What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINALLY

Angela Smith

Juniors
I'm still not convinced but I'm praying it happens.. 2nd last. Is that still a pass mark :)

1 more loss then it must happen. Please don't let it drag out into next year.. Why waste another year with this L plater..

I must admit I had a great sleep last night when I saw the news on NRL 360.. Gives us long suffering fans something to look forward to... Players will stay and God forbid external players may want to join us.. I'll even start going back to the games..

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
They can't afford not too, as they will lose sponsors, fans & players. It's past the point of no return now and the club must act or suffer even further.
Surely the Board cannot be that stupid 3 times!

You'd hope not, but then their major sponsor just re-signed despite the crap season. We still have more members than many clubs despite the crap season. We still get lots of free to air TV coverage despite the crap season. I'm suspicious of the review process too - it won't be finished until just before Christmas, by which time we're all watching the cricket and worrying about other things. New Year New Season, the sponsors will sign up again after being shown the newly painted facilities, the Board congratulates themselves on saving at least $600K and we're back to square 1.

As unpalatable as that sounds I reckon it's a real possibility with this bunch of amateurs.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
It’s definitely going to happen. 42 points conceded against an average side like the tigers followed by announcement of a coaching review can only mean one thing.

Vinnie

Juniors
I agree it's important that the Board now swiftly and decisively so that the incoming coach has time to prepare for next year.
In order of preference:
Jason Demetriou - totally enamored by the style of football he coaches. Will be good to watch.
Craig Fitzgibbon - excellent credential and superb temperament.
Geoff Toovey - great football brain and infectious passion and heart.
Flannagan - considerable wrap sheet but undeniably astute coach.
While im a big fan of Demetriou and i really think Fitzgibbon could be a great up and coming coach and honestly i wouldn't complain with either of those 2 getting the job, I really have to lean for:
1. Flanagan and 2. Toovey.

Vinnie

Juniors
While im a big fan of Demetriou and i really think Fitzgibbon could be a great up and coming coach and honestly i wouldn't complain with either of those 2 getting the job, I really have to lean for:
1. Flanagan and 2. TooveY.
Sorry for double post pushed the wrong button much like our current coach ha ha
My reasoning is - We are in a mess we can't afford debutante coach looking to be liked and tip toeing around what he inherits. We need someone to Kick arses move players out (even if they are so called name players) and not be intimidated - them 2 are the best available, both Toovs or Flanno won't take shit from any players and they have proven it ...

Unfortunayely McIdiot has f**ked it so bad it would be impossible for a debutante coach to be expected to perform miracles and fix it and the timing and condition again stuffs it for Demetriou.

Coffs dragon

Bench
You'd hope not, but then their major sponsor just re-signed despite the crap season. We still have more members than many clubs despite the crap season. We still get lots of free to air TV coverage despite the crap season. I'm suspicious of the review process too - it won't be finished until just before Christmas, by which time we're all watching the cricket and worrying about other things. New Year New Season, the sponsors will sign up again after being shown the newly painted facilities, the Board congratulates themselves on saving at least $600K and we're back to square 1.

As unpalatable as that sounds I reckon it's a real possibility with this ease of amateurs.
Jesus Johnno that just about projectiled my coffee at that thought!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Knowing our luck we will put 50 on the Titans and the review will be thrown out......nah it couldnt happen could it !!!!

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

As unpalatable as that sounds I reckon it's a real possibility with this bunch of amateurs.
Now youve got me worried with the major sponsor just resigning.....just when I thought Christmas may have come early

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Im guessing the review will read something like ...We have looked at season 2019 and based on our performances its obvious that our coach Paul McGregor is struggling with his current workload thefefore we have decided to make some adjustments to his coaching staff and have appointed ??????.....to help in this matter....however we have advised Mr McGregor that we will be reviewing our position on the Head coaching role mid season in 2020...or words to that effect....that's why Im not getting to carried away with this so called review. .....I sincerely hope I'm wrong

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would not underestimate Brian Johnston who would still be dealing with the aftermath of Doust. When the Dragons lose to the Titans they will have a success rate of 29% which is pathetic. No sponsor or Board could ignore such a coaching fiasco!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If (big IF) Mary get sacked they will fork out 1.2 mil. If he doesn't they will lose more as memberships will drop, merchandise sales, possibly sponsorship. If they bring in a well credentialed coach that will offer some promise to win a comp, they will get more members to the games, sell more membership and possibly snag new sponsors for bigger dollars. In other words they won't lose money as I am sure it will balance out.

Only thing is I bet they go the cheapest option and get a coach that will take less coin. If they are looking at a cheap option go for Demitriou as I am sure he won't ask for as much as the guys who have NRL experience. Old boys like Fitzgibbon, Ryles, Barrett possible Browny may also be cheaper options as they may jump at the chance and do it for cheap.

They should follow the Knights 1 year rolling contract which I bet they do if Flanno is not allowed to play so they can see what happens next season and if the new coach fails they bring in Flanno.

I have a feeling the will do the usual and keep Mary and give him 8 weeks to prove himself which he will win 4-5 games and they keep him only to again fail and make the 8.

Latest posts