What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manchester Lions

roughyedspud

Coach
I don’t see why a semi-professional club like the Manchester lions can’t play out of the etihad Campus when a amateur side like Manchester Rangers did it for so many years.

Manchester rangers didn't play at the mini Etihad at Etihad campus...they played over the road at the Manchester regional athletics stadium
aerial-view-of-the-etihad-stadium-manchester-regional-arena-national-f4cfyx.jpg

The RFL are moving to the Etihad campus,maybe they can help Swinton negotiate favourable terms to play at the mini Etihad?

The Daddy3

Juniors
Manchester rangers didn't play at the mini Etihad at Etihad campus...they played over the road at the Manchester regional athletics stadium

The RFL are moving to the Etihad campus,maybe they can help Swinton negotiate favourable terms to play at the mini Etihad?

According to their statement they are happy at Sale and will be targeting South Manchester as a support base.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Do Man City own the athletics stadium?

Either way both stadiums are a 1000 times better than Heywood Road.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Looks like the rebranding might be off.

https://swintonlionsrlfc.co.uk/news/board-statement/

Reading that, I simply don't know where to start........I've come to the conclusion that certain 'rugby league fans' want to keep the sport small time. Congratulations to them.
F@ck them.

Let the club die and hopefully be replaced by another progressive club. The RFL must be kicking themselves denying Manchester Rangers a franchise.

The Daddy3

Juniors
F@ck them.

Let the club die and hopefully be replaced by another progressive club. The RFL must be kicking themselves denying Manchester Rangers a franchise.

The blame lies squarely at the feet of the RFL again. They should've rolled out the red carpet for Manchester Rangers but instead made impossible demands. The sport is in a shambles in the uk

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The blame lies squarely at the feet of the RFL again. They should've rolled out the red carpet for Manchester Rangers but instead made impossible demands. The sport is in a shambles in the uk
Exactly. You had people willing to invest money into a legit Manchester based franchise albeit semi-professional playing on a world class campus and what do the RFL do??? Run them off.

The RFL are a bunch of absolute f@ckwits.

Looks like the rebranding might be off.

https://swintonlionsrlfc.co.uk/news/board-statement/

Reading that, I simply don't know where to start........I've come to the conclusion that certain 'rugby league fans' want to keep the sport small time. Congratulations to them.
Where will the money come from to run the club now as the chairman has quit and it was his money keeping the club alive?
I hope that those fans who objected to the name change are prepared to back Swinton with their own money, as if they don't the club will fold.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Where will the money come from to run the club now as the chairman has quit and it was his money keeping the club alive?
I hope that those fans who objected to the name change are prepared to back Swinton with their own money, as if they don't the club will fold.
Apparently settling up a supporters trust.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
thumbnail_Picture-1.png

Swinton Lions have submitted plans with the RFL to rebrand as Manchester Lions for the 2020 season.

In a statement issued by the club, officials claim the club will keep its Swinton identity, but will change it’s playing trading name subject to approval.

The Lions have been considering the move for sometime, with Andy Mazey outlining the club’s viewpoint earlier this week.

The latest statement read: “As well as a moral responsibility to the long-standing heritage of the Club and its supporters. It is clear that with the highly probable central funding decreases post-2021, a stagnant home fan attendance, and a consistent failure to meet the RFL key funding objectives, that it is imperative that the Board act now to give the Lions not only the best chance of survival, but also to grow and be a force in the game.

“The Board firmly believe that there is a significant opportunity to broaden the appeal of Swinton by becoming THE rugby league club of Manchester. However, in doing so we have set out to respect the Swinton name, our colours and our heritage, whilst creating a future facing, financially viable and hungry rugby league club – a Manchester club that appeals to a broader fan base and one that we can all be proud of.”

It continued: “Indeed the Swinton Lions will very much live on via the following:-

The Club’s legal entity will remain SWINTON LIONS RLFC LIMITED
• The RFL official registration remains unchanged under the title Swinton Lions
• Our financial instruments remain unchanged
• We will retain our colours and sensitively align our badge with our heritage
• We will still be THE LIONS
• We will retain our history
• We will retain the same players, staff and Directors

“The club therefore remains the same in all aspects, other than the adaptation of a new playing brand name, very much along the lines of the Eastern Suburbs RLFC example in Australia, who retain their original legal and historic identity, but play under the branded name Sydney Roosters”

https://www.totalrl.com/swinton-confirm-manchester-rebrand-application/

F*ck me, i am so jealous of some of the RFLs club logos!!!

Imagine if the Titans/Rooster/Sea Eagles gave this much care to their logo instead of jumping on the f*cking cartoon gimmick

roughyedspud

Coach
Do Man City own the athletics stadium?

Either way both stadiums are a 1000 times better than Heywood Road.
Not that it matters now cos of dickhead supporters...

But no I don't think city do own the athletics stadium..either the council still own it or it's maybe joint venture with the council,UK athletics and UKsport..who also run the English institute of sport next door to the track..