What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree 100% the playing group as a whole performed poorly from Round 1 and the seven wins on the trot really masked for a short time anyway how poor we have been throughout the entire season.

As it stands it is hard to be optimistic about 2020 there are so many areas where we have fallen short this season and I’m just not sure we have the right head coach, coaching staff generally and management capable of turning our fortunes around.

I said at the time the 7 wins were due to good fortune not still. I still have hope we get a few class players

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The club must think we are all stupid. The timing of this article is so convenient as is the statement "given the disruption, Cleary has done well to get the group, including eight debutants, to within touching distance of September..". Pfft. Bollocks, he has failed miserably. We are nearly bottom of the the NRL for all meaningful stats since he arrived. He took a 3 for 3 run and turned the same team into a rabble. Some players had an argument? Big deal. Cartwright and Brandy had major punch ups over a woman and it didn't stop them making semi finals. You think hard bastards like Geyer, Kelly and Mortimer didn't have the occasional run in with a team mate? If we accept this article as a fair representation of the year then we deserve the mediocrity we find ourselves mired in.

$1m over the cap after releasing Maloney. Does the club think we are that gullible. How is that even possible? If we are over the cap next year $1m plus Maloney's salary, we will be over the cap this year. Who is suddenly going to get a massive increase in wages next year to cause us to be nearly $2m over the cap.

Gould thought Maloney would move on and it turns out he was right. There is a reduction of $1m right there. He probably thought "with the right coach, we should challenge for the premiership in 2020". He didn't count on Dave's mate coming back and deciding to drastically reshape the roster and decide that SOO rep players like RCG are surplus to requirements because they are paid too much. I'm not saying RCG has had a good season, but the club has shown no faith in him and he looks demotivated. His jaw was broken twice doing his job for the club. He needed support, not to be shopped around like a nobody. If Cleary wants to look for players not worth what they are paid, he should look closer to home.

You have been on fire lately, Pomoz. Another brilliant post.

Kilkenny

Coach
The club must think we are all stupid. The timing of this article is so convenient as is the statement "given the disruption, Cleary has done well to get the group, including eight debutants, to within touching distance of September..". Pfft. Bollocks, he has failed miserably. We are nearly bottom of the the NRL for all meaningful stats since he arrived. He took a 3 for 3 run and turned the same team into a rabble. Some players had an argument? Big deal. Cartwright and Brandy had major punch ups over a woman and it didn't stop them making semi finals. You think hard bastards like Geyer, Kelly and Mortimer didn't have the occasional run in with a team mate? If we accept this article as a fair representation of the year then we deserve the mediocrity we find ourselves mired in.

$1m over the cap after releasing Maloney. Does the club think we are that gullible. How is that even possible? If we are over the cap next year $1m plus Maloney's salary, we will be over the cap this year. Who is suddenly going to get a massive increase in wages next year to cause us to be nearly $2m over the cap.

Gould thought Maloney would move on and it turns out he was right. There is a reduction of $1m right there. He probably thought "with the right coach, we should challenge for the premiership in 2020". He didn't count on Dave's mate coming back and deciding to drastically reshape the roster and decide that SOO rep players like RCG are surplus to requirements because they are paid too much. I'm not saying RCG has had a good season, but the club has shown no faith in him and he looks demotivated. His jaw was broken twice doing his job for the club. He needed support, not to be shopped around like a nobody. If Cleary wants to look for players not worth what they are paid, he should look closer to home.

10 likes for a single post.

Daz is right your on fire and clearly the benchmark for our disgruntled supporter base:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Pomoz

Bench
10 likes for a single post.

Daz is right your on fire and clearly the benchmark for our disgruntled supporter base:grinning::grinning::grinning:
Thanks, but I don't want to be a benchmark for being disgruntled! I am a positive optimist. I spend half my time defending the team on here. But the stupidity of Cleary's appointment is just breathtaking, it's hard not to look on it in any sort of positive light. Although I 'm passionate about the Panthers, I like to look at things analytically and judge outcomes rather than how things are done. That's why you see me quote stats a lot, when they are relevant. Of course we only get basic stats in the general domain but they can usually help illuminate what you see with your own eyes. How things are done is often just opinion and personal preference, so provided it is legal "the how" isn't as important. Mind you, it often gives you a hint at what the outcome is likely to be. Exhibit one, the Cleary recruitment process.

It defies belief that anybody with any sort of logic and reasoning skills would look at Bennett, Hasler, Cleary and Maguire, glance at Cleary's coaching record over 3 clubs and nearly 300 games and conclude "yep, that's the man for us". Nepotism is the champion of mediocrity and Dave's mate is now astride the podium clutching silverware.

The thing is, I so want the Panther's to be successful I really hope that Cleary can turn it around and change how he does things. But 300 games is a large sample size isn't it? Leopard's spots, old dogs tricks and all that. Still, we can hope, can't we?

