What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Pablooo

Juniors
Paul McGregor, I’ve never met you, and I’ve heard your a good bloke, but enough is enough, you need to admit to yourself, ‘I’m not up to it. I’m not an NRL quality coach yet’
As a paying member I will not be renewing my membership next year (unless you resign).
This is the team you wanted!!! Well bugger me, look where we are. It is a fair dinkum shambles.
Whilst I’ll always be a Saints fan, my passion has gone... and it’s sad for me to say..... the first word I spoke was ‘Drac’ because I couldn’t say ‘Dragon’.
I had punch ups in the school yard defending my team.
I’ve since grown up and had a family, my boys are Saints fans, however, they aren’t interested anymore and it’s partly to do with me. They’re sick of me complaining about the poor/ non existent game plans, urgency and lack of line speed in defence and on the kicker.... basic stuff we don’t do!!!
My Christmas present from my wife every year in my Membership. I’ve asked her to not waste our money this year, I’m not interested till Paul McGregor in gone.
It pains me, but at least the money won’t be wasted on a on what’s become a rabble.
Our once proud and competitive club has become a joke.
I’m looking to get away from what’s become a joke. My boys play Rugby Union and I think I’ll go back to the simple life of club Rugby and club League.
Just going to remove my membership sticker from the ute.
See you all when the coaching IMPOSTOR Paul McGregor is gone

Mate stick with your club, one bad year is no reason to cut your nose off to spite your face. Even though you are saying you are done and for very good reason I might add, you know deep down you aren’t. You will be back next February getting excited and ready for the Charity Shield. Why let the clubs poor judgement and decisions rob you of your natural birth right to support the Red V. Stay loyal but be heard and force change and don’t disappear.

St Hope

Juniors
Jack De Belin is so irrelevent atm and the only reason i keep remembering he exists is because of these drop kick journalists shoving excuses into our faces for the imposter. If we were a competently managed and coached side we would have already made significant changes to with play making and a suitable replacement. What a joke.
You are right, maybe it explains early part of the season but disregards second half of this season and our poor finishes in the second half of the previous seasons under McMediocrity no there is only one common denominator and he needs to go.

Banjo2014

Juniors
MEMO

To: Tyson Frizell, Paul Vaghan and Ben Hunt

Burgess is leaving the Rabbits there is a slot there for Tyson.
Gallen is leaving the Sharks ther is a slot there for Paul Vaghan
Broncos looking for a half = opportunity to go home Ben

Ask for a release you will not win a premiership under this coach

18to87

First Grade
Mate stick with your club, one bad year is no reason to cut your nose off to spite your face. Even though you are saying you are done and for very good reason I might add, you know deep down you aren’t. You will be back next February getting excited and ready for the Charity Shield. Why let the clubs poor judgement and decisions rob you of your natural birth right to support the Red V. Stay loyal but be heard and force change and don’t disappear.
But, it's not just one bad year. I was sceptical of Mary from the start. I remember all too well how injured the side was when he was the strength coach and Bennett didn't want him around for a reason. When they almost beat the Dogs in McGregor's second year, I almost came around to being pleased McGregor was the coach and thought that just maybe his bang and barge style could lead this team to the top 4 and to compete to win it all.
I was wrong. The look on McGregor's face as the side aborted his game plan vs Brisbane in the semi said it all. He has no clue and refuses to change. He still misuses the bench and renders studs like Paul Vaughn and Frizzell to be ineffective in the second half of the season due to heavy legs.
I no longer move my life around to watch the Dragons and I am not the only one. If McGregor is the coach next year I won't tune into the Charity Shield. If they are leading the comp at Origin, I won't care, because we all know what is coming as McGregor has an 18% success rate in July.
It's well past time for the club to move on and if you believe some of the rumours around, certain sponsors will be more than happy to foot the bill so that McGregor is well and truly in the rearview mirror.

Last edited:

Bench
What more can you say, that article is spot on. He knows it, we know it, he can’t coach, The Board either has the head in the sand or don’t just care.
The culture of the club is dead under the current Board. It is sad to see how low our club has sunk.
There must be changes but I am not holding any great hope.
I, as I have been for 50 odd years will continue to support the team.

sco22

Juniors
What more can you say, that article is spot on. He knows it, we know it, he can’t coach, The Board either has the head in the sand or don’t just care.
The culture of the club is dead under the current Board. It is sad to see how low our club has sunk.
There must be changes but I am not holding any great hope.
I, as I have been for 50 odd years will continue to support the team.

