What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

betcats

Referee
Some slack, lets say half the assists. And we rely on Cleary to make 4-5 extra assists next year. That puts us back on par with our 2019 attack. Rest is on Korisau.

Looks bleak to me.

If Luai plays most of the season at 6 then 9 assists is a very conservative figure for him based on his previous games starting in the halves. Burton remains to be seen but he looks like an attacking weapon to me.

OldPanther

Coach
If Luai plays most of the season at 6 then 9 assists is a very conservative figure for him based on his previous games starting in the halves. Burton remains to be seen but he looks like an attacking weapon to me.

Burton threw a beautiful cut out ball to the winger on the weekend. Playing 6 outside Cleary will make them both look good although Luai is good as well.

franklin2323

Immortal
Id love to see the stats on tries let in by Maloney missed tackles and sets after he's given away brain dead penalties. Id me amazed if he comes out infront

Luai has 6 penalties in 12 games..Many of those games were limited game time of the bench and has a pretty average tackle effenciency...so no guarantee that improves dramatically either

franklin2323

Immortal
I think average is fair for Cleary, particularly if you weight his 2019 performances and disregard his age.

S
DCE
Cronk

A
Reynolds
Moses
Brooks

B
Pearce
Croft
Sezer

C
Cleary
Green
Townsend
Hunt

D
Clifford
Lewis
O'Sullivan
Jacks

Middle of the pack and I'm probably being slightly generous if I'm honest.

Hard to argue with that assessment.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Burton threw a beautiful cut out ball to the winger on the weekend. Playing 6 outside Cleary will make them both look good although Luai is good as well.

Cleary should be playing 6 IMO. His strength in attack is no doubt his running game. Playing 6, Cleary can have more of a run first mentality.

I still prefer him at 9 by the way, but that won't be happening for a few years now.

franklin2323

Immortal
When is Maloneys last good game of footy? Origin 2? We could easily be better off without him.

Luai or Burton will pick up some of that attacking slack and should provide similar or better defence and discipline and Nathan plays better without Maloney.

Does Cleary really play better?

Try Assists alone according to NRL.com

This year: 9
Last year: 9
2017: 10
2016: 8

So he has been pretty consist with what he produces...So what will change?

2016 was our best attacking year probably this decade and it was others creating most of it

Moylan 21 try assists
Bryce 10 try assists
Peachey and Wallace 9.

So as a whole the spine was pretty good but it was the other spine players not Cleary

The Realist

Juniors
The huge irony here is that, at least in terms of offensive skills, both Luai and Burton are both better #6's that Cleary, but even worse...both are probably better #7's with ball in hand. The only offensive skill Nathan has over them is a kicking game that is not all that impressive. Luai can get better with experience and I think Burton already has a good short kicking game and could add at least a decent long kicking game.

But nothing will change now that Daddy is in charge. This is just a gigantic problem.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The huge irony here is that, at least in terms of offensive skills, both Luai and Burton are both better #6's that Cleary, but even worse...both are probably better #7's with ball in hand. The only offensive skill Nathan has over them is a kicking game that is not all that impressive. Luai can get better with experience and I think Burton already has a good short kicking game and could add at least a decent long kicking game.

But nothing will change now that Daddy is in charge. This is just a gigantic problem.

It will be very interesting if we ever got to a point where it is obvious our best halves are Burton and Luai. Ivan will have to stand down as coach!

betcats

Referee
Does Cleary really play better?

Try Assists alone according to NRL.com

This year: 9
Last year: 9
2017: 10
2016: 8

So he has been pretty consist with what he produces...So what will change?

2016 was our best attacking year probably this decade and it was others creating most of it

Moylan 21 try assists
Bryce 10 try assists
Peachey and Wallace 9.

So as a whole the spine was pretty good but it was the other spine players not Cleary

I think Cleary plays better when Jimmy isn't there.

10Grand

Juniors
It will be very interesting if we ever got to a point where it is obvious our best halves are Burton and Luai. Ivan will have to stand down as coach!
Burton and Luai played 6 & 7 in canterbury cup the last couple of weeks and it was not pretty,no combination whatsoever,neither could guide the team..Burton looks better of the two but Luai should be given the first shot at the number 6 jersey

ACTPanthers

Bench
Burton and Luai played 6 & 7 in canterbury cup the last couple of weeks and it was not pretty,no combination whatsoever,neither could guide the team..Burton looks better of the two but Luai should be given the first shot at the number 6 jersey

Why though? If Burton is playing better than Luai, why should Luai get first shot?

betcats

Referee
I’m not sure Luai in the 7 is a good idea, he is too erratic, it’s hard to see him getting us around the park consistently imo.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Thoughts on the video and Cleary not being able to pass to the backline? As Daz said a centre is pointless on our right apparently.

You've legit come up with a handful of examples in 80 games :joy::joy::joy:

Two of which are kicks. Only 1 is a cut out and if you watch his eyes he meant to pass it to Edwards but he stuffed up and it went to Whare.

betcats

Referee
Thoughts on the video and Cleary not being able to pass to the backline? As Daz said a centre is pointless on our right apparently.

He doesn’t kick the ball out either apparently.......

I’ve seen Cleary throw beautiful long passes plenty of times, he gets death ridden a bit now imo I just try to ignore it.

OldPanther

Coach
You've legit come up with a handful of examples in 80 games :joy::joy::joy:

Two of which are kicks. Only 1 is a cut out and if you watch his eyes he meant to pass it to Edwards but he stuffed up and it went to Whare.

I said in the description the examples aren't exhaustive. It's meant as a discussion point as I'm working on a proper video. It does prove the point that he is capable which you have said he isn't. I said in the video it isn't happening regularly like it should. My hypothesis is coaching issues.

The kicks show are to show his vision.

Latest posts