What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 team

macavity

Referee
Agreed, but the money being chucked around for Fifita seems very rich. If the Warriors are throwing anywhere close to 7 figures at him, you'd have to balk at the price tag surely.

Still, agree with the general sentiment. We need a strike backrower.

Thought he was off for next year. Still has a year to run.

Just a shame the two we should have developed (Haas and Pangai) left before we could.

Jono078

Referee
Was going to start a new thread but thought I'd just stick it here.

Conor Watson.

What is his role next year because I really like him as a hooker and I think he'd only get better with time.

I like Brailey and you know what you'll get with him, but he doesn't have that x-factor that Watson has and it was really disappointing yesterday with the opportunities he was creating but he was lacking the support when going cross-field.

aqua_duck

Coach

Conor Watson.

What is his role next year because I really like him as a hooker and I think he'd only get better with time.

I like Brailey and you know what you'll get with him, but he doesn't have that x-factor that Watson has and it was really disappointing yesterday with the opportunities he was creating but he was lacking the support when going cross-field.
Watson did have an impact and will get better but Brailey is a way more rounded player especially with his service out of dummy half which I think is the most overlooked aspect of the position. Watson will be dynamic off the bench when Brailey moves to the backrow

Spot On

Coach

Conor Watson.

He can't pass to the support though. No doubt he is Cook like jumping out but when he is in motion he is unable to get the ball to the support player anyway.

f**k knows where he'll play next year with the amount of 9's we have on the books. Brailey looks a good player.

Maybe Mac is right. We don't have many centres. Would love one that can pass though.

Maybe the new coach can address that.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Watson at 14 is probably the right spot. Can cover 9, 6 or 1 at a pinch if we have an injury.

Ideally I would like to see Watson come on for Brailey around the 25 minute mark and then when Brailey comes back on after half time maybe Watson goes into a roving role in place of a back rower or lock? His biggest strengths are his support play, dummy half dunning and also in broken play so it would be great to see him roving around the field and sniffing out a quick play the ball or an offload.

Old dog

Juniors
I like Watson, gives it everything, if had a criticism it’s he plays what’s in front of him not what’s around him. Has trouble linking up with supports but hopefully with experience that will come.

Watson at 14 is probably the right spot. Can cover 9, 6 or 1 at a pinch if we have an injury.

Ideally I would like to see Watson come on for Brailey around the 25 minute mark and then when Brailey comes back on after half time maybe Watson goes into a roving role in place of a back rower or lock? His biggest strengths are his support play, dummy half dunning and also in broken play so it would be great to see him roving around the field and sniffing out a quick play the ball or an offload.
Part of the purpose of buying Brailey was to have an 80 minute hooker and another forward off the bench.
Watson will be 14 because he deserves a spot and can have impact.
He has less flexibility than Mann as a utility but Mann isn't working.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
If Ponga continues to develop his playmaking and kicking game I can see Watson as running 5/8 who is full of energy. A budget version of NSW Josh Reynolds.

Watson is still relatively young he could still have improvement in him. I don’t see any decent game time for him at 14. Brailey should be playing 80. I can see a role for Watson playing almost like a second dummy half/fullback just causing havoc in the middle third of the field.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I can see Watson as running 5/8 who is full of energy
shame we dont need one. We need a playmaker that can organize a team, with a good passing game and sound kicking game. We aint gonna win shit ( ok maybe half a dozen games ) with just Pearce at the helm. ....I just dont see it. No way on earth we lift the premiership trophy with that set up.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
shame we dont need one. We need a playmaker that can organize a team, with a good passing game and sound kicking game. We aint gonna win shit ( ok maybe half a dozen games ) with just Pearce at the helm. ....I just dont see it. No way on earth we lift the premiership trophy with that set up.

A playmaker who can organise a team, with good passing and kicking is Pearce.

You don’t need 2 guys running the team. You need a half to complement your halfback. Secondary kicking and play making options can be covered by Ponga. Hopefully Watson at 23/24 can improve in those areas aswell.

I thought part of the reason with signing Brailey was to add another playmaker.
We wanted a running half and we got one in Watson but now we don't want one. That implied Ponga would be more of a playmaker and he isn't there yet. He could get there.
Part of the realisation is to take pressure off Pearce for sure and to add options.
Lino went ok last week but it's a week to week thing with him at this stage.

Knight Vision

First Grade
The new coach will have other ideas. Come the start of 2021 our squad will be a very different one.
A playmaker who can organise a team, with good passing and kicking is Pearce.
some of the time.
Have a look through the stats of the Roosters GF with Pearce as halfback. Its Maloney who steered the team. Pearce is a virtual passenger in big games, as he is in SOO . Unfortunately for us he is a good playmaker at times but just doesnt handle pressure very well. I'd also relieve him of the Captaincy and let him concentrate on his game.

Knight Vision

First Grade
We wanted a running half and we got one in Watson but now we don't want one
Brown wanted one and it hasnt worked.

Lino was more the organiser on the weekend than Pearce, he also managed something Pearce can rarely do - a repeat set to build pressure. If Watson was the 5/8 on the weekend I think the result may have been different.

Matt23

Staff member
Who would be the contender's for the captaincy, if Pearce is relieved of it?
For the record I agree with him being relieved of it so he can concentrate on his game as @Knight Vision said.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Who would be the contender's for the captaincy, if Pearce is relieved of it?
For the record I agree with him being relieved of it so he can concentrate on his game as @Knight Vision said.
of the current leadership group - Buhrer and Guerra may not be at the club let alone in the side each week, SKD isnt a Captain so that leaves Glasby as the last man standing.

We dont really have any stand out mature leaders at the club which in itself is a weakness.

Klemmer being about the only other sure selection in the team that is a standout blue chip player with experience but like Glasby he doesnt really standout and say "pick me" .