What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

betcats

Referee
"Doesn't perform in the first couple of months"

Are you really ready to give him that much time if he's not performing? If he's serving up garbage I'd hope it'd take less than a 'couple of months' to bring Burton in - And vice versa for that matter - Not just recycle players for the younger one, but hold them accountable for their form, and drop them if needed - As @betcats has said, this is a business, and a cut throat one at that.

Exactly. On the same train of thought I am not just going to give Luai one of the most important spots in the team if Burton looks better after the preseason just because Luai has been waiting longer. Make it a fair contest for first crack at the starting spot, I think they will both end up in the 17 anyway.

betcats

Referee
Luai's tackle effiency is 71%. We all know Maloney struggles defending on that side. The team as a whole has defence issues hardly just one guy

Yep and all Burton did was eat a dummy from Shaun Johnson while the sharks already had an overlap outside him, I am fairly certain that is the only try that the sharks scored down burtons side so its not like he has defensive issues like some are making out.

OldPanther

Coach
Exactly. On the same train of thought I am not just going to give Luai one of the most important spots in the team if Burton looks better after the preseason just because Luai has been waiting longer. Make it a fair contest for first crack at the starting spot, I think they will both end up in the 17 anyway.

This. I thin they are both there somewhere. The off season can decide who is what position based on what's best for the team to succeed.

Exsilium

First Grade
IC is obviously a guy who picks on form and wouldn’t hold a player back....

He’s the best man manager in the game

Fangs

Coach
Anyone able to tell me the last time Nathan Cleary kicked a ball into touch?

I honestly can't remember. I'm being sincere but I'm disturbed by it at the same time.

TL51

Juniors
With Maloney leaving, and goal kicking of vital importance in close games, who will be our back up kicker if Nathan is injured?

Whino

Bench
With Maloney leaving, and goal kicking of vital importance in close games, who will be our back up kicker if Nathan is injured?

Luai kicked when he played the Warriors last year.
Koroisau has kicked half a dozen goals. Don't know how good he is though.
Maybe one of those 2 practice more in the off season for back up.
I think Edwards may have kicked in lower grades?

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Luai kicked when he played the Warriors last year.
Koroisau has kicked half a dozen goals. Don't know how good he is though.
Maybe one of those 2 practice more in the off season for back up.
I think Edwards may have kicked in lower grades?

Edwards was kicking in NSW Cup this year. Burton, Crichton and Luai have kicked goals too

betcats

Referee
What is Maloney doing tho? Both seasons he has ended in piss poor form when he should be stepping up and owning it. Both seasons his best form has been around origin time and then he goes missing for half a season. Cant wait to see the back of him tbh, look at the penalty he gave away before the roosters first try, we had momentum, we had them pinned in the twenty and our most experienced player and supposed leader who is the shortest guy out there gives away a high tackle penalty cause he is too f**king lazy to tackle properly.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
What is Maloney doing tho? Both seasons he has ended in piss poor form when he should be stepping up and owning it. Both seasons his best form has been around origin time and then he goes missing for half a season. Cant wait to see the back of him tbh, look at the penalty he gave away before the roosters first try, we had momentum, we had them pinned in the twenty and our most experienced player and supposed leader who is the shortest guy out there gives away a high tackle penalty cause he is too f**king lazy to tackle properly.

plenty of negatives no doubt but look plenty of things he still does well that I don't know if anyone can fill moving forward

18 try assist (9th overall in the comp)
4 FG (1st overall)
3 40/20 (2nd overall) Cleary 0
29 forced line drop outs (1st in the comp) Cleary is 4th so hope for that one
Less kick errors than Cleary

So while defence and stupid penalties may drop with him gone. General play will be worse off

betcats

Referee
plenty of negatives no doubt but look plenty of things he still does well that I don't know if anyone can fill moving forward

4 FG (1st overall)

So while defence and stupid penalties may drop with him gone. General play will be worse off

When is Maloneys last good game of footy? Origin 2? We could easily be better off without him.

Luai or Burton will pick up some of that attacking slack and should provide similar or better defence and discipline and Nathan plays better without Maloney.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
I think average is fair for Cleary, particularly if you weight his 2019 performances and disregard his age.

S
DCE
Cronk

A
Reynolds
Moses
Brooks

B
Pearce
Croft
Sezer

C
Cleary
Green
Townsend
Hunt

D
Clifford
Lewis
O'Sullivan
Jacks

Middle of the pack and I'm probably being slightly generous if I'm honest.

Dave's mate

Juniors

4 FG (1st overall)

Id love to see the stats on tries let in by Maloney missed tackles and sets after he's given away brain dead penalties. Id me amazed if he comes out infront

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
When is Maloneys last good game of footy? Origin 2? We could easily be better off without him.

Luai or Burton will pick up some of that attacking slack and should provide similar or better defence and discipline and Nathan plays better without Maloney.

Some slack, lets say half the assists. And we rely on Cleary to make 4-5 extra assists next year. That puts us back on par with our 2019 attack. Rest is on Korisau.

Looks bleak to me.