What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The day Mark Geyer made Paul Kent vomit with a ‘high and late’ shot
LEAGUE

$

Mark Geyer once went after Paul Kent on the footy field, with serious consequences. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Corp Australia
This may come as no surprise, but Mark Geyer has a temper — and Paul Kent was once on the wrong end of it.

Speaking on The Matty Johns Show podcast, the Newscorp journalist has recalled the time he wrote a column about Geyer, and how the former enforcer sought revenge while playing for Umina in 1994.

At the time, Kent was playing for Ourimbah, and the two of them faced off in a painful confrontation, with grim consequences.

“It wasn’t a tackle, it was a little high, a little late and an elbow behind the ear,” Kent said.

“I wrote a story about him. He was on the way out of Balmain and Penrith were considering taking him.”

Another journalist thought Geyer should go back to Penrith, but Kent said he should be made to play park football for a year as a reminder of how lucky he was to be playing first grade.

The newspaper ran both columns side-by-side, and Geyer didn’t much like what Kent had to say.

Unluckily for Kent, Geyer was forced to play park footy — in his own competition.

“Instead of going to Penrith, where I thought he was going to play, he went to Umina. I was playing at Ourimbah, we played them in six weeks,” he said.

“So I rock up to the game on game day and all the Umina players are going: ‘what have you done to MG, he’s filthy at you’.

“Anyway, we run out, I’m playing fullback, I’m standing back to catch the ball from my front-rower, MG comes out, he’s got water dripping off him everywhere and he’s looking around and finally sees me standing next to the posts, and he goes: ‘you’re f*cking dead’.”

Even Kent’s front-rower, the man who was supposed to protect him, was scared.

“The whole game he’s after me, he finally gets me, gives me a clip, a brawl starts, by the time I get in the dressing room I’m vomiting from concussion,” Kent says.

They were sent off, and back in the sheds it kicks off again.

Kent’s captain Johnny Allanson had another go at MG, who was ‘wrecking’ the dressing sheds next door.

They met in the tunnel and exchanged a few choice words before all the ‘old blokes’ had to pull them off each other.

Steve ‘Blocker’ Roach made a joke, but it could have a vein of truth to it.

“That’s not a tackle, that’s assault!”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/th...7FcTLrnp0j0pUHYnj66GdKy9KFYQ8CoJ85mbpN9xb3ShM

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The day Mark Geyer made Paul Kent vomit with a ‘high and late’ shot
LEAGUE

$

Mark Geyer once went after Paul Kent on the footy field, with serious consequences. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Corp Australia
This may come as no surprise, but Mark Geyer has a temper — and Paul Kent was once on the wrong end of it.

Speaking on The Matty Johns Show podcast, the Newscorp journalist has recalled the time he wrote a column about Geyer, and how the former enforcer sought revenge while playing for Umina in 1994.

At the time, Kent was playing for Ourimbah, and the two of them faced off in a painful confrontation, with grim consequences.

“It wasn’t a tackle, it was a little high, a little late and an elbow behind the ear,” Kent said.

“I wrote a story about him. He was on the way out of Balmain and Penrith were considering taking him.”

Another journalist thought Geyer should go back to Penrith, but Kent said he should be made to play park football for a year as a reminder of how lucky he was to be playing first grade.

The newspaper ran both columns side-by-side, and Geyer didn’t much like what Kent had to say.

Unluckily for Kent, Geyer was forced to play park footy — in his own competition.

“Instead of going to Penrith, where I thought he was going to play, he went to Umina. I was playing at Ourimbah, we played them in six weeks,” he said.

“So I rock up to the game on game day and all the Umina players are going: ‘what have you done to MG, he’s filthy at you’.

“Anyway, we run out, I’m playing fullback, I’m standing back to catch the ball from my front-rower, MG comes out, he’s got water dripping off him everywhere and he’s looking around and finally sees me standing next to the posts, and he goes: ‘you’re f*cking dead’.”

Even Kent’s front-rower, the man who was supposed to protect him, was scared.

