is limited. He has scored 5 tries & 4 try assists so far this year. Lafai is not a FG centre by a long way he goes missing, his defensive choices also are questionable at best, he lacks the pace required and his back hand flick passes to the wingers come off rarely now. He has scored 2 tries & 5 try assists.
Having these players in our backline puts immense pressure on the halves & wingers and fullback to make up for their inabilities to create scoring opportunities, we cannot afford to have players of this standard in critical positions in FG. I am surprised that as the coach was a quality centre himself that there has been no improvement in either all year.
We cannot afford to lose Zac like others of potential that have been let go in recent years, if the reports are correct West Tigers certainly see a lot of potential in him.

Good post...

Frank Facer

First Grade
Well hasn’t this been an interesting thread.

1. I’m a dragon tragic, now in my 60s so followed the team ( as StG or StG Ill) over many years. This means I will barrack for Zac and hope only the very best whilst he wears the red v.

2. I do not see Zac as a winger or fullback. He has not the zip or dash required for a top line fullback in particular. Centre yes or even a Graeme Bradley style player. Bradley known as the penguin was a tall rangy lock for his junior career with adequate speed to cover centre in later times. May this be Zac’s best position? He is undoubtedly talented but it’s true he doesn’t have the X factor of Mitchell or Xerri to name two. I think many were hoping he was. For all the deficiencies of Aiken, the guy is quick and does makes breaks beating opponents one on one and scoring from 50 to 60 metres out as well as short power plays to score. I’m waiting to see a bit of this from Zac.

3. Forget some of the posts that firstly Gasnier wasn’t that fast, or Cooper wasn’t that fast. Matt Cooper was the quickest player at the club for a number of years. Yes, the emergence of Morris and Soward would challenge that fact by 2010. Any viewing of Gaz highlights will identify he was in the top 10 odd fastest in the comp with a number of long range trys on display. Simply for a centre Zac Lomax doesn’t have that genuine high end speed and is at the lower end of the speed scale. Doesn’t mean he is not a reasonable player.

4. Here is hoping for a better 2020.
I have watched Aitken's highlights reel and I can not remember seeing his score a try from 50 or more metres out. I am having trouble recalling him score from more than 20m out.