What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Next Coach

Our Next Coach for 2021

• Total voters

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I would like to see the Dragon hierarchy use their balls for once instead of their f**king brains and sign a proven performer , one whom is a hard task master and has the runs on the board - Shaun Wane .

Nothing against Griffin as I also have a high opinion of him , but if you had a choice of a watch for the same dollar value which would you choose - the silver watch or the gold ?

Wane has zero experience at NRL level.

ram raid

Bench
Was waiting for the reports which have come up again today that we cannot afford the payout of $1.2m to get rid of him so he will be given the start of next year to show his worth. If they go down this track which would not surprise me with this incompetent Board take all his authority away appoint an assistant coach or advisor to make decisions including team selections and force him out. Surely his enormous ego would not allow him to put up with minimal authority - he will want out and they negotiate a far lower payout than $1.2m. All goes back to an incompetent Board not including a performance clause in his contract which is standard in business.

It's crazy that they extended him when they did. Like they were saying on NRL 360 last night, it's not like he was about to go anywhere. More clubs should look into flexible contracts such as what Newcastle had in place with Brown.

SAP58

Juniors
It's crazy that they extended him when they did. Like they were saying on NRL 360 last night, it's not like he was about to go anywhere. More clubs should look into flexible contracts such as what Newcastle had in place with Brown.
Agree, business contracts have changed a lot particularly in recent years to very much performance based to stop exactly what is happening here - large payouts to get rid of under performers like McIdiot. It is astounding why they signed him again so soon and then didnt have appropriate clauses in place to protect the business.
I keep hearing from people such as James Graham how much he loves the club, well if he loves it that much swallow his massive ego, have some balls and step aside as Nathan Brown did because he could see it wasnt working.

ram raid

Bench
Agree, business contracts have changed a lot particularly in recent years to very much performance based to stop exactly what is happening here - large payouts to get rid of under performers like McIdiot. It is astounding why they signed him again so soon and then didnt have appropriate clauses in place to protect the business.
I keep hearing from people such as James Graham how much he loves the club, well if he loves it that much swallow his massive ego, have some balls and step aside as Nathan Brown did because he could see it wasnt working.

Yeah. Or at least be open to some negotiated resolution. It could be better for him in the long run. It doesn't benefit anyone sticking around when nobody wants you there. Brown came out of that situation relatively untarnished in spite of everything. Maybe Brown will get the Dragons job heh

BLM01

First Grade
What and walk away from 1.2 mill he is owed....I would not. .Nathan Brown had a year to year contract...different thing

grouch

First Grade
A two time sacked coach? Is that what Saints have become, a refuge for underperformers?

The club should be aiming much higher.
Good coaches get sacked too. David Waite was sacked by Newcastle. Des Hasler was sacked by the Dogs. John Lang.

As for Griffin, he was only sacked by Brisbane because they got the GOAT Wayne, and clearly the Penrith sacking was an error. I don't mind him

Dragonslayer

First Grade
This $1.2m "excuse" has me intrigued.

So, we are in Sept 2019 and if rumours are true, cannot "afford" to pay him out. Again ifvrjmours are fact, by April next year, given 6 games to prove himself, we would suddenly gave the cash then and be able to emoloy a coach on the spot.
Whilst ai'm not calling this crap, mainly because our Board is so incompetant anyway, there is no difference between $1.2m now and $1.2m 6 games into 2020.
Again, it appears to me that the Board is buying time hoping we have a big win against the Titans, the tidal wave of rage dies down to a ripple and everything is back on track. Or, is it waiting for all committments to end before pushing the button.

Never before had I ever gone into a game, especially last V 2nd last with so much riding on the result.
It's basically a reverse grand final.

martielang

Bench
Griffins a decent coach. He's no tactical mastermind but he gets the players ridiculously fit & gets their attitude spot on, so much so that you never really feel you're out of the game. We've fallen to shit in both departments without him.

The only Panthers supporters that think he's useless are the blokes that are still upset he turfed Matty Moylan for being a shitbag. Another quality of his.

