What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 24 vs Dragons @ Sydney Cricket Ground

Who will win? Round 24: Dragons v Wests Tigers

• St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well at least we have our fate in our own hands now.

Based on what I've seen over the last 2 weeks Farah and Mbye cannot be selected even if 100% fit. Unless they want to play on the wing. You'd be hard pressed finding a park wino who'd go worse than Jennings.

All I can say is I fully expect a better showing than the last time we were playing for a spot in the semi's on a sunny Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt Oval...........

Smellmyfinger

Juniors

Based on what I've seen over the last 2 weeks Farah and Mbye cannot be selected even if 100% fit. Unless they want to play on the wing. You'd be hard pressed finding a park wino who'd go worse than Jennings.

All I can say is I fully expect a better showing than the last time we were playing for a spot in the semi's on a sunny Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt Oval...........

Mbye MUST come back. We need him badly at 9. Playing with no 5/8 the first 30 mins is terrible.

Mbye with Reynolds on the bench.

Fordy20

Juniors
Ollie Clarke just keeps getting better he has been really good today. 6 mins to go he really man handled Frizelle good signs

I hadn't really noticed how well he'd been playing until today. He really stood out in the second half

Pezz70

Juniors
Had an hour to digest today’s game, I was pretty disappointed with the first half effort, Thompson was ordinary, Jennings ordinary. The Brooks/Garner combination is being overdone, it’s a dangerous option when it’s not used every single set. Garner was good but I caught him being a bit lazy at times. Brooks has some really great defensive moments, but Hunt who is shit really tested our left edge defence, this is a real worry. Matterson didn’t have his best game but was still ok. The dragons didn’t test our right side defence at all, Benji, Momo were pretty strong down that side. They seem to be forming a really good combination in attack, Momo can run a decent angle. The one positive I take out of that game is that while we didn’t look great, we took the game away from the Saints in the second half. Benji was really good again, some of his passes were just magic. I thought Reynolds dummy half play was really good considering how much NRL he has seen this year, the run for the Taylor try was brilliant, he could prove very valuable if we get into the backend. Might even be enough to get us past the Sharks. I don’t mind the idea of having both him and Benji starting and rotating between hooker and 5/8, if our boys can handle the changes in attacking style I can see it really causing dramas for the Sharks.

Tiger05

First Grade

The only option is Thompson or Mbye in place of Jennings. You couldn't sack Momo or Reynolds.

Tiger05

First Grade
That was an awesome game. We won a game we had to win and we stood up. Saints have heaps of quality players. Our halves were great. Momo was out of this world. Reynolds had some good touches and added to the team. Nofo was also great. The forwards did their jobs.

WA Tiger

Bench
No thanks, let’s run with a
Reynolds at hooker looked ok today
Ok that’s good to know re Reynolds ...I thought so too...Just beware everyone re potential positions next game todays game COULD be classed in the Newcastle category of easy as pie and low intensity...next week won’t be..When the pressure goes up in any game / sport only a few stay hard and keep see things clearly ..I’m not saying who, but next week will be white hot

Vozzy

Juniors
I would consider even putting Mbye at fullback one more time. Momo with Nofo had been good. Thompson has done a job but is best as a finishing winger and may play well with Marsters. Momo is better in the centres then the wing.

And don't risk Farah keep the teamthe same it's working. If Farah plays and goes down we not only lose a hooker but down to 16 players WR need no risks.

Tiger05

First Grade
I would consider even putting Mbye at fullback one more time. Momo with Nofo had been good. Thompson has done a job but is best as a finishing winger and may play well with Marsters. Momo is better in the centres then the wing.

And don't risk Farah keep the teamthe same it's working. If Farah plays and goes down we not only lose a hooker but down to 16 players WR need no risks.

This is what I can see happening. You could even rotate Thompson and Mbye during the game.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Marshall at dummy half is master stroke. The service he gives Brooks is amazing. It also takes away Marshall’s ability to run across field early in the game. It’s no coincidence that Brooks game has improved. In fact, the first 5 minutes or so Liddle was on the field against Manly IMO was the turning point.

Reynolds coming on after 30 mins is fantastic for the side as well. The energy, the commitment is something we haven’t seen in a long time at the club. His service out of dummy half is improving as well.

Again, saints gave up late in the game yesterday, Newcastle were disgusting so the form line can only be taken with a grain of salt. Semi final footy starts for us next week. Sharks won’t be submissive

The sharks had a very bruising, lengthy and emotionally exhausting encounter against the raiders. They played very well indeed and made every effort.

I wouldn’t touch our side, but maybe mix up a few interchanges. Grub is injecting some life into the attack.

Robbie cannot play due to injury. No way. No passengers. This is finals footy.

Tactically we need to run at them and work them hard and then use the flair. Kicking will be key.

We have pretty good forwards for that mission.

Tried to get tickets, no go.

We went on with the game against Saints which was pleasing and where we should be.

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
The sharks had a very bruising, lengthy and emotionally exhausting encounter against the raiders. They played very well indeed and made every effort.

I wouldn’t touch our side, but maybe mix up a few interchanges. Grub is injecting some life into the attack.

Robbie cannot play due to injury. No way. No passengers. This is finals footy.

Tactically we need to run at them and work them hard and then use the flair. Kicking will be key.

We have pretty good forwards for that mission.

Tried to get tickets, no go.

We went on with the game against Saints which was pleasing and where we should be.
Just the one change to drop the pathetic Jennings assuming Mbye is fit.

It’s unlikely however Benji Reynolds & Brooks r more than capable of getting us deep into September.

Pezz70

Juniors
I
Ok that’s good to know re Reynolds ...I thought so too...Just beware everyone re potential positions next game todays game COULD be classed in the Newcastle category of easy as pie and low intensity...next week won’t be..When the pressure goes up in any game / sport only a few stay hard and keep see things clearly ..I’m not saying who, but next week will be white hot
I agree with what you say here, but Reynolds has played high pressure footy, he’ll be up to it mentally, his fitness might be the drama.

I think we need Matterson in the middle early in the sharks game, just to add some starch get through a bit of work, so starting with him at 5/8 is not an option. It might be the case that they start Taylor at Hooker this week with Reynolds off the bench. I don’t necessarily agree with this but defensively this week we need to strong in the middle for the first 20 or so.

I want us to beat the sharks for lots of reasons, but most of all for the players sake.

We don’t have too many champions or players the league public admire.

Some of regular first grade squad would struggle to get onto reserves or interchange for a lot of sides.

I don’t think anyone would have predicted the rise of young momo or that matterson cant give enough every time he runs out. Drips with class. Buy of the season almost.

I think Corey has done enough this year to have made a few bad errors yesterday. I forgive him.

And I think benji and grub have a special relationship. They are key.

Our composure yesterday was a very good sign. They stayed focused and the sky opened up. We cane in for the kill. Not quite there, but very very close.

Whatever happens, I would like to acknowledge this otherwise troubled squad with all our injuries and $2-3m in duds.

As I always say:

Courage Tigers!

And our decent coach says we haven’t achieved anything yet. Fair enough Madgester!

Last edited:

Latest posts