What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
That article is not worded too well, it indicates we are only paying $300K for him.

Doesn't sound right, decent deal if it is.

Noise

Coach
That article is not worded too well, it indicates we are only paying $300K for him.

Doesn't sound right, decent deal if it is.

Huh? Its pretty clear. Says we are willing to pay almost 600k:

Parramatta are willing to pay just shy of $600,000 a year for his services, however the Panthers need to determine if they want to cover close to $300,000 in the difference of his current deal.

Incorrect

Coach
Are they going to pay $300K total, or $300K for the next five years? Because the second one seems unlikely.
This has been my concern about this whole scenario. We can all say it'd be great if the Panthers chip in half his salary for next year... But beyond that, I don't want us to be matching the ridiculous yearly salary the Panthers locked him in for for the 5 years of his deal. RCG would is potentially great value for 2020 if we're paying 500K. But after that, if we're paying his full salary and it's 600-800K per year for the remainder of his deal then I'm out....

Whilst it seems unlikely it isnt beyond the realms of possibility that they would pay $300k each year for 5 years. Giving themselves $600k per yr to use elsewhere.

It is less probable that we would sign him to a 5 year deal though so who do they pay if he leaves us?
I can't see why he'd leave for a shorter contract. So I'd imagine that if they really will chip in that much every year then we probably have to sign him for five years if we want him.

Incorrect

Coach
I can't see why he'd leave for a shorter contract. So I'd imagine that if they really will chip in that much every year then we probably have to sign him for five years if we want him.
That's my take too... And it's bad business to sign a bloke like RCG for 4 or 5 years... He's no Taumololo who's demanding to be locked away from other clubs trying to sign him...

emjaycee

Coach
Wow, if we were to sign him for 5 years he would all alone for 2023 on the Squad Succession thread.
Seriously though, a 5 year contract flies in the face of the work O'Neil and the Recruitment Committee have been doing of late. Then again, Waqa was signed for 4+ years in order to secure him.

Maybe the club sees 2020/21 as our prime premiership windows and are focused on closing the deficiencies they see in the current squad. Big, big call though if that's how it works out.

strider

Post Whore
This has been my concern about this whole scenario. We can all say it'd be great if the Panthers chip in half his salary for next year... But beyond that, I don't want us to be matching the ridiculous yearly salary the Panthers locked him in for for the 5 years of his deal. RCG would is potentially great value for 2020 if we're paying 500K. But after that, if we're paying his full salary and it's 600-800K per year for the remainder of his deal then I'm out....
Its ok - his salary is dropping by 100k each media report ... in a few weeks time he will be paying us to play for the eels

emjaycee

Coach
What if his full salary was $900k per year and Penrith had to pay $300k every year? Would you be in or out then?

IFR33K

Coach
Wow, if we were to sign him for 5 years he would all alone for 2023 on the Squad Succession thread.
Seriously though, a 5 year contract flies in the face of the work O'Neil and the Recruitment Committee have been doing of late. Then again, Waqa was signed for 4+ years in order to secure him.

Maybe the club sees 2020/21 as our prime premiership windows and are focused on closing the deficiencies they see in the current squad. Big, big call though if that's how it works out.

Did waqa have a four year deal at the panthers?

Happy MEel

First Grade
What if his full salary was $900k per year and Penrith had to pay $300k every year? Would you be in or out then?
If that is true I can see why the Panthers gave Gould the tap on the shoulder. That’s absurd money and contract length for a middle like RCG...even at his prime.

And you can bet Pou would drag his arse on updating the thread. Worse than Gary sometimes.
But yeah, even if shorter and lower contracts is our new thing, exceptions will still be made. Waqa is a good example. I imagine his contract with us is the same length as it was at the Panthers.

Happy MEel

First Grade
RCG aside, we haven't heard any news/rumours about a replacement for Ma'u - anybody got any thoughts on who we should be talking to?
Have you got any idea on who we ARE talking to? I’m guessing one of the 2 names you’ve been given is an edge forward?

I’ll throw Frizell and Graham out there.

Hell, let’s throw SBW into the mix. I think he’s off contract.

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
Not for 5 years... 2-3 years? Yep, I'd take the punt. Mind you that's all on the proviso that a middle forward like Arrow is definitely off the market....

Which I guess summarises things in reality. Again - I would steer clear of signing any player for 5 years. There are exceptions but RCG is not that sort of exceptional player...

Stagger eel

Staff member
There’s a ready made replacement at Cronulla named Capewell that we should be rolling the red carpet for but I doubt he’s even being looked at.