What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

hazzbeen

Bench
"Embattled coach Paul McGregor has been under fire from sections of the Dragons’ fan base after a woeful season which will be the Red V’s worst in the history of the joint venture. But McGregor is poised to retain his job at the start of next season."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/go...review-of-dismal-dragons-20190906-p52olj.html

__________________________________________________________________________________

Double turd .................. this lame duck club management keeps getting it wrong!
Sack the idiot and get someome better, it can't be that hard.
Is McGregor, Gordons lovechild or something .......... cut the bloody cord for Christ sake!
He will be coaching again next year , don't forget one thing He Is A Good Bloke .....

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
At the moment that looks like best case scenario.

More likely the review is written, Gould adds a couple of footnotes, and the board gets to rubber stamp their shitty decision making by using the “external expert” excuse.

SBD82, the problem with a board that looks at the reccommendations from a third party is ...........

They only look to implement 'some', not all of what has been reccommended.
They don't normally like being told what to do so they only look to implement 'some', not all of what has been reccommended. They like to add, their touch so to speak. That will mean, keeping the McIdiot.

If they keep their heads in the sand, when they finally pull them out, there won't be many fans left to see.
That is the real problem. They would seem to be prepared to take that risk, by the sounds of it.
Hope l'm wrong.

mickeylane

Bench
Hi Mate...can I ask...why would you have Mary over Flanagan? Really interested to hear your point of view.
Stepping in here I think the only coach that would take Gould’s whole hearted opinions at this stage would be McGregor who is on his last legs but also not a fool. He knows he can ride off Goulds coat tails for another 2 years and be safe as all
Responsibility of football
Operations would be w Gould (assuming he accepts a position) - plus Port Kembla racing is close by and Gould loves going there by helicopter - no need he can just drive there now.

mickeylane

Bench
I know I’m in the extreme minority but I’d take Mary again for a season if we could get Gould, so long as Gould has the ultimate say in things. I’d rather that than twice suspended Flanagan with all the same board.
In a sick way I’m with you as I really think that Gould will take the bit between his teeth and coach the team from afar.. he would b unable to have that much influence if another coach was there (see Griffin, Cleary cases) where McGregor is a clueless dope

SBD82

Coach
SBD82, the problem with a board that looks at the reccommendations from a third party is ...........

They only look to implement 'some', not all of what has been reccommended.
They don't normally like being told what to do so they only look to implement 'some', not all of what has been reccommended. They like to add, their touch so to speak. That will mean, keeping the McIdiot.

If they keep their heads in the sand, when they finally pull them out, there won't be many fans left to see.
That is the real problem. They would seem to be prepared to take that risk, by the sounds of it.
Hope l'm wrong.
Yep. It’s the difference between a review that’s completed to ensure innovation and best practice into the future, and an arse covering exercise.

If there was a betting agency offering odds on the latter, I’d put the farm on it.

mickeylane

Bench
He left the panthers mid season.
He was sacked but only after building the Southern Hemisphere best training complex, negotiating a $10m loan from James Packer to save the Panthers arse, finished top 4 three times and attracted some of the best players including negotiating Bennett to coach the Panthers this year only to be scuppered by a dumb board who are now kicking themselves!! Sign him yesterday please!

Crush

Coach
Yea mate that's the way this piss weak mob are heading , very poor....
They really are f**cked.
They'll employ Gus to do some consulting for them which they believe will appease the fans and they won't have to pay out Mary.
Then after 8 weeks next season they'll have to pay out Mary, employ a new coach AND they'll have Gus on the books too!
Its a circus.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Stepping in here I think the only coach that would take Gould’s whole hearted opinions at this stage would be McGregor who is on his last legs but also not a fool. He knows he can ride off Goulds coat tails for another 2 years and be safe as all
Responsibility of football
Operations would be w Gould (assuming he accepts a position) - plus Port Kembla racing is close by and Gould loves going there by helicopter - no need he can just drive there now.
he's not a fool? hmmm...he sounds like a fool to me in every press conference and interview I've ever listened to. Also, the way the team has been performing the past 6 years leads me to believe that a fool is in charge.

possm

Coach
Yep. It’s the difference between a review that’s completed to ensure innovation and best practice into the future, and an arse covering exercise.

