What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: NRL Expansion

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
There's heaps of merkins in Brisbane who hate the Broncos. This will be their second team, and eventually their kids' first team.
Most of those people already have a team that they support.

That said, I'm sure there are enough people that would support them. Brisbane is a large city.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
AFL talk about expansion yet Rugby League want to talk about mergers, all instigated by Ch 9.

Whats wrong with this picture ?

NRL is so poorly run its become a joke.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Culling a team in Sydney isn’t the answer. History has proved this.
It's also a bit dumb population wise. Sydney is growing and will continue to grow more than Brisbane.
AFL talk about expansion yet Rugby League want to talk about mergers, all instigated by Ch 9.

Whats wrong with this picture ?

NRL is so poorly run its become a joke.

Honestly, we need a PNG team. We'll add 8 million fans and a full stadium every week.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I know a few. It's a friggen disgrace. 2 blokes I know have gone from Penrith to the Roosters.
I was a Raiders fan in 1991. About part way through the grand final I realised I wanted Penrith to win. After that game I was back on Parra with a vengeance. Sport is all about the underdog.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, we need a PNG team. We'll add 8 million fans and a full stadium every week.

they are League mad up there so yeh, why dont we cash in on it

travel costs need to be considered and could be a deal breaker unless we got Qantas or some one on board

Haynzy

First Grade
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Adeaide Eels playing out of Hindmarsh Stadium is a no brainer.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The original Eels fans were all bandwagoners.
We picked up Annandale and Glebe's finest fans.

50d0f08eeab8ea6a6300001a-750.jpg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Apart from their fans, would anyone care if the Eels were cut?

or insert name of any other team
Over on silvertails.net, Manly fans are blowing up that their club has been fingered, and I saw a couple of them say they'd be unhappy if Parra were kicked out. Probably because they think they'll go back to beating us all the time.

Apart from their fans, would anyone care if the Eels were cut?

or insert name of any other team

Absolutely. A whole bunch of people would hate to see Parra go.

We're a club with a history in the glorious 80s.
We're in the centre of Sydney.
We have a bunch of Western Sydney rivals.
We have a big fan base.

Plenty of people love Parra even if they don't support them.

Other teams?
Brisbane - Everyone hates them. Everyone would scream if they were cut. Need the big Brisbane team.
Melbourne - Everyone hates them. Most people would scream if they were cut because we need a team in that city.
Penrith - Need the westie team. They absolutely have their own identity.
Souths - Tradition. Do not cut.
Roosters - Tradition. Do not cut.
Dragons - Tradition. Do not cut.
Cowboys - Like Penrith, have their own bogan identity. Also, have their own region. No one would want them cut.
Manly - Everyone hates them. No one wants them cut.
Warriors - Like Melbourne, need a team in that area for the good of the league.
Newcastle - Have their own identity and their own region. People would spew if the NRL tried to cut them.
Tigers - Have the whole Leichardt feels bullshit going, which gives them an identity. I personally couldn't care less about them but a lot of others do.
Dogs - Respected team, even when down in the dumps. Would not be anywhere near anyone's first choice.

So, who would cause the least fuss to cut?
Sharks - No one gives a shit about them except the Dragons.
Titans - No one gives a shit about them. Some would be against it because you need as many Qld teams as possible to counter the Broncos dominance.

I think Canberra sit in the middle, but are probably closer to Newcastle (important regional team) than the Sharks.

So, basically, if there has to be one Sydney team that goes, it's the Sharks. Not that i want them gone - I'd prefer an expansion to 16 teams with Brisbane 2 and Perth - but if it has to happen for whatever reason, then f**k the Sharks.

eel01s

Bench
Shouldn't need to cut teams. Would better to add two (means extra game for TV) and introduce a conference system with true home and away rounds, followed by new finals system.

Latest posts