Pomoz

Bench
Leaving aside our own troubles for a moment I fee awfully sorry for Nathan Brown now former Knights coach. The face slapping incident aside he has always conducted himself with honesty and integrity. It is a shame some of the highly paid players from the Knights leadership group did not conduct themselves in such a manner. Player power can be a very dangerous thing in a club, particularly when those at the top in management basically have no idea about anything to do with football or the game.
This article on Sporting news agrees with you: https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...than-brown-nrl-2019/js4thucf01lx134ct3ug80tqy

Kilkenny

Coach
Thanks, but I don't want to be a benchmark for being disgruntled! I am a positive optimist. I spend half my time defending the team on here.

As you know I wasn’t implying you are disgruntled rather the overall bleak landscape we now find ourselves in.

Sadly we have really stuffed up and I have no faith the three wise men can dig us out of the hole they have put us in.

Fangs

Coach
Very disappointing season.

2017 is my most disappointing season. I put this a very close second.

When you look at the bottom 8 its obvious we under performed. Maybe we don't have the squad to win the comp but Eels/Broncos are total garbage. Its a massive slap in the face to suggest we need to 're-build'.

Onto 2020. We need leadership in this club as there has been little on display this year. I'd look for experienced players to fill out the top 30.

forby

Juniors
We beat several of the top 8.
We debuted 9 players.
We still have CC and JF in contention for the top 4.
We didn’t finished last!

Disappointing, but it could have been a lot worse!

The Realist

Juniors
We beat several of the top 8.
We debuted 9 players.
We still have CC and JF in contention for the top 4.
We didn’t finished last!

Disappointing, but it could have been a lot worse!

This is the exact reason we suck as a club. Too many Panthers supporters are always trying to spin positives from what is essentially shit. This is a loser mentality and part of the reason we are a loser club.

forby

Juniors
I am a supporter, I buy my gear, my season tickets, go to as many games as I can!
After my family and job, Penrith is the most important part of my life!
I don’t have any power to change the way the club is run, coached or managed.
I have never said things were perfect or anything like that, but there are positives!
If you think that by only seeing the downside of everything you can change things that is delusional.

age.s

First Grade
\2017 is my most disappointing season. I put this a very close second.

2011 has to be up there. Finished second in 2010 and got cruelled by injuries and goalkicking in the finals. Came out of the gates in 2011 and got 40 put on us by the Knights in sweltering conditions.

It picked up a bit afterwards but only a bit.

Fangs

Coach
I am a supporter, I buy my gear, my season tickets, go to as many games as I can!
After my family and job, Penrith is the most important part of my life!
I don’t have any power to change the way the club is run, coached or managed.
I have never said things were perfect or anything like that, but there are positives!
If you think that by only seeing the downside of everything you can change things that is delusional.

I'm backing old mate Forby on this one.

forby

Juniors
Thanks Fangs!
Besides this was still a reasonable season compared to many over the past 50 years.
Still, the disappointment shows how things have changed. To still be in contention with 2 games to go was once a great achievement!

The Realist

Juniors
Besides this was still a reasonable season compared to many over the past 50 years.

What the actual F%$k is this statement? We weren't AS 'losery' as we were when we were complete and utter losers. This just sums up Penrith. Storm needs 5 years to get more success than this Club has had in 50!

Listen to the way they talk after games. Even when they win they are rarely satisfied. They always talk about what they could have done better, that they played well but are disappointed in X, Y and Z and will seek to improve it. Their Coach blows up and gives players an absolute bath if effort and/or execution is lacking.

What do we do? Oh that was a little disappointing, we did try hard though, it could have been worse. FFS...

ashton

Juniors
What the actual F%$k is this statement? We weren't AS 'losery' as we were when we were complete and utter losers. This just sums up Penrith. Storm needs 5 years to get more success than this Club has had in 50!

Listen to the way they talk after games. Even when they win they are rarely satisfied. They always talk about what they could have done better, that they played well but are disappointed in X, Y and Z and will seek to improve it. Their Coach blows up and gives players an absolute bath if effort and/or execution is lacking.

What do we do? Oh that was a little disappointing, we did try hard though, it could have been worse. FFS...
Yes and the storm have next to no juniors and Penrith has the most.
Not to mention we have a 23 million dollar rugby league academy which most clubs don't have, and still can't make the finals. Still paying Anthony Griffins contract for this year and next.
Yeh.......sick of all the excuses on why we have been poor for 50 years. Answer is poor management. It starts with Brian Fletcher and works its way down to the board, coach, recruitment and so on.

OldPanther

Coach

This is true. We don't have high enough expectations and are happy to play a few good games a year. We have become accustomed to mediocrity.

Fun fact Storm players get rated based on effort and execution and a judged harshly if they don't perform whether they win or lose. Was an article within the last few years.

Latest posts