What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alintheeast

Juniors
I was thinking that some contributors have put forward signing Tommy Turbo and his bro Jake, and have been met with derision from some. Cost to much, they will never come here. Folks who been following the Panthers for awhile will recall that after the 1985 success everything was falling into a heap, finishing 8th and 12th in 86 and 87 respectively. Management decided to go all out and sign Chris Mortimer and Peter Kelly from Canterbury. Penrith at the time had a bunch of very talented youngsters(Alexander’s, Fittler, Geyer etc.)playing without discipline(sound familiar) or much thought. Mortimer and Kelly plus new coach Ron Wiley(the best coach we ever had) brought in a winning culture, structure and toughness that created the golden era 88 to 91. Sometimes you need to think about more than filling a slot or keeping the coach.

10Grand

Juniors
He first came notice with a burst of speed of 36.83kph chasing Keebra Park SHS speedster Reece Walsh. Melbourne Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr is the only NRL player to record faster speeds this season.

But there is much more to Lisati than being a pacy, wide running second rower.

Ipswich SHS head coach Joshua Bretherton said Lisati was reliable in every aspect of training on and off the paddock and absorbed new information.

HOW IPSWICH SHS QUALIFIED FOR THE NRL NATIONAL SCHOOLBOYS CUP

“He has worked so hard since he got here,’’ Bretherton said.

“He has been an absolute pleasure to coach and try and help

“Valu is constantly trying to push himself to be better because he has worked so hard.

“It makes all of us very proud for him and his family.

66a6bc8fac2d87c61105e03429437ddd

The gutsy, unheralded Ipswich SHS squad under coach Joshua Bretherton which finished equal first in the Langer Cup, only to roll back to second on points for and against.
“We think because of that work ethic, he has great potential and will continue to improve.

“He is not a kid who will waste that opportunity.

“He is a lovely kid, very humble which is a great characteristic to be successful over the next couple of years.’’

f7f207202b8629900b38ef5fd6e732d6

Ipswich State High School Langer Cup forward Ativalu Lisati
Lisati arrived at Ipswich SHS at the start of the school year from New Zealand to live with his brother and further his rugby league career.

Snaring the deal with Penrith is a reward for his brave move away from his comfort zone in New Zealand.

“It is one of biggest sacrifices I have had to make,’’ Lisati said.

“Since I have been here, my job was to make the most of those sacrifices.

“Since I was a kid I wanted to pursue rugby league as a dream of mine.

“To get that from Penrith was very exciting. I was very happy.

“I am looking forward to going to the next level and seeing what I can do at Penrith.’’

Lisati praised his coaches and teammates for helping bring the best out in him.

He said their dedication and commitment at training lifted him.

“That is what makes me want to try harder, seeing the boys coming to training, putting in maximum effort. That drives me to train at my best.

“It was a great environment, something I have never experienced in my life before.

“They taught me a lot, things I had not learnt and even things I knew, they helped me improve in specific areas.

SUBSCRIPTION OFFER: 50C A DAY FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS (MIN COST $15)

“This has been a top quality rugby league program,’’ he said.

Around the likes of Lisati, centre Bill Gase, Elone Tafua and outside back Jarra Briggs, Ipswich SHS assembled an outstanding team who richly deserved second placing in the Langer Cup this season ahead of heavy weights like Marsden SHS and Wavell SHS.

Originally published as Speedy Ipswich young gun earns NRL deal

COMMENTS

New cure, new lifeSPONSORED

MY NEWS

He first came notice with a burst of speed of 36.83kph chasing Keebra Park SHS speedster Reece Walsh. Melbourne Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr is the only NRL player to record faster speeds this season.

But there is much more to Lisati than being a pacy, wide running second rower.

Ipswich SHS head coach Joshua Bretherton said Lisati was reliable in every aspect of training on and off the paddock and absorbed new information.

HOW IPSWICH SHS QUALIFIED FOR THE NRL NATIONAL SCHOOLBOYS CUP

“He has worked so hard since he got here,’’ Bretherton said.

“He has been an absolute pleasure to coach and try and help

“Valu is constantly trying to push himself to be better because he has worked so hard.

“It makes all of us very proud for him and his family.

66a6bc8fac2d87c61105e03429437ddd

The gutsy, unheralded Ipswich SHS squad under coach Joshua Bretherton which finished equal first in the Langer Cup, only to roll back to second on points for and against.
“We think because of that work ethic, he has great potential and will continue to improve.

“He is not a kid who will waste that opportunity.

“He is a lovely kid, very humble which is a great characteristic to be successful over the next couple of years.’’

f7f207202b8629900b38ef5fd6e732d6

Ipswich State High School Langer Cup forward Ativalu Lisati
Lisati arrived at Ipswich SHS at the start of the school year from New Zealand to live with his brother and further his rugby league career.

Snaring the deal with Penrith is a reward for his brave move away from his comfort zone in New Zealand.

“It is one of biggest sacrifices I have had to make,’’ Lisati said.

“Since I have been here, my job was to make the most of those sacrifices.

“Since I was a kid I wanted to pursue rugby league as a dream of mine.

“To get that from Penrith was very exciting. I was very happy.

“I am looking forward to going to the next level and seeing what I can do at Penrith.’’

Lisati praised his coaches and teammates for helping bring the best out in him.

He said their dedication and commitment at training lifted him.

“That is what makes me want to try harder, seeing the boys coming to training, putting in maximum effort. That drives me to train at my best.

“It was a great environment, something I have never experienced in my life before.

“They taught me a lot, things I had not learnt and even things I knew, they helped me improve in specific areas.

SUBSCRIPTION OFFER: 50C A DAY FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS (MIN COST $15)

“This has been a top quality rugby league program,’’ he said.

Around the likes of Lisati, centre Bill Gase, Elone Tafua and outside back Jarra Briggs, Ipswich SHS assembled an outstanding team who richly deserved second placing in the Langer Cup this season ahead of heavy weights like Marsden SHS and Wavell SHS.

Originally published as Speedy Ipswich young gun earns NRL deal

COMMENTS

New cure, new lifeSPONSORED

MY NEWS

Speed. I like it.

MugaB

Coach
And if Cleary goes down with an injury? We have no natural halves Graham won't help there
Im sorry you missed out on Origin 2 in perth this year, id be paying close attention to the 2nd half, where cleary comes off injured and wade graham comes on in the halves.
Wade was our 5/8th before he went to the sharks, we came 2nd on the ladder that year, we need experience

unKwn

Juniors
Val Holmes missed out on the 53-man roster but he can still spend another year in the practice squad.

Or he could come back to the nrl, and if he does we should definitely have a crack at signing him

franklin2323

Immortal
Im sorry you missed out on Origin 2 in perth this year, id be paying close attention to the 2nd half, where cleary comes off injured and wade graham comes on in the halves.
Wade was our 5/8th before he went to the sharks, we came 2nd on the ladder that year, we need experience

Maloney can play 7.. Not sure I have seen the same skillset in Luai yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts