What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Pazza

First Grade
2qqmkPzl.png

Very entertaining

Chipmunk

Coach
Drown has gone alot better this season than I think I expected, but having said that at present time there doesn't seem to be alot to his game. But, he is 18 and expected to significantly improve. He could be great or he may just not kick on...I think the jury is going to be out on him for sometime. He'll need a quality halves coach on board to get him to the next level.

emjaycee

Coach
Agree that we would have to play perfect footy in successive games to win it.

That’s the only difference between chooks storm and us, they play mistake free footy and spoil efforts well. We can match them with the 1% plays.
Chooks and us have basically made the same amount of errors (mistakes) in our 24 games to date and therefore have effectively the same overall completion rate of 76%. They have conceded 35 more penalties than us (175 v 140) but also missed a lot less tackles than us.

Storm on the other hand are at a different level with an 80% completion rate.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I could be massively overstating it, but there seems like there’s something special about Brown. I loved the way he straightened the attack last night, and his defence continues to be exceptionally impressive, especially for a teenage rookie half.

I don't think you're overstating anything - Dylan Brown will be the game's next star half.

The kid is magic, pure and simple.

I've been a fan of his for a long time.

DaveMc

Juniors
This talk is making me almost get excited for the medium-term. It’s been a very, very long time since I felt this way as a Parra fan. But we really look to have the nucleus of a very strong football team for the next few years. Christ knows if that’ll remain so (last year’s outcome stung deep after the top 4 finish of 2017), but I really, truly hope we’re entering a premiership window from next year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I could be massively overstating it, but there seems like there’s something special about Brown. I loved the way he straightened the attack last night, and his defence continues to be exceptionally impressive, especially for a teenage rookie half.
He's very strong, which takes away one edge for the opposition to target (though at the moment they're still trying). It also means if his passing options get shut down he can run it and still threaten a linebreak or quick play-the-ball.

Moses has a great running game but he needs to get wider with some space. Hopefully as Drown steps up they'll be able to play more as split halves and Moses will get more space to use his running game.

yy_cheng

Coach
This talk is making me almost get excited for the medium-term. It’s been a very, very long time since I felt this way as a Parra fan. But we really look to have the nucleus of a very strong football team for the next few years. Christ knows if that’ll remain so (last year’s outcome stung deep after the top 4 finish of 2017), but I really, truly hope we’re entering a premiership window from next year.
Hope he doesn't get TSS...

Tim Smith syndrome

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Drown has gone alot better this season than I think I expected, but having said that at present time there doesn't seem to be alot to his game.

Did you watch last nights game? Seriously?

Not a lot to his game, really?

Did you see his defence last night, Manly moved a prop to the edge to target him. He made 24 tackles (3rd most)

Did you see his running game? 120 plus metres!!That included 4 TB (Sivo had 5)

Did you see his perfect kick for Sivo’s first try?

Did you see him make the right call, draw a player (rather then run) and pass for Sivo’s 3rd try?

emjaycee

Coach
Did you watch last nights game? Seriously?

Not a lot to his game, really?

Did you see his defence last night, Manly moved a prop to the edge to target him. He made 24 tackles (3rd most)

Did you see his running game? 120 plus metres!!That included 4 TB (Sivo had 5)

Did you see his perfect kick for Sivo’s first try?

Did you see him make the right call, draw a player (rather then run) and pass for Sivo’s 3rd try?
OK, apart from the stuff you listed, what else did he really do?

Gazzamatta

Coach
We sit in GA up behind the posts. Watching Brown do his work from that perspective is a joy to behold. Such a silky mover. Moves like B Kenny, tackles like K Foran, kicks like A Johns yet hes only 19. Once experience kicks in the sky is the limit.
Ive never seen a better defensive half.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Also on Drown’s contract, I watched a few junior GF finals today.

I saw plenty of players that had size, speed, power, could run, could break tackles, could tackle, could offload, could pass, could catch, plenty of players that have the skill set for backs / forwards, plenty of players that could potentially play junior reps (and there were a few that do).

However when looking at the halves playing, you can really see the limitations in their games. Yes they were juniors, yes they played good, but rarely did one take control of the game (in an NRL sort of way). Yeah they could run / tackle / kick, but rarely looked at the game at that moment of play and attack the opponents weaknesses or offered what the side needed (eg kick for a break, etc etc). It’s such a difficult position to play and that’s just at a junior level.

It’s no wonder that any junior half that is half decent gets a large check. It’s so rare to find them.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Also on Drown’s contract, I watched a few junior GF finals today.

I saw plenty of players that had size, speed, power, could run, could break tackles, could tackle, could offload, could pass, could catch, plenty of players that have the skill set for backs / forwards, plenty of players that could potentially play junior reps (and there were a few that do).

However when looking at the halves playing, you can really see the limitations in their games. Yes they were juniors, yes they played good, but rarely did one take control of the game (in an NRL sort of way). Yeah they could run / tackle / kick, but rarely looked at the game at that moment of play and attack the opponents weaknesses or offered what the side needed (eg kick for a break, etc etc). It’s such a difficult position to play and that’s just at a junior level.

It’s no wonder that any junior half that is half decent gets a large check. It’s so rare to find them.
If i were Broncos or Titans or Warriors id be chasing Burton from Penrith. Thats another kid who has silky skills.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought He was a Gun first time I saw Him , He is a Goodin’
Dominating the Holden Cup at 17 years of age was a pretty good sign. And then playing well in reserve grade at 18 was the icing on the cake. I expected he would eventually become a first grader but was surprised when we were trying to move on one of our established halves to make room for him over the off season. I assumed he'd spend another year in NSW Cup and come into the team in 2020 to replace whichever one of Moses and Norman we didn't retain. It happened a year early and he's shown his class.

27EELS

Juniors
Dominating the Holden Cup at 17 years of age was a pretty good sign. And then playing well in reserve grade at 18 was the icing on the cake. I expected he would eventually become a first grader but was surprised when we were trying to move on one of our established halves to make room for him over the off season. I assumed he'd spend another year in NSW Cup and come into the team in 2020 to replace whichever one of Moses and Norman we didn't retain. It happened a year early and he's shown his class.
I think He is the one We have waiting for for a long long time.when I first watched Him play Man I was stoked. He has or is something special I think ...

Latest posts