What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
I can't see why he'd leave for a shorter contract. So I'd imagine that if they really will chip in that much every year then we probably have to sign him for five years if we want him.
I can see why he would leave for a shorter contract, but I doubt he’d leave if he wasn’t getting his money.

I can see why he would leave for a shorter contract, but I doubt he’d leave if he wasn’t getting his money.
Yeah it's the money but I can't recall even one player leaving for a shorter contract. Presumably because trying to add the extra money to a shorter contract will almost certainly put your cap in trouble.

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah it's the money but I can't recall even one player leaving for a shorter contract. Presumably because trying to add the extra money to a shorter contract will almost certainly put your cap in trouble.
Let’s say he had 5 year $4.5m.
We agree with Penrith to take on $2.8m
We agree with RCG to pay him it over 4 years instead
Penrith are still on the hook for $1.7m and RCG would probably hold them to paying it within original terms. Or maybe they’d be willing to forgo a large amount in first year, say $700k to make him more amicable to spreading the rest over longer.

IFR33K

Coach
RCG aside, we haven't heard any news/rumours about a replacement for Ma'u - anybody got any thoughts on who we should be talking to?

I say we are promoting within. Can we afford anyone else? We’ve upgraded gutho and maybe Moses gets a payrise, and added waqa to the squad. If we extend sivo and Drown, then I guess we’re upgrading them for next year too.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Chris Lawrence. Kent reckons 140k would secure him. Add Prior and you get 2 cheapies that provide experience and leadership. Decent replacements for Tim and Teps for 2 years who wouldnt stop us chasing higher profile players as well. Both bargains id reckon.

Let’s say he had 5 year $4.5m.
We agree with Penrith to take on $2.8m
We agree with RCG to pay him it over 4 years instead
Penrith are still on the hook for $1.7m and RCG would probably hold them to paying it within original terms. Or maybe they’d be willing to forgo a large amount in first year, say $700k to make him more amicable to spreading the rest over longer.
It's possible. There aren't a lot of five year contracts and obviously the longer a contract, the easier it is to shorten it by a year. They must have gone mad out there.