What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan to Dragons - Suggested in yesterdays Daily Telegragh

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I actually thought the Sharkies played a particularly boring brand of footy though it must be said, and they did have a good side, any side with Gallen, Fifita and Ennis in the front row is a formidable one.

Dragsters

First Grade
Fantastic.

Johnston apparently said to rothfield that the end of season review will now include the coach!

Something he was reportedly exempt from a few weeks back.

The recent losses, (read floggings) as difficult for us diehards to stomach, seem to have had the desired effect, at least as far as the breadth of the review is concerned...

Slackboy72

Coach
On Flanagan,
As a player he had a win % of 66.7% with us.
As a coach he had a win % of 55.1% with the scum.
In his last 3 seasons that % shot up to 66.7%. They scored 21.4 and conceded 17.2 points per game.
In that same time we scored 19.6 and conceded 20.1.
They were a net 5 points better per match.
A club with f**k all juniors, no money and massive problems off the field, out-played us by that much.
They did not miss the finals. They had a record of 4-3 in the finals.

It's not a lot at first glance but this year we scored 17.5 and conceded 24.3 per match.
The differential between that average and this years performance shoots up to 11 points.
If we were on average 11 points per match better this year we win 6 more matches.
We'd be well in the 8.

But these are just numbers.
Here's another number.
Premierships: 0-1.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
On Flanagan,
As a player he had a win % of 66.7% with us.
As a coach he had a win % of 55.1% with the scum.
In his last 3 seasons that % shot up to 66.7%. They scored 21.4 and conceded 17.2 points per game.
In that same time we scored 19.6 and conceded 20.1.
They were a net 5 points better per match.
A club with f**k all juniors, no money and massive problems off the field, out-played us by that much.
They did not miss the finals. They had a record of 4-3 in the finals.

It's not a lot at first glance but this year we scored 17.5 and conceded 24.3 per match.
The differential between that average and this years performance shoots up to 11 points.
If we were on average 11 points per match better this year we win 6 more matches.
We'd be well in the 8.

But these are just numbers.
Here's another number.
Premierships: 0-1.
You mean the 3 games he played for us?

j0nesy

Bench
And just like that, a whisper and some small hope of change has me all of a sudden looking forward to next year.
That’s all it will take. Change the Coach and the passion from all supporters is back.
Get this done.
A loss to the wooden spooners this weekend would all but rubber stamp this.
I’m not one to death ride anybody but truth be told the the prospect of a new coach fills me with hope. The coaching combined with the RGRV strategy drove me away from RedV membership around 2013.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Fair enough, he's one guy I actually would believe is going to the Roosters on unders, it is the ultimate career decision, get to learn under Cronk and then take his vacant position.
I agree. I think Keary will move to halfback though. I think that is the position he likes the most. When he was on the open market last time he stated that he wanted to play halfback. As for the ultimate career move, he also gets to play with many great players around him, which will make his job all that easier to transition into first grade and even press for higher honours and he will be playing finals football on a regular basis.

If we get Flanno as coach, we could lure him to play for us in the next 2 or 3 years?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I agree. I think Keary will move to halfback though. I think that is the position he likes the most. When he was on the open market last time he stated that he wanted to play halfback. As for the ultimate career move, he also gets to play with many great players around him, which will make his job all that easier to transition into first grade and even press for higher honours and he will be playing finals football on a regular basis.

If we get Flanno as coach, we could lure him to play for us in the next 2 or 3 years?
Id love to sign Thurston part time to help mentor young Sullivan though too. He might be interested in helping out his little mini me.

Frank Facer

First Grade
How was Flanno’s relationship with Jack Bird?
I thought it was good. Brisbane made Bird a ridiculous offer and Bird took it, believing he was also going to one of the games biggest clubs.

Bird has spend quite a bit of time on the sidelines over the last 2 years. I am not sure if he would be our answer for centre, but he would be better than Aitken or Lafai.

SBD82

Coach

Keary plays left side and Townsend plays right.