“The whole game he’s after me, he finally gets me, gives me a clip, a brawl starts, by the time I get in the dressing room I’m vomiting from concussion,” Kent says.

They were sent off, and back in the sheds it kicks off again.

Kent’s captain Johnny Allanson had another go at MG, who was ‘wrecking’ the dressing sheds next door.

They met in the tunnel and exchanged a few choice words before all the ‘old blokes’ had to pull them off each other.

Steve ‘Blocker’ Roach made a joke, but it could have a vein of truth to it.

“That’s not a tackle, that’s assault!”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/th...7FcTLrnp0j0pUHYnj66GdKy9KFYQ8CoJ85mbpN9xb3ShM[/Footage please Twiz.
Footage please Twiz

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenneel

Bench
Yes a rumour from the lurker:

“Reagan Campbell-Gillard will be on close to $1 million at Penrith next season - and the Panthers are so desperate to get rid of the big prop that they are willing to pay half his salary if he finds a new club.

It would be an unprecedented move to pay such a massive amount to have a player run around for a rival club - but the Panthers are ready to bite the bullet.

The old Gus Gould regime signed Campbell-Gillard to a massive five year deal last year and new coach Ivan Cleary doesn't believe it to be money well spent.

Only one club is showing interest in the former State of Origin and Test prop - the Panthers' arch rivals and neighbours Parramatta.

The Eels are losing veteran prop Tim Mannah and while they would never consider Campbell-Gillard on his current deal, they see a $500,000 salary as a bargain.

If they can clear RCG from their books, Penrith will make a play for Roosters hardman Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Stand by for developments over the off season.”

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...ard-2020-salary-cap/mbsgnplye7oq1knnmzjtljqlb
If true, which I doubt, how can Penrith be cap compliant? They were paying a large amount to Waqa Blake and must of increased their contribution for Parra to take him. They balked at the original deal. Obviously nothing for the NRL to see here.

hindy111

Post Whore
lol@Gould

no wonder he walked

Finals 3 years in a row. He leaves and they drop off perch.

You believe too much paper talk..
RCG would maybe be on 650- 700k. His form before breaking jaw and signing contract was worth it. He wouldn't be on 1 mill.
His current form suggest 450k is what he is worth.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I am no fan of RGC, however assuming RGC may cost around $450-500k and JWH probably around $700k (obviously all just a guess), RGC is probably better value based on their 2019 stats.

Yes JWH is the better player and better attacking player, however there isn’t a massive difference to justify $250k difference in their contracts.

Additionally JWH is 31 next year, so he has peaked and probably on the decline while RGC potentially has a bit of improvement considering his age (27 next year) luck with injuries and playing in a average side.

Also JWH playing with roosters would inflate his stats (easier playing in a top side) over RGC playing in a poor side.

Stats 2019 (happy to be corrected if someone has better stats)

RCG - 22 games, averaging 47 mins, 104 m per game, 35 PCM per game,10 hit ups per game, 9.7 m per run, 0.9 TB, 0.5 offloads, 30 tackles per game at 93%, 13 penalties

JWH, 17 games, averaging 51 mins per game, 136 m per game, 45 PCM game, 13 hit ups per game, 12.9 per run, 1.1 TB, 0.9 TB, 30 tackles per game at 93%. 16 penalties

The big difference is metres per hit up, however, how much can this be attributed to playing with the roosters? And what are the chances of this happening as JWH heads into his 30’s? Would RCG playing in a better side improve? Would you want JWH at the eels at 33 on a big contract?

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Finals 3 years in a row. He leaves and they drop off perch.

You believe too much paper talk..
RCG would maybe be on 650- 700k. His form before breaking jaw and signing contract was worth it. He wouldn't be on 1 mill.
His current form suggest 450k is what he is worth.
We should not believe the papers but should believe you ? Please go on ...

57c496efb6fa0217008b4840-750-375.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
He is, but like any aging player that will affect demand, and therefore his price.