It’s a good read everything stated is true just makes no sense that he is protected by the Illawarra side and mainstream media why?????

getsmarty

Immortal

The brutal questions Paul McGregor has to answer

The Great One

Roar Pro
15 hours ago

Gareth Widdop celebrates try by falconing Tristan Sailor
The Dragons look set to sink to their lowest ever position at the end of a season as a joint venture, with only the last-placed Gold Coast Titans keeping them from collecting the wooden spoon.

If you go back before the merger, this is the worst position from either part of the joint venture since the Illawarra Steelers’ wooden spoon in 1989 and the worst season for a St George team since their second-last finish in 1945.

With such a horrific campaign behind them, serious questions need to be asked about the coach – but most in the media are reticent to point out any specific problems. It is time to get serious and start asking the obvious questions, even if they might make people uncomfortable.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email
Why are the centres regressing under a coach that was an Australian representative centre?
Just two years ago, Euan Aitken was earmarked as a future Origin star and looking at representative honours. This year he has lost his position as a certain starter in the team and is part of a Dragons right edge that has leaked points all season, including 22 against the last-placed Titans.

Tim Lafai has scored two tries all season and the last time he crossed was in Round 5 when the Dragons thrashed the Bulldogs. Not only that, but he only has one try assist and his decision to constantly rush up in defence – combined with his poor communication to his winger – has let in countless tries.

Paul McGregor was a centre his whole career, so how can he not coach the position he is most familiar with?

Do you know that tries off kicks count for the same amount of points as every other try?
Go back and watch any Dragons post game press conference and you will likely see Paul McGregor utter the phrase “they scored X tries off kicks” as if to imply that this was somehow less of an achievement than the other tries scored.

Paul-McGregor-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Matt Blyth/Getty Images)

Yes, tries off kicks can have a bit more of an element of luck involved but you can also minimise this element by doing your job, which is preparing your defence to contain these kicks.

Advertisement
If your team is letting lots of tries in from kicks then you need to fix this in your pre-game preparation, especially if you identify it is a problem that has lasted all season. Pointing out that many of the tries your opposition score come off kicks does not absolve you of this mistake.

Why does every representative player in your team play worse under your coaching?
Let’s not beat around the bush: the Dragons team is stacked with representative players, including five Origin stars, two English internationals and quite a few players from the national squads of smaller countries.

This is quite possibly the most star-studded Dragons team since their 2010 premiership squad. These players can perform on the biggest stage – why can they no longer perform at a club level? The only difference in the equation is the coach and the administration.

Where is the Dragons’ attack?
In the last three weeks, the Dragons have only scored two tries that did not directly come from kicks – ironic considering Paul McGregor’s apparent disdain for this method. Only one of those two tries came from an actual structured set play: Tristan Sailor’s try on debut last weekend.

League
That is one try from an attacking play in 240 minutes of football in a team that includes Gareth Widdop, Ben Hunt and Cameron McInnes in playmaking roles. And even when you include tries from kicks, the team has only scored 38 points total in three weeks, less than what the Tigers put on them this very weekend.

Reports have suggested Mary is putting in long hours at work but where is this time going? Because you certainly cannot see the results of this on the field.

There are many other questions that arise when you look at the Dragons team, such as McGregor’s forward rotations, his attempt to change Tyson Frizell into a middle forward and his ad hoc method of promoting and demoting wingers every week. The Dragons got rid of Steve Price in 2014 due to poor performance but McGregor’s record is not much better.

In two and a half seasons under Steve Price, the Dragons’ average position on the ladder was roughly 11th.

Under Mary’s five and a half seasons, the Dragons’ average position is tenth.

For a coach with so many questions lingering over the team that he built, McGregor seems remarkably immune to criticism.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/09/02/the-brutal-questions-paul-mcgregor-has-to-answer/

You are right, maybe it explains early part of the season but disregards second half of this season and our poor finishes in the second half of the previous seasons under McMediocrity no there is only one common denominator and he needs to go.
McGregor made the JDB issue much worse than it should have been.
Training with the squad. Waiting for the court to exonerate.
Building unrealistic expectations about DeBelin's contribution in 2019.
Should have quarantined the issue early on and built a team with what he knew for sure he had.
Would have been a much more settled roster and players like Host would have ably filled DeBelin's shoes.
On top of that, he then went on to keep using that as one of his main excuses.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
Yep , he has out coached himself .... Gonsky ...
I like your optimism Hazz. But after all these years my inner cynic is pretty strong.

If I was the CEO getting pressure from the fans, and wanted to keep Mary, I’d say something like “we will complete an end of season review, the coach will be a part of that”.

In 4 weeks time, when the team is not on television getting smashed every week, and all of the media attention has turned to the finals, I’d stage a Friday arvo press conference, and announce that McGregor has been retained, and that we believe he will do a great job next year, just as he did last year when we were one win away from a major semi.