What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 4th Test Australia v England, Old Trafford Sept 4-9

JJ

Immortal
Hilarious that apparently Archer isn't allowed an ordinary performance...

Pete Cash

Post Whore
lol

This is the worst English Test side that I have seen in at least 20 years.

But you're right on Smith. We're witnessing genuine sporting genius when he bats.

The bowling is pretty reasonable. Poor decision to drop Woakes imo.

But that's englands biggest problem in the field innit. Roots captaincy and the team tactics. Like a lot of modern captains he doesn't seem to have a great feel for the game like say Michael Clarke. So he lets the tactics go to long. Bowl short at Smith for hours is just dumb. Sure bowl short at him occasionally and test him out but they wasted the new ball bowling bouncers. Root and Archer actually got into what looked like an argument over the bowl short tactic. Archer did not want to do it lol

As Smith said if the go to tactic is short they cant bowl him or get him out lbw so it allows him to just wait out the bowler. When England pitched it up they looked good i thought. It reminded me when they put a ton of guys on the leg side and just bounced him for hours at the gabba and he just happily ducked and scored a run every so often. He scored the 4th (at the time 3rd) slowest Australian century this decade in response to those tactics. He is happy to go slow.

He then went and scored the slowest Australian century this decade at the mcg a few tests later

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Hilarious that apparently Archer isn't allowed an ordinary performance...

I think we know all bowlers have a bad game but you would think it was prime Michael holding running in based on how hyped up the battle with Smith was.

Not all Archers fault, 99 percent the press but he was talking up rattling Smith

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't get the Archer hate whatsoever.

He's talented as, and basically got the swagger of some of the great Windies cricketers and he gets panned for it. Is it just cos he's elected to play for England after his own basket case nation managed him about as well as Mick Hagan managed choosing between Trent Hodkinson, James Maloney and Kris Keating?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
69622898_10161943864550478_1077795817860890624_n.jpg

Probably already mentioned, but they were saying last night that Smith is now the leading Test run scorer for 2019. And he gave everyone 7 months start.

In the end he got himself out too. Poms never looked likely.

Total 589 runs in 4 innings.
Average 147.25

Those are phenomenal numbers. Keep booing.

We just need to be ruthless merkins today and tear these Poms apart.

JW

Coach
So the great unwashed continue to boo His Holiness.

I know it must be hugely depressing to live one's life as a Pom, but is it really that dire?

Just remember lads, you are literally disrespecting God to his face. Hell awaits...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Joffwey 0-98, lol, talk about a 1 hit wonder

that shot from Wade, seriously ? he is not a test cricketer

did they show a replay of Head's LBW ? I reckon that was a pretty bad call for mine especially from around the wicket

and what else can you say about the Smudge, was good to see the poms applaud him when he got out, that was the best way to shut them up

Head's LBW was umpires call but almost close to smashing leg anyway. More of an issue on Harris' being given first morning hitting above the knee roll, again not a howler but that to me isn't a great decision.