Yep, no doubt we have been able to secure Mennings commensurate with his ample, yet declining abilities.

It all comes down to $$$$. My guess is that with our new "value for money" mantra, that JWH will be signed by another club willing to pay overs.

TheRam

Coach
500k is still overs.

Lol @ Penrith

If he regains his best form it is probably slightly unders. I suspect that he can and just need a change and new environment. I for one would be very happy if we did actually sign him. Just think about his best form and if we could of signed him 2 or 3 seasons ago for $500K, we would all be waxing lyrical at the absolute bargain we scored. Yeah I know he is way down on that form, but his injury was not leg related or anything related to strength, agility or speed. He is suffering mentally, so under the right management and environment, it could all come back. Definitely worth the punt. Also playing in a quality roster week in week out in front of a home crowd at Paradise Stadium is something he hasn't ever been part of and should help get him there easier.

Then if we snagged the player emjaycee eluded to a few weeks ago, we would have a great team that can threaten for the premiership next year barring any major injuries.

P.S. Moses and D. Brown both need to work on the subtleties of their respective games so as to take full advantage of our roster next year. Bring in a someone like M. Johns for example to mentor them. It would also help having someone like him actually promoting our team instead of just laughing at them and N. Hindy at every opportunity. Obviously the best former player from next year for this would probably be Cronk, but the Roosters have him at this stage. Fitler would also be a great teacher for our halves and already has a great rapport with Moses. I would love any of these big name former players to have a roll with our club. Sadly we never seem to get them. We tried getting Ennis and he rissoled us to go all the way down to Canberra instead. Boy how little clout our coach seems to have within the RL community.

P. P. S. We need to get much fitter also. I would do my damnedest to get us to Melbourne level fitness or even Tigers fitness. I don't think we are at those levels.

TheRam

Coach
I am no fan of RGC, however assuming RGC may cost around $450-500k and JWH probably around $700k (obviously all just a guess), RGC is probably better value based on their 2019 stats.

Yes JWH is the better player and better attacking player, however there isn’t a massive difference to justify $250k difference in their contracts.

Additionally JWH is 31 next year, so he has peaked and probably on the decline while RGC potentially has a bit of improvement considering his age (27 next year) luck with injuries and playing in a average side.

Also JWH playing with roosters would inflate his stats (easier playing in a top side) over RGC playing in a poor side.

Stats 2019 (happy to be corrected if someone has better stats)

RCG - 22 games, averaging 47 mins, 104 m per game, 35 PCM per game,10 hit ups per game, 9.7 m per run, 0.9 TB, 0.5 offloads, 30 tackles per game at 93%, 13 penalties

JWH, 17 games, averaging 51 mins per game, 136 m per game, 45 PCM game, 13 hit ups per game, 12.9 per run, 1.1 TB, 0.9 TB, 30 tackles per game at 93%. 16 penalties

The big difference is metres per hit up, however, how much can this be attributed to playing with the roosters? And what are the chances of this happening as JWH heads into his 30’s? Would RCG playing in a better side improve? Would you want JWH at the eels at 33 on a big contract?

Great post mate.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
P.S. Moses and D. Brown both need to work on the subtleties of their respective games so as to take full advantage of our roster next year. Bring in a someone like M. Johns for example to mentor them. It would also help having someone like him actually promoting our team instead of just laughing at them and N. Hindy at every opportunity. Obviously the best former player from next year for this would probably be Cronk, but the Roosters have him at this stage. Fitler would also be a great teacher for our halves and already has a great rapport with Moses. I would love any of these big name former players to have a roll with our club. Sadly we never seem to get them. We tried getting Ennis and he rissoled us to go all the way down to Canberra instead. Boy how little clout our coach seems to have within the RL community.

Think I read somewhere Moses has regular chats with Sterlo to help his game.

Ennis has helped Mahoney out https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/19/ennis-the-man-behind-mahoneys-rise/

Mark Carrol has been helping Evans out https://amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/31ae11d2428e9991927ae1eb740d6d71

Latest posts