What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Diesel

Coach
If Redcliffe want to be the second Brisbane team then they should change their name now to Brisbane Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins and start building their brand that way now. Redcliffe has a population of about 8000 people. It is a tiny little suburb.
Moreton Bay population is over 400k and Sunshine Coast is around 300k, both of which would be their catchment area. Throw in Brisbane LGA which is over 1.2m (and doesn’t include Redlands, Logan or Ipswich) and that’s a lot of potential support and sponsorship opportunities

The Great Dane

First Grade
If Redcliffe want to be the second Brisbane team then they should change their name now to Brisbane Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins and start building their brand that way now. Redcliffe has a population of about 8000 people. It is a tiny little suburb.

Re-branding them as the "Brisbane Dolphins" won't make an ounce of difference, people will see right through that for what it is, Redcliffe trying to pose as a club that represents all of Brisbane, and as such they will refuse to follow them because they associate the brand with Redcliffe and they don't like Redcliffe.

These plans to make a historical suburban/regional brand a universal representative for a whole city never works. It didn't work for Balmain, Canterbury, in the 90's, it's still not really working for the Roosters to this day, it didn't work for the Vikings in Canberra (seriously look up the troubles they've had, it could be a case study on this stuff), and it hasn't worked for hundreds of other groups that have attempted it both them, yet everybody still thinks it'll work them, and it never does.

Unless Redcliffe drops the Dolphins moniker (i.e. totally re-brands) they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the second Brisbane license, because all they are going to do is disenfranchise the majority of the market and probably send themselves broke in the process.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Could the South QLD Crushers be resurrected?

yes I am serious.

It's probably been too long but I think the NRL could have really generate some buzz bringing the Crushers back.

It'd be a better bet to resurrect the Crushers brand then to promote one of the current Suburban/regional ones, at the very least there aren't many people around that hated the Crushers.

What would be perfect would be to copy the WSW and find a historic brand that is both slightly obscure and so old that nobody but historians remember it. That way you have a brand with some history behind it and a story to tell, but nobody alive is old enough to have any negative associations with it.

There's got to be a few nick names for early BRL teams that are floating around out there. Find an interesting one of them and co-opt it.

flippikat

Bench

yes I am serious.

It's probably been too long but I think the NRL could have really generate some buzz bringing the Crushers back.

Could do, but I have to say that the original Crushers colours were mot exactly unique or inspiring.

They looked like a slightly darker shade of Parramatta.

Crushers + Cool new colours (maybe teal white & orange, or maroon green & white..) could be a go.

27EELS

Juniors
It'd be a better bet to resurrect the Crushers brand then to promote one of the current Suburban/regional ones, at the very least there aren't many people around that hated the Crushers.

What would be perfect would be to copy the WSW and find a historic brand that is both slightly obscure and so old that nobody but historians remember it. That way you have a brand with some history behind it and a story to tell, but nobody alive is old enough to have any negative associations with it.

There's got to be a few nick names for early BRL teams that are floating around out there. Find an interesting one of them and co-opt it.
Yep ur right , a lot of People liked the Crushers up here but the Broncos didn’t so they got the chop. Broncos also impacted on Toowoomba who were always along with N.Q had the strongest junior system in Qld when I was still playing, now U don’t even hear about Toowoomba it’s sad !

mongoose

Coach

I'm no historian but you got Brisbane Brothers or maybe Valley Diehards who are very old clubs from the Brisbane comp. Both stopped playing in the top flight comp in the 90s, so they are not that obscure. But both clubs are well loved and respected all over Brisbane. You still occasionally see people wearing old Brothers and Diehards jerseys in Brissie

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
I'm no historian but you got Brisbane Brothers or maybe Valley Diehards who are very old clubs from the Brisbane comp. Both stopped playing in the top flight comp in the 90s, so they are not that obscure. But both clubs are well loved and respected all over Brisbane. You still occasionally see people wearing old Brothers and Diehards jerseys in Brissie
The religious connection won’t help the name ‘brothers’.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Neither are old enough or obscure enough. There're still millions of people around today who know who they are, what they did, and have an opinion on them, and the majority of those people will hold negative opinions which is the main problem with the Dolphins.

(Beside that, Brothers are already bidding for an NRL license (not for a Brisbane club though), and the Diehards still exist, so you'd either have to buy their brand from them or go into a joint venture with them.)

If a bid was going to go the route of a "historic brand" then they'd need a brand that is much older, like one hundred years older, and that has fallen into obscurity, and there're quite a few to pick from if you have a look.

I mean I only grabbed out my copy of Our Game by Steve Haddan and and went through the first few years of the BRL and came away with a team called Natives, another one called Railways, and a team from Toowong who were known as the Cemetery-siders (definitely potential there), so there's plenty of potential to co-opt old team names and monikers.

Diesel

Coach
Neither are old enough or obscure enough. There're still millions of people around today who know who they are, what they did, and have an opinion on them, and the majority of those people will hold negative opinions which is the main problem with the Dolphins.

(Beside that, Brothers are already bidding for an NRL license (not for a Brisbane club though), and the Diehards still exist, so you'd either have to buy their brand from them or go into a joint venture with them.)

If a bid was going to go the route of a "historic brand" then they'd need a brand that is much older, like one hundred years older, and that has fallen into obscurity, and there're quite a few to pick from if you have a look.

