What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

getsmarty

Immortal
Phil Gould in talks with struggling St George Illawarra Dragons after horror 2019 season under Paul McGregor

Written By Sporting News
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
Getty Images

After an embarrassing 2019 season, the St George Illawarra Dragons have turned to legendary coach Phil 'Gus' Gould to potentially save the club as the pressure mounts on coach Paul McGregor.

As first reported by WWOS' The Mole, Gould left the Penrith Panthers earlier this season but is still contracted to the club until next month - but will head up the Dragons internal review after this weekend's clash with the Gold Coast Titans.

Gus had been in secret talks with Saints' CEO Brian Johnston and McGregor after a diabolical season and the inclusion of him in the review is to potentially 'test the waters' for a permanent role.

The club confirmed the news about Gould in a statement on their website on Friday from Johnston.

"Nobody at the club is happy with how the Dragons have performed and that's extended to all our stakeholders including members and supporters," Johnston said.

"We are committed to reviewing all aspects of our football department to ensure improvement in 2020."

The 61-year old has already discussed with the club about becoming the General Manager of Football - the same role he held at Penrith.

But according to Brent Read, Mary is safe for now - unless the Dragons lose to the Titans in Round 25.

Red V fans have been desperate for change at the club in recent months (and years) and McGregor should be in serious jeopardy of losing his job - but that appears unlikely.

In six years at the helm, Mary has led the Dragons to the finals just twice with their highest finish being 7th, and in 2019 has been at the forefront of the highly-touted side now about to finish in 15th place.

Att Paul McGregor, #redv fans have lost all faith in you. We will walk away & membership will drop in numbers as long as you are coach. Do the honorable thing and walk away. #Time4Change #StepDownMcGregor #FailMary #MaryOut #Redv #JohnstonOut

— George Y (@rvpredv) September 4, 2019

hey @LaraPitt_ #Dragons need to pay out #FailMary NOW #stgeorge & #wintv have plenty $$ go get a real coach & start planning for 2020 & beyond. The current imposter #FailMary has done enough damage to this great brand it’s literally on life support. #REDV

— agrothedragon :dragon: (@agrothedragon1) September 4, 2019
If is my firm belief that Brian Johnstone’s legacy at St George will be forever tarnished by his inaction on & approval of McGregor continuing as Dragons coach into 2020. He is Chairman & said in a recent interview, he has the say in who coaches the club moving forward #shameonu

— Benny (@saintbenny63) September 2, 2019
Gus is one of the smartest men in rugby league - and could be exactly what the Dragons need to return to their former glory.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...agons-paul-mcgregor/rp0speuxx60m1oihigz44wsmv

Dea

Juniors
McGregor needs to go.
Gould is doing a review but not making recommendations about the coach seems dumb. He is also a friend and supporter of McGregor having coached him years ago. So,sadly, I don’t expect a review report of head coach responsible for season failure, again.
I’ve never wanted my team to lose but the stench of McGregor is so strong, I’m hopeful of a Titans victory o force the issue of his sacking.

Phil Gould in talks with struggling St George Illawarra Dragons after horror 2019 season under Paul McGregor

Written By Sporting News
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
Getty Images

After an embarrassing 2019 season, the St George Illawarra Dragons have turned to legendary coach Phil 'Gus' Gould to potentially save the club as the pressure mounts on coach Paul McGregor.

As first reported by WWOS' The Mole, Gould left the Penrith Panthers earlier this season but is still contracted to the club until next month - but will head up the Dragons internal review after this weekend's clash with the Gold Coast Titans.

Gus had been in secret talks with Saints' CEO Brian Johnston and McGregor after a diabolical season and the inclusion of him in the review is to potentially 'test the waters' for a permanent role.

The club confirmed the news about Gould in a statement on their website on Friday from Johnston.

"Nobody at the club is happy with how the Dragons have performed and that's extended to all our stakeholders including members and supporters," Johnston said.

"We are committed to reviewing all aspects of our football department to ensure improvement in 2020."

The 61-year old has already discussed with the club about becoming the General Manager of Football - the same role he held at Penrith.

But according to Brent Read, Mary is safe for now - unless the Dragons lose to the Titans in Round 25.

Red V fans have been desperate for change at the club in recent months (and years) and McGregor should be in serious jeopardy of losing his job - but that appears unlikely.

In six years at the helm, Mary has led the Dragons to the finals just twice with their highest finish being 7th, and in 2019 has been at the forefront of the highly-touted side now about to finish in 15th place.