Slackboy72

Coach
He has a 55% wining record but that largely masks that his last three years at brisbane were mediocre.

blacksafake

First Grade
Griffins a decent coach. He's no tactical mastermind but he gets the players ridiculously fit & gets their attitude spot on, so much so that you never really feel you're out of the game. We've fallen to shit in both departments without him.

The only Panthers supporters that think he's useless are the blokes that are still upset he turfed Matty Moylan for being a shitbag. Another quality of his.
So he’d be better off if he had a good attacking assistant. Or is he to stubborn to take advice. There were reports that he & Gus butted heads. Maybe Gus wanted too much input into attack.

D4L_Dave

Juniors
If we go after best available experienced coach, that is Flannagen, but since he is not an option till 2021, give the next best available a year contract with the view to signing Flanno, with the option by mid year (July) to keep Brown if we are flying along and or Flanno doesn't happen. Griffin, Toovey ect won't cop one year but Brown is on record as being ok with it

ram raid

Bench

So, we are in Sept 2019 and if rumours are true, cannot "afford" to pay him out. Again ifvrjmours are fact, by April next year, given 6 games to prove himself, we would suddenly gave the cash then and be able to emoloy a coach on the spot.
Whilst ai'm not calling this crap, mainly because our Board is so incompetant anyway, there is no difference between $1.2m now and $1.2m 6 games into 2020.
Again, it appears to me that the Board is buying time hoping we have a big win against the Titans, the tidal wave of rage dies down to a ripple and everything is back on track. Or, is it waiting for all committments to end before pushing the button.

Never before had I ever gone into a game, especially last V 2nd last with so much riding on the result.

Are you saying that you will be supporting the Titans on the weekend? If so, Kudos. That must take some hard moral gymnastics to pull off.

Slackboy72

Coach
If we go after best available experienced coach, that is Flannagen, but since he is not an option till 2021, give the next best available a year contract with the view to signing Flanno, with the option by mid year (July) to keep Brown if we are flying along and or Flanno doesn't happen. Griffin, Toovey ect won't cop one year but Brown is on record as being ok with it
I would give Fitzgibbon two years with him knowing we plan to chase Bellamy unless he makes top 6 both years.
After him then Griffin, then Toovey.

In 2021, assuming the next coach has not improved tings suitably, we should look at securing Bellamy first, Flanagan second.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Maybe 6 games in next year is when the term deposit matures.

ram raid

Bench

I think the players at his other gigs found Griffin a bit 'old school' and remote. From what I can gather, what they meant by 'old school' is that he ran the place like a headmaster. The players wanted more of a buddy coach, like Trent Barrett.

St Georgio

Juniors
I think the players at his other gigs found Griffin a bit 'old school' and remote. From what I can gather, what they meant by 'old school' is that he ran the place like a headmaster. The players wanted more of a buddy coach, like Trent Barrett.
Well Trent did a fantastic job at Manly that he was well and Truly a great buddy, fast forward a year later Old School Des Hasler is streets ahead, if Manly didn't lose Tom they would've given the top Contenders a real big scare!
Griffith, Wane, Brown should all be an option for the Job.

Last edited:

Paddles

Juniors
A couple of confounding issues about the $1.2m deal:

1. Timing. There was no need to complete the deal when they did with no-one chasing McGregor's signature and no knowledge about how the season would play out (except for, say the last 5 years of failure which indicated we were heading this way sooner or later)

2. Amount. How did they arrive at this figure, including presumably a payrise? Where would he be going if not here? What are the comparative offers they needed to match and beat? What do Dapto pay a captain/coach?

Failures everywhere. If they don't lock in a new coach asap the board are further highlighting their gross incompetence.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
No coach should be retained with a 2019 success rate of around 30%. Craig Young was sacked with a success rate of 41%. Mc Gregor
has never had a great strategy and at the moment apart from his usual one liners about
tries scored from kicks not being legitimate, he is totally devoid of constructive ideas and selects a backline in tatters and regularly chooses injured forwards. The playing roster for next year is in tatters with Widdop leaving,
Graham getting older and the CC backups moving on. The Club has no future at NRL Level due to incompetent operatives resulting in the fans and sponsors being totally confounded and disillusioned.