I mean I only grabbed out my copy of Our Game by Steve Haddan and and went through the first few years of the BRL and came away with a team called Natives, another one called Railways, and a team from Toowong who were known as the Cemetery-siders (definitely potential there), so there's plenty of potential to co-opt old team names and monikers.
Are there any other names for Brisbane clubs you came across? The Toowong club makes sense, Railways could be around Bowen Hills perhaps?

Vee

First Grade

yes I am serious.

Absolutely. Run by the QRL and supported by the BRL. Now that's a team Brisbane could get behind.

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think there is 2 different issues at play.

The broadcasters want a second Brisbane team that will bring a large amount of viewers and ratings. Which means they couldn’t care less where they play. But I accept they would like Suncorp for ease of production costs.

The nrl needs a team in Brisbane that will quickly be accepted and create a massive broncos rivalry. The current investigation into the expansion footprint, will and should be the determining factor.

mongoose

Coach

I don't see the purpose of tying to tie the a new team to some obscure 100 year old brand. Younger generations don't care about that and won't be attracted to a team called the railways or cemetry siders.

That's why i'm not completely against the Bombers, the best brand is going to be one that attracts kids. Unfortunately boomers and mums and dads are a secondary demographics.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Moreton Bay population is over 400k and Sunshine Coast is around 300k, both of which would be their catchment area. Throw in Brisbane LGA which is over 1.2m (and doesn’t include Redlands, Logan or Ipswich) and that’s a lot of potential support and sponsorship opportunities

That's like saying Manly's catchment is the whole 1million of northern Sydney and northern beaches, which quite clearly it isn't.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't see the purpose of tying to tie the a new team to some obscure 100 year old brand. Younger generations don't care about that and won't be attracted to a team called the railways or cemetry siders.

That's why i'm not completely against the Bombers, the best brand is going to be one that attracts kids. Unfortunately boomers and mums and dads are a secondary demographics.

With what we charge for kids attendance and most games being at kid unfriendly KO times I'm not sure kids matter that much in the NRL's eyes.

The Great Dane

First Grade

I actually agree with you.

As long as the brand doesn't commit one of the cardinal sins of being unoriginal, having no connection to the market, or being likely to disenfranchise a large part of the market, I don't really care what they go with.

So it's not me you have to convince, it's the arse-loads of people that are dripping in nostalgia that think simply because they remember it from their childhood that it is somehow better or more sacred. The sort of stupid f**ks that would say that any new brand is "plastic" simply because it is new, while not realising that using that standard every brand was "plastic" at one time. So basically you have to convince everybody in the sport that are responsible for it's current stagnation and almost inevitable death.

The only reason I bring up older brands is because co-opting an older brand for a new club can actually be a very successful marketing ploy (WSW for example), the problem is the people suggesting it don't understand how and why it works and then suggest that using the Redcliffe brand is a great idea when it's a f**king suicidal idea.

If it was me picking the brand then (off the top of my head) I'd go with something like Brisbane Brahman, Bulls (with a shark logo), Rangers (as in Bush rangers), Battalion, or maybe something that could be pushed to be a bit controversial like maybe Brisbane Butchers, because who doesn't want a footy team with a serial killer as their mascot!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Are there any other names for Brisbane clubs you came across?

There was Wattles, Coorparoo Roos, and though not a Brisbane club there was Ipswich Starlights.

I'm sure there're others that I'm forgetting and plenty more that aren't in the book as well.

The Toowong club makes sense,Railways could be around Bowen Hills perhaps?

There's not much info on Railways. They pop up in 1912 to take Valleys-Toombul's place in the comp when Valley's couldn't field a team for the year, then disappear for a few years only to pop up again from 1918-20 then disappear forever.

Also their team was listed as Railways (the same is true of Wattles), so unlike other teams "Railways" wasn't the clubs nickname or moniker, it seems to have been the actual name of their club. So they would have been something like Railways RLFC.

greenBV4

Bench
On the topic of names, how would going the soccer route work out? Brisbane United or Brisbane City? (I think united would be better, Broncos already seem to be a "city" club).

Its not all that inspiring but at the same time not controversial or limiting the fanbase based off a mascot

over time the actual fans might come up with a mascot for the club (that doesn't have to actually be in the cubs name)

mongoose

Coach
With what we charge for kids attendance and most games being at kid unfriendly KO times I'm not sure kids matter that much in the NRL's eyes.

well the kids still need their parents to take them to the game and like GWS you are trying to win over the future generations, not so much the rusted on fans.

flippikat

Bench
On the topic of names, how would going the soccer route work out? Brisbane United or Brisbane City? (I think united would be better, Broncos already seem to be a "city" club).

Its not all that inspiring but at the same time not controversial or limiting the fanbase based off a mascot

over time the actual fans might come up with a mascot for the club (that doesn't have to actually be in the cubs name)

U-men? (A guy wearing a t-shirt with a big U on it?)
Units? (An anthropomorphic tape-measure?)
U's (A female sheep? You could call her Eunice...)

United is hard to translate into a mascot.. but City... no, hang on.. I'm thinking about walking sky-scrapers.. thats a tough one too.

I'm thinking mascots may be tough to leave to the fans... probably best to come up with something in the bid stage.

Keep in mind, no-one probably related Crusher with a train before that bid drew the connection.

I think City sounds good.. United may be a little bit too football.

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
I think City sounds good.. United may be a little bit too football.
United is kinda what this club would be going for though isn't it? Uniting the city against the Broncos. Mascot could be a jockey, or Darren Weir with a cattle prod?

Latest posts