If there was a betting agency offering odds on the latter, I’d put the farm on it.
Gould as head of football at SGI makes the hiring of JD or Fitz a much better option. Gould of course with the last say can guide either of these young coaches to a smoother introduction to the NRL coaching arena.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Hi Mate...can I ask...why would you have Mary over Flanagan? Really interested to hear your point of view.
A few reasons that a lot of people won’t agree with me on but will attempt to explain it, all with the understanding that I do realise he is a premiership winning coach.
1. When he won the premiership it was conveniently in between two years they got done for salary cap cheating, Dragons won’t get away with that.
2. The peptide saga is a huge turnoff to me.
3.Cronulla had a much stronger squad than us when they won the GF (rorting?) We need a rebuild.
4. My caveat for keeping Mary is that Gould overseas everything, I believe his input and advice would make a big difference.
5. Gould turned Penrith around, not on the park but indisputably off it, he could really strengthen our club and junior clubs.
6. If Flanno signs he will want 3 years, if he turns out to be a sideways trade it will be another 3 years of pain, if Mary fails he will undoubtedly be gone in one year or less, but we will still have Gould and could probably attract a top line coach. Remember he nearly got Bennett to the Panthers.

So in summary it’s not necessarily that I think Mary is a better coach but that I want Gould. I would prefer one more year with one man Mary, with a great chance to shake up the underlying issues which have dogged the club far longer than Mary has been coach than replace the “face” of the problems. Just like every coach the Dragons have had bar Bennett, the signs will be out sooner rather than later. Down with Brown, ice Price, Oust Doust, Fail Mary.
We have had problems from the top for a long time. I’m willing to have a year of pain knowing we are building and unless a Bellamy becomes available they are mostly sideways trades.

SBD82

Coach
He was sacked but only after building the Southern Hemisphere best training complex, negotiating a $10m loan from James Packer to save the Panthers arse, finished top 4 three times and attracted some of the best players including negotiating Bennett to coach the Panthers this year only to be scuppered by a dumb board who are now kicking themselves!! Sign him yesterday please!
He also wasn’t sacked. They were lining up to push him, so he jumped.

I know it’s a minor difference, but it’s a difference nonetheless.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
BJ headed the committee to find a CEO and then he himself got the CEO job.

Maybe we can have Gould do the review, and then see Gould as head of football at SGI.
That would be the ultimate for me, Gould grew up as a saints supporter and has fond memory’s of it, he won’t lose that heritage I can guarantee.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
A few reasons that a lot of people won’t agree with me on but will attempt to explain it, all with the understanding that I do realise he is a premiership winning coach.
1. When he won the premiership it was conveniently in between two years they got done for salary cap cheating, Dragons won’t get away with that.
3.Cronulla had a much stronger squad than us when they won the GF (rorting?) We need a rebuild.
4. My caveat for keeping Mary is that Gould overseas everything, I believe his input and advice would make a big difference.
5. Gould turned Penrith around, not on the park but indisputably off it, he could really strengthen our club and junior clubs.
6. If Flanno signs he will want 3 years, if he turns out to be a sideways trade it will be another 3 years of pain, if Mary fails he will undoubtedly be gone in one year or less, but we will still have Gould and could probably attract a top line coach. Remember he nearly got Bennett to the Panthers.

So in summary it’s not necessarily that I think Mary is a better coach but that I want Gould. I would prefer one more year with one man Mary, with a great chance to shake up the underlying issues which have dogged the club far longer than Mary has been coach than replace the “face” of the problems. Just like every coach the Dragons have had bar Bennett, the signs will be out sooner rather than later. Down with Brown, ice Price, Oust Doust, Fail Mary.
We have had problems from the top for a long time. I’m willing to have a year of pain knowing we are building and unless a Bellamy becomes available they are mostly sideways trades.
great summary mate

SBD82

Coach

I don’t agree with you, but your points are valid and I think sticking your head above the parapet with us all ready to lynch Mary is gutsy.

If he were appointed, I don’t see the board giving Gould the freedom to implement the necessary structural change that you’re talking about. Too many fingers in the pie.

SBD82

Coach
Gould as head of football at SGI makes the hiring of JD or Fitz a much better option. Gould of course with the last say can guide either of these young coaches to a smoother introduction to the NRL coaching arena.
As I said above, that’s assumig that the bird give him decision making power.

I’d have thought that you of all people would recognise that to be highly unlikely.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree but why does BJ need Gould to sack McGregor ? If he was going he doesn't need Gould to do that ....

God point and of course there is only one answer as you have said - he doesn’t .

I was hoping more along the lines that B.G. may had finally stuck his nose in and demanded change and clean the place out and who else but Gould to do just that . But of course that now seems to be wishful thinking on my part .

Many of us over the last few months had mentioned the ‘human football ‘ as just the person to do a good job at the Dragons , but he must have the clout to make any real impression , something that I am afraid that the powers to be simply won’t give him , in which case the status quo remains .

Latest posts