What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

Springs09

Juniors
Regular season - Draws or 10 minutes extra time, no golden anything.

Finals - ten minutes extra time. If still drawn, another 10 minutes extra time.

Quicksilver

Bench
Just keep going until something happens.

Great entertainment value and a great display of endurance.

I’d live to see a game with an extra 40 minutes or so

JJ

Immortal
There's not any need for Golden Point in the regular season...

Finals, different story, but perhaps some normal period of extra time first?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Be interesting to see a comp table without golden point for 2019

I was bored work lol so this is what it'll look like: (not great at Maths so could be wrong)

Melbourne 23 42 325
Sydney Roosters 23 35 269
Souths 23 33 99
Canberra 23 30 153
Parramatta 23 29 45
Manly 23 28 64
Cronulla 23 25 34
Wests Tigers 23 24 6
Brisbane 23 24 -42
Newcastle 23 23 8
North Queensland 23 21 -113
Penrith 23 20 -107
Canterbury 23 20 -167
NZ Warriors 23 19 -145
St George Illawarra 23 15 -157
Gold Coast Titans 23 10 -273

We've had 10 golden point games this year all decided by a field goal.

Last year we had 4 golden point games, one decided by a penalty goal.

The last game decided by a try was in 2017.

This year's Brisbane Warriors game was the first draw since Gold Coast Vs Cronulla in 2016.

I enjoyed that Gold Coast game in 2016 until the last 5 minutes in GP where both sides kept going for field goals not trying anything different.

juro

Bench
I was bored work lol so this is what it'll look like: (not great at Maths so could be wrong)

Melbourne 23 42 325
Sydney Roosters 23 35 269
Souths 23 33 99
Canberra 23 30 153
Parramatta 23 29 45
Manly 23 28 64
Cronulla 23 25 34
Wests Tigers 23 24 6
Brisbane 23 24 -42
Newcastle 23 23 8
North Queensland 23 21 -113
Penrith 23 20 -107
Canterbury 23 20 -167
NZ Warriors 23 19 -145
St George Illawarra 23 15 -157
Gold Coast Titans 23 10 -273

We've had 10 golden point games this year all decided by a field goal.

Last year we had 4 golden point games, one decided by a penalty goal.

The last game decided by a try was in 2017.

This year's Brisbane Warriors game was the first draw since Gold Coast Vs Cronulla in 2016.

I enjoyed that Gold Coast game in 2016 until the last 5 minutes in GP where both sides kept going for field goals not trying anything different.
I get similar results, but I think you missed adjusting the Warriors. They had the draw against Brisbane, but also lost against Penrith. That should put them on 20 points, and in front of Canterbury on F/A.

Looking at movements on the ladder:
  • Souths would move up 1 place to 3rd
  • Canberra move down 1 place to 4th
  • Parra move up 1 place to 5th
  • Manly move down 1 place to 6th
  • Cronulla move up 1 place to 7th
  • Wests move up 1 place to 8th
  • Brisbane move down 2 places to 9th
  • Cowboys move up 1 place to 11th
  • Penrith move down 1 place to 12th
  • Warriors move up 1 place to 13th
  • Bulldogs move down 1 place to 14th
Also, Newcastle would only be 1 point below Brisbane, so would still be in the running for the semis.

Interestingly, only the Bulldogs and Titans haven't had golden point games this year.

JB04

Juniors
Here we go again, decision by media. Golden point was brought in because of media whinging, now they've decided they dont like it and its being reviewed. Here's a novel idea NRL, why not ask fans and players what they think of it and make a decision based on the two most important stakeholders!
I’d be careful with that. The average fan is a moron and the average player wears their IQ on their jersey

Nothing wrong with a draw. It’s so simple yet only the NRL could stuff this up

Regular season match - draw after 80 mins
Finals - 10 minutes overtime

T.S Quint

Coach
Here we go again, decision by media. Golden point was brought in because of media whinging, now they've decided they dont like it and its being reviewed. Here's a novel idea NRL, why not ask fans and players what they think of it and make a decision based on the two most important stakeholders!

Golden Point wasn’t introduced to NRL games because of media whinging. It was introduced because they didn’t want another drawn State of Origin series. But as the NRL does time and time again they went overboard and didn’t just introduce golden point for Origin games like they should have, but they decided to have it for every single f**king game played now, even Grand Finals.

People were fine with draws during the regular season. Nobody was whinging about them. People were fine with 10 minutes extra time in Finals games (with GP following after that). There was no reason to have it for every game.

siv

First Grade
Golden Point wasn’t introduced to NRL games because of media whinging. It was introduced because they didn’t want another drawn State of Origin series. But as the NRL does time and time again they went overboard and didn’t just introduce golden point for Origin games like they should have, but they decided to have it for every single f**king game played now, even Grand Finals.

People were fine with draws during the regular season. Nobody was whinging about them. People were fine with 10 minutes extra time in Finals games (with GP following after that). There was no reason to have it for every game.

Even SOO is covered if still drawn after extra time because prior series winner retains the trophy if series is drawn

T.S Quint

Coach
Even SOO is covered if still drawn after extra time because prior series winner retains the trophy if series is drawn

I understand that, but I do see why people would want an actual winner out of a three game series. Not that I had much problem with the draw. If you want the trophy you have to win it to take it off us.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Golden point is good,neither team were good enough to win in regular time so they have to face the embarrassment of 60 missed field goals in front of the worldwide audience as punishment

SBD82

Coach
Stoked that they’re reviewing it. Should have left draws in regular season.

Zero confidence that the review will result in a reasonable outcome. It will probably resemble topball.

Latest posts