Keary would be the senior half and play in the 7.

Slackboy72

Coach
You mean the 3 games he played for us?
yeah, I added that for shits and giggles.

but some more numbers to dwell on
Through 2016-18:

sharks
  • biggest losing streak: 3 (twice)
  • biggest winning streak: 15
  • Jun-thru-Aug record 21 wins, 1 draw, 12 losses

dragons
  • biggest losing streak: 5 (we've had two more 5 game losing streaks this year)
  • biggest winning streak: 6
  • Jun-thru-Aug record 14 wins, 20 losses

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Several things to think about with this:

1: Flanagan would have to get clearance from the NRL to coach again (that ain't Earth shattering news).
2. Flanagan, if given permission, may have some restrictions put on his coaching.
3. Flanagan, I given permission, what salary would he be asking, or better still, what would the Dragons consider to be a decent offer given his background?

Looking at this in retrospect:
The Dragons may be waiting for some clarity from the NRL before making any move on Flanagan. That may be in the form of either assistant to McGregor, hence the clearing of the support staff McGregor currently has (Hornby etc), a return to coaching but only at CC level, hence the rumours surrounding Head, or ultimately as head coach, however, the restriction hear maybe in the form of an overseer such as Furner to keep him in check, hence also the move on of the current coaching staff.

The fact nothing has been said regarding the teams performance this year from senior management, could spell that they are in a waiting game regarding Flanagan and McGregor. Basically, how I read this is, if Flanagan is given the green light (or even an amber one) to return to coaching, we will move on that quickly. If Flanagan doesn't then McGregor is still signed as coach. So, really hedging bets here.

Another thing to consider is, if Flanagan has been seen in talks with Greenburg, then to me this indicates he has a job to return to, otherwise why else would he bother. There aren't many NRL coaching positions up for discussion only really Us, Cowboys and Warriors. The Knights position has been filled, Arthur looks more secure, Titans have a new coach, etc, and further, does he need NRL permission to coach overseas?

This may turn out to be another wild goose chase, but there are enough reasons to be optimistic imo.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Id love to sign Thurston part time to help mentor young Sullivan though too. He might be interested in helping out his little mini me.
I think that sounds like a brilliant idea. Sullivan has obviously compared to Thurston. I do rate Thurston as one of the best players I have seen play the game and the equal of Andrew Johns. Any youngster or even established player would be listening to every word he said.

I would be looking to sign Cronk to be part of our coaching staff. He is one of the most technically brilliant players I have seen play the game and I think he would be able to impart that technical brilliance onto others. I have also heard him co commentate on games on Foxsports and he sounded like he has a very good perspective on the game. I think he could really make it as a head coach in first grade in the future. He would have also played under Bellamy for so many years, so he would effectively done his apprenticeship under the best coach in the game. He would also make a very good commentator or co commentator. He could have both jobs like Andrew Johns.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
I think that sounds like a brilliant idea. Sullivan has obviously compared to Thurston. I do rate Thurston as one of the best players I have seen play the game and the equal of Andrew Johns. Any youngster or even established player would be listening to every word he said.

I would be looking to sign Cronk to be part of our coaching staff. He is one of the most technically brilliant players I have seen play the game and I think he would be able to impart that technical brilliance onto others. I have also heard him co commentate on games on Foxsports and he sounded like he has a very good perspective on the game. He would also make a very good commentator or co commentator. He could have both jobs like Andrew Johns.
Top idea.

We should also sign Slater to work with our young fullbacks, Smith to work with McInnes, and GI to teach our centres.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

I would be looking to sign Cronk to be part of our coaching staff. He is one of the most technically brilliant players I have seen play the game and I think he would be able to impart that technical brilliance onto others. I have also heard him co commentate on games on Foxsports and he sounded like he has a very good perspective on the game. He would also make a very good commentator or co commentator. He could have both jobs like Andrew Johns.
I would too but I reckon he will stick around the Rorters, Uncle Nic doesn't let many go.