What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinghippo

Juniors
$600k a year for 3 years is far to much for JWH. He is 31 in January. Can anyone name a dominant prop 31 or over, let alone 33. Matt Scott is probably the only one I can think of recently and it’s very debatable he was worth that.
I would rather throw $800,000 at David Fifita or work with what we have and focus some coin on the backs.

Sounds like Holmes is taking the train on squad position :frowning2:
We need Scott, Ramien or maybe even Oates.

There is also a rumour Melbourne are shopping chambers around. Do not go there Penrith.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Holmes wouldn't be worth what other clubs will pay him. He's a winger and only a soild fullback with very little ballplaying which is what we need in a fullback. Would be an awful signing in the long run

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I’d like to see us sigh JWH. I like the way he plays.
Obviously I’d rather Arrow or David Fafita, but I think JWH would be a solid signing.

The yak

Juniors
As I said the other day
Its the good and the bad with him.
He makes a lot of metres and he is a tough mongrel, something our pack doesn't have. The only downside is his frequent trips to the judiciary and he has reached his peak. The Roosters and the Storm seem to time their departures right.
Might be worth a punt if the price is right.

betcats

Referee
Not sure about JWH, for the right money id not say no but not sure we can get that....i think we should be patient and see what happens.

Holmes is a good player but just not where we should be spending that kind of money. Edwards has been good he can do the job while we see what we have with Laurie and other kid who i'm drawing a blank on right now. We need to spend money on a middle forward IMO we got the hooker now look at the forwards.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
On the fence about JWH. At the very least he has won competitions and has big game experience. But he is one of the players I fear the least in the Roosters forward pack.

Gus was kind to him in commentary on Saturday. Talking about the win rate when JWH plays for the Roosters. I know he doesn't work for us anymore but I'll bet its a sign we are interested.

Another option: Kikau to front-row and we sign a couple decent backrowers. Kiks would be the dynamic kind of player we need in the middle, he will bust plenty of tackles and be great with offloads.

franklin2323

Immortal
If were paying RCG $250k a season to play elsewhere. Then pay say JWH $600k a season with us. We arent really saving anything.

It really depends how much we are stuck paying RCG. I cant see us coming out ahead. We will be stuck paying a big chunk of his salary.

If we can't save anything then no point moving him. Pick him in NSW Cup if form permits then he will want out... Or he finds form either one is a win

Abacus

Juniors
Not surprised by the anti-JWH sentiment. I think he's the type of player you don't appreciate as an opposition fan - but love him when he's yours.

Similarly when he gets suspended - unfortunately sailing close to the wind is part of the package for an alpha-forward - fans are pissed because his aggression is not easy to replace.

As far as cost, you might get him for 2 years @ $700k. But I think he'd be after a 3 year deal. We have a few guys that can do what Arrow or Welch bring - we need an alpha-forward.

10Grand

Juniors
I think JWH is exactly the type of mongrel prop we need to set the platform for the rest of the match,others will lift around him and just his experience alone will be great for guys like Leota and Spencer.I think fisher-haris will appreciate another tough middle forward.
For all the set plays and freakish ability of the try scoring backs its the middle men that dictate the results.Tedesco was still great at tigers but he enjoys what the roosters middle men do for his game now.

ashton

Juniors
You have to wonder with the signings so far API and Barrett both coming back and JWH been mention whether Phil Gould has still got some involvement in the club

Fangs

Coach
You have to wonder with the signings so far API and Barrett both coming back and JWH been mention whether Phil Gould has still got some involvement in the club

Its not coincidence that Phil Gould had some very kind comments towards JWH on Saturday night. I'm sure of that. Nothing Gus says is a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.