Att Paul McGregor, #redv fans have lost all faith in you. We will walk away & membership will drop in numbers as long as you are coach. Do the honorable thing and walk away. #Time4Change #StepDownMcGregor #FailMary #MaryOut #Redv #JohnstonOut

— George Y (@rvpredv) September 4, 2019

hey @LaraPitt_ #Dragons need to pay out #FailMary NOW #stgeorge & #wintv have plenty $$ go get a real coach & start planning for 2020 & beyond. The current imposter #FailMary has done enough damage to this great brand it’s literally on life support. #REDV

— agrothedragon :dragon: (@agrothedragon1) September 4, 2019
If is my firm belief that Brian Johnstone’s legacy at St George will be forever tarnished by his inaction on & approval of McGregor continuing as Dragons coach into 2020. He is Chairman & said in a recent interview, he has the say in who coaches the club moving forward #shameonu

— Benny (@saintbenny63) September 2, 2019
Gus is one of the smartest men in rugby league - and could be exactly what the Dragons need to return to their former glory.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...agons-paul-mcgregor/rp0speuxx60m1oihigz44wsmv
Can anyone explain to me why Mary going or staying would depend on the Titans game result?
It's like heads or tails.
Wins he stays.
Loses he goes.
What relevance has this particular game against the wooden spooners, compared to 5 years of mediocrity and coaching incompetence?
Should have no bearing on McGregor being shown the door.
The club is clutching at straws.
Johnston...you are cutting your own throat supporting this fellow.

RED73V

Juniors
Stepping in here I think the only coach that would take Gould’s whole hearted opinions at this stage would be McGregor who is on his last legs but also not a fool. He knows he can ride off Goulds coat tails for another 2 years and be safe as all
Responsibility of football
Operations would be w Gould (assuming he accepts a position) - plus Port Kembla racing is close by and Gould loves going there by helicopter - no need he can just drive there now.
Mickeylane are you for real that you think that McGregor is no fool ?? Where do I start .... team selections Lafai, Aitken $ Latimore getting picked week in week out. All our good juniors leaving cause there is NO PATHWAY. Robson or as McMudguard says Robinson ,Garrick, Herbert, Masters just to name a few have/are leaving. Bench rotation is the worst in the comp & you think McGregor is no fool .... shame on you !!!

j0nesy

Bench
As I thought, Gould has already made his mind up on Mary, he is “not feeling any signs of McGregor not being supported going forward”. Then what’s the point in conducting a review? Probably to get the support of a respected rugby league identity on the side of the coach and the board.

Coffs dragon

Bench
It's not a REVIEW, it's a a complete cover up to save face & money for the idiots whom extended the Peanuts contract.
Gus Gould will be involved in selective aspects......which translates to the Head Coach is untouchable & will remain.
Sure there will be some cosmetic changes like Hornby, Crawley and some low performance & physio staff will be shown the door.
You can guarantee that McGregor, Millward & Dean Young will escape with some miraculous bullshit excuse.
Inevitably the club will get what it deserves from the fans as they will not tolerate being taken for fools.

HenryTatana

Juniors
Mate, there's nothing positive about it. A review with a predetermined outcome is nothing less than a hatchet job. Happens all the time in politics. And our board know how to play that game. You can bet your house that Andrew Gordon fully supports this 'review'.

Straight Shooter
Sounds like an episode of Utopia.

BBTB

Juniors
It's not a REVIEW, it's a a complete cover up to save face & money for the idiots whom extended the Peanuts contract.
Gus Gould will be involved in selective aspects......which translates to the Head Coach is untouchable & will remain.
Sure there will be some cosmetic changes like Hornby, Crawley and some low performance & physio staff will be shown the door.
You can guarantee that McGregor, Millward & Dean Young will escape with some miraculous bullshit excuse.
Inevitably the club will get what it deserves from the fans as they will not tolerate being taken for fools.
This f**kn mob of idiots, must go.
Total clean out...
Top management...
Total coaching staff.
We are all SICK, of this garbage, being dished out week after week.
No membership from me.
No merchandise purchased from me.
We want a total clean out of these parasites
Sucking the lifeblood out of our Club.

hazzbeen

Bench
This f**kn mob of idiots, must go.
Total clean out...
Top management...
Total coaching staff.
We are all SICK, of this garbage, being dished out week after week.
No membership from me.
No merchandise purchased from me.
We want a total clean out of these parasites
Sucking the lifeblood out of our Club.
Bottom line its got to the point I can't think of anything else but , these blokes are all Ro*ting each other .....

