What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

BLM01

First Grade
I reckon some banners should be brought to the games next year after and if he gets the sack..
"Bring Back Mary"
"Mary is Not to Blame"
"Mary Must Return"

St Georgio

Juniors
I still really cannot fathom how far this Club has fallen, 2nd Last, it is truely embarrassing, It is shocking to know that McGregor who at best is just an assistant,will continue as Head coach next year, these morons in charge don't give a rats.
They Should Be Called St George Illawarra Narcissists

Wittenberg

Juniors
Call me a pessimist but I still think he will start 2020 with us. How many times have we heard “after a review is held....” ? And Johnston will not guarantee Mary’s position but he has not said he is going either. My biggest fear surrounds the $ 1.2 million they will have to pay Mary if they cut him, according to one article. As a Club we are not exactly rolling in cash. That is why my anger is fully aimed at our CEO. How Johnston and the Board could have resigned Mary to a $600,000 a year contract after a few weeks despite his overall performance and the trend that repeatedly saw us implode in the second half of the year is beyond me. Unbelievable! That is why I’m still very cautious about assuming he is going because the leadership of this club is not exactly top class.

grouch

First Grade
Call me a pessimist but I still think he will start 2020 with us. How many times have we heard “after a review is held....” ? And Johnston will not guarantee Mary’s position but he has not said he is going either. My biggest fear surrounds the $ 1.2 million they will have to pay Mary if they cut him, according to one article. As a Club we are not exactly rolling in cash. That is why my anger is fully aimed at our CEO. How Johnston and the Board could have resigned Mary to a $600,000 a year contract after a few weeks despite his overall performance and the trend that repeatedly saw us implode in the second half of the year is beyond me. Unbelievable! That is why I’m still very cautious about assuming he is going because the leadership of this club is not exactly top class.
Sad.. no devastating... but true

Dragonslayer

First Grade

The underlying issue here is, can we afford not to get rid of him.

The impact of keeping him is far greater than just reviewing him for the sake of it.
A club in crisis.
What do our juniors think of whats going on? They are all media savvy and can see whats transpiring.
Who seriously, other than journeymen for their last pay cheque, will want to come and play under this regime?
Will sponsors start deserting given the poor crowds etc?
Will the current players be looking to exit, if they haven't had a visit to Millwards office already?
And finally, can they afford to keep the fanbase offside for any ongoing period?

A change in coach could change these fortunes, which over 2yrs at 1.2 million will seem insignificant in the long run.

The impact of keeping him is far greater than just reviewing him for the sake of it.
A club in crisis.
What do our juniors think of whats going on? They are all media savvy and can see whats transpiring.
Who seriously, other than journeymen for their last pay cheque, will want to come and play under this regime?
Will the current players be looking to exit, if they haven't had a visit to Millwards office already?
And finally, can they afford to keep the fanbase offside for any ongoing period?

A change in coach could change these fortunes, which over 2yrs at 1.2 million will seem insignificant in the long run.
Rothfield reported a "massive backlash on social media from fans".
In the end that is the main reason they are budging.
If it wasn't for that, the Board had already decided to carry on as if nothing happened in 2019.
"Pass mark", contract extension and support from Johnston and so on.
After Sunday the switchboard at the club must have been jammed with disgruntled fans.
So $1.2m is a small price to pay (assuming the club doesn't have a get out clause for performance) to get the monkey off their back.
There had to come a time when the even the Board could not defend the indefensible.

BLM01

First Grade
Rothfield reported a "massive backlash on social media from fans".
In the end that is the main reason they are budging.
If it wasn't for that, the Board had already decided to carry on as if nothing happened in 2019.
"Pass mark", contract extension and support from Johnston and so on.
After Sunday the switchboard at the club must have been jammed with disgruntled fans.
So $1.2m is a small price to pay (assuming the club doesn't have a get out clause for performance) to get the monkey off their back.
There had to come a time when the even the Board could not defend the indefensible.
Wait to when we thrash the Titans this week. Our end of season review will be about how we finished the year focussing on Round 25.
Mary and the coaching staff will have 2020 to fix things.

Coffs dragon

Bench

A club in crisis.

Well said Dragonslayer & spot on. Surely the financial burden could be offset in the savings by the collective departures of Hornby, Young, Crawley, Head plus throw in Millward on top of Mary.
Employ Fitzgibbon as head coach on a modest 2 year salary with Flanno or Brown as advisor/assistant including recruitment. They both have prior experience in this role at previous clubs. Trim the old boys hanger-oners & probably utilise a coaching structure revamp.

Wittenberg

Juniors

A club in crisis.

Agree with all you say Dragonslayer but a Club stupid enough to resign him when they did worries me.

Wait to when we thrash the Titans this week. Our end of season review will be about how we finished the year focussing on Round 25.
Mary and the coaching staff will have 2020 to fix things.
We may score plenty of points but just remember that the Titans scored 28 of their own last time.
They have our measure in attack.
It's just their defence is worse than ours.
Should be another high scoring affair.

BLM01

First Grade
We may score plenty of points but just remember that the Titans scored 28 of their own last time.
They have our measure in attack.
It's just their defence is worse than ours.
Should be another high scoring affair.
Have faith Dennis. Dragons footy. We will put in a big one for Mary, Gaz, Lats & the supporters and go into pre-season in a positive mind set.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Have faith Dennis. Dragons footy. We will put in a big one for Mary, Gaz, Lats & the supporters and go into pre-season in a positive mind set.
IF we beat the Titan watch him go into job saving mode:
- we're only 4 wins from making the 8 this year
- lots of distractions
- injuries to key players
- origin
- climate change, you name it

And then when the review is done, he'll be safe and surrounded by new assistants.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor likely to be sacked by Dragons in post-season review: new report
By WWOS staff

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is now likely to be sacked in a post-season review, a new report says.

The Daily Telegraph's Phil Rothfield wrote that despite having been re-signed for two further seasons this year, McGregor was on the chopping block.

The Dragons will finish the season 15th, despite predictions that they would be a finals team with some premiership credentials. It is the St George Illawarra joint venture's worst-ever finish.

McGregor looks set to pay the price despite early expectations that he would survive, with Rothfield writing: "Officials are resigned to having to make the difficult call after a disastrous season."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F307a3640-f2f4-4601-8ac7-1b3a24b1719f

Dragons coach Paul McGregor. (Getty)
Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon and Cronulla premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan have been named as possible replacements; though Flanagan would need to be cleared by the NRL after being deregistered.

McGregor is reportedly on $600,000 per season at the Dragons. His team was smashed 42-14 by Wests Tigers on Sunday.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/paul-m...-dragons/d5baebfa-4cfe-476f-b28f-7d44212ba80a