Dragsters

First Grade
Gould...

"Paul McGregor IS the head coach moving forward."

Looks like the best case scenario is that Gould gets some kind of permanent role at the club that allows him to "mentor" McGregor on how to actually, effectively coach an NRL team...

Bottom line its got to the point I can't think of anything else but , these blokes are all Ro*ting each other .....
The lower grades are doing quite well, it is the structure around the premier team (IF YOU COULD CALL THEM THAT) that is failing, it is broken and has to be rebuilt from the ground up, there has to be a foundation. Most other first grade sides have been in the pits at some stage and have rebuilt successfully, its not going to be easy. Any input Gould has and its outcome is a wait and see proposition. From what I have seen on the NRL site is that the support crew to Mary may be in danger.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
"It already seems decided, though, that assistant coaches Ben Hornby and Mathew Head will be sacked while Dean Young is tipped to survive. He’s considered a head coach of the future, but he’s not yet ready."

Can anyone explain to me what Dean Young has done to be considered a head coach of the future? I mean apart from having his Dad on the Board.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Gould...

"Paul McGregor IS the head coach moving forward."

If that is the case, we are only moving sideways & not forward.....a complete scam of PR spin! Doust must be lending advice from behind the scenes in how to survive against all odds!

Walpole

Juniors
"It already seems decided, though, that assistant coaches Ben Hornby and Mathew Head will be sacked while Dean Young is tipped to survive. He’s considered a head coach of the future, but he’s not yet ready."

Can anyone explain to me what Dean Young has done to be considered a head coach of the future? I mean apart from having his Dad on the Board.
No, no. That's it.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Here's how the DT interpreted things:

Phil Gould says he is not reviewing Paul McGregor coaching future ahead of his interviews with St George Illawarra staff and players next week after Gould agreed to asses the Dragons football operations in the wake of the club’s horrific season.

The two time premiership winning coach has been in secret negotiations for weeks with Dragons boss Brian Johnston and head coach Paul McGregor to help the embattled club. Gould said he was approached by McGregor a couple of weeks ago to conduct an external review.

“This is not a review of the head coach,” Gould said. “There has been absolutely no indication whatsoever that there will be a change in the head coach.

“The Dragons are simply looking to review this season, to give direction to their future planning and ensuring they are providing all resources possible, to assist the coaches and players to perform to the best of their ability.

“I spoke with Brian Johnston this week about the type of review.”

There are also moves for Gould to have an ongoing role with the club beyond the review. The plan involves Gould becoming a coaching consultant to McGregor and help mentor the St George Illawarra coach and his assistants. It is not expected he will be involved with the day to day coaching of the NRL side, instead he will act as a sounding board to the under-siege McGregor.

“The end of year review process, conducted by every NRL club every year, represents part of the process of future planning,” Gould said. “I’m happy to lend a hand. It’s not a paid job. Every year, even during my time at Panthers, I get NRL coaches, assistant coaches, chairmen, CEOs and even players requesting to catch up and have a cup of coffee to talk about life, their football clubs and their careers. “I’ve always been more than happy to help if I can. I’m looking forward to speaking with the Dragons club next week.”

Gould undertook a similar review for the Cowboys at the end of 2010.

Gould said he will meet with McGregor and Johnston on Tuesday before speaking with the rest of the playing group and staff late next week.

The review is expected to be ongoing during the finals series and concluded by the grand final.

McGregor’s position is not in question but the outcomes of Gould’s review will lead to changes across the organisation. The Dragons won’t finalise the rest of their support staff until Gould has concluded his review. But 2010 premiership winning captain Ben Hornby will exit as assistant coach. Fellow assistant Dean Young has been offered a deal to remain at the club.

St George Illawarra’s horrendous year has sparked the dramatic shake-up. Their second to last finish is their worst result in the joint-venture’s history.

“Nobody at the club is happy with how the Dragons have performed and that’s extended to all our stakeholders including members and supporters,” Johnston said in a statement.

A poor start to next season will see McGregor shown the door immediately. McGregor said “no one in the football department is enthusiastic with the outcome this year” ahead of their bottom of the table clash against Gold Coast today.

Gould grew up a passionate Dragons fan but has never held an official role with the club. He stepped down from his role as Panthers general manager of football earlier this year.

Latest posts