What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2019

Blair

Coach
Bugger, no Warriors. I so didn't want to write that.

Anyway, the season reaches its climax for the better teams.

Friday: Roosters v Rabbits
Saturday: Storm v Raiders, then Manly v Sharks
Sunday: Parramatta v Brisbane.

(Thanks Beave, copied and pasted).

Saturday night is my favourite game, at Brookie.

Rich102

Staff member
And let us spare a thought for those who battled hard all season but fell short,
those who gave everything but fell at the final fence,
those who bravely faced the opposition and drew a line in the sand, vowing to defend their pride.

To you Roger, Ken, Chanel; we salute you.
To the rest of you; enjoy Mad Monday, the highlight of your season.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Bugger, no Warriors. I so didn't want to write that.

Anyway, the season reaches its climax for the better teams.

Friday: Roosters v Rabbits
Saturday: Storm v Raiders, then Manly v Sharks
Sunday: Parramatta v Brisbane.

(Thanks Beave, copied and pasted).

Saturday night is my favourite game, at Brookie.

NRL considering taking the game away from Brookie and putting us out at bankwest lol. Some core holes were drilled in the hill last week for some upcoming building and traces of asbestos were found in the soil. Todd will make a decision this afternoon on if the ground is safe enough, some people may want to bring a shovel in and dig down to the effected areas ...
Decision won’t be effected at all by Bankwest, in the west of Sydney a mile away from the Northern Beaches, having more corporate boxes for the NRL to sell ...

We are pretty much a bye for the Sharks anyway, forward pack is decimated that much they are looking at having to bring in a player from outside the squad

Sam Burgess missing the game because of a hair pull is the unusual narrative leading us into the finals

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
I'm not getting the hair pull thing - so lame... from Burgess, but also the NRL...

JWH, Taupau etc have more chance of playing this weekend, FFS!

I'm not getting the hair pull thing - so lame... from Burgess, but also the NRL...

JWH, Taupau etc have more chance of playing this weekend, FFS!
It would have been a fine, but i think this would have been his 3rd fine and equals a suspension.

NRL considering taking the game away from Brookie and putting us out at bankwest lol. Some core holes were drilled in the hill last week for some upcoming building and traces of asbestos were found in the soil. Todd will make a decision this afternoon on if the ground is safe enough, some people may want to bring a shovel in and dig down to the effected areas ...
Decision won’t be effected at all by Bankwest, in the west of Sydney a mile away from the Northern Beaches, having more corporate boxes for the NRL to sell ...

We are pretty much a bye for the Sharks anyway, forward pack is decimated that much they are looking at having to bring in a player from outside the squad

Sam Burgess missing the game because of a hair pull is the unusual narrative leading us into the finals
Its only Manly supporters Todd, let them play there! :p

JJ

Immortal
It would have been a fine, but i think this would have been his 3rd fine and equals a suspension.
yeah, but he pulled his hair LOL.... just WTF - eye gouging is a fine or 8+ weeks, swinging arms to the head are nothing, or 1-2 weeks, spear tackles nothing to 4 weeks... it's just a f**king joke...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
yeah, but he pulled his hair LOL.... just WTF - eye gouging is a fine or 8+ weeks, swinging arms to the head are nothing, or 1-2 weeks, spear tackles nothing to 4 weeks... it's just a f**king joke...
Tbh I’m not sure exactly where I’m standing on this one. My immediate reaction was the same as you, ridiculous to be missing a game through a hair pull

Then I looked at it a step further, and when he knocked Moylan out cold a few weeks back and ended up getting it downgraded, he knew that he was playing a game at that point when any indescretion would incur a week, no matter how minor it was. He would have been a fine but he was already over the limit for contrary conduct, so to then do what he did, maybe he deserves a week for stupidity

That little weed Kent also made a point last night, the high tackles etc are at least a moving parts, split second mistake. The hair pull has to be thought about and then executed

Burgess is 1 of the my favourite players to watch but tbh I watched that game last week and in the first half thought to myself that he is turning into a liability

JJ

Immortal
Tbh I’m not sure exactly where I’m standing on this one. My immediate reaction was the same as you, ridiculous to be missing a game through a hair pull

Then I looked at it a step further, and when he knocked Moylan out cold a few weeks back and ended up getting it downgraded, he knew that he was playing a game at that point when any indescretion would incur a week, no matter how minor it was. He would have been a fine but he was already over the limit for contrary conduct, so to then do what he did, maybe he deserves a week for stupidity

That little weed Kent also made a point last night, the high tackles etc are at least a moving parts, split second mistake. The hair pull has to be thought about and then executed

Burgess is 1 of the my favourite players to watch but tbh I watched that game last week and in the first half thought to myself that he is turning into a liability
It’s complicated just don’t believe this is the right outcome

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Meh, you do enough shit and it eventually builds up. Dude got away with crap during the season, but it came back to bite him now. I don't have a problem with it at all.

100% this.

What else are you to do with a recidivist grub who isn't getting the idea that he needs to cut this filthy stuff out of his game? Keep fining him? That isn't working. Missing a finals game might be the perfect idea.

Yes, in isolation pulling hair is not enough to miss a game. But surely we're all smart enough to know this incident is not in isolation.

I don't know how f**king stupid you have to be to do that a week out from finals, in a highly-publicised match, with a long rap sheet and history of suspension/shit behaviour, with a thousand cameras around the ground etc. Obviously pretty stupid. Even watching it back now, I can't even fathom how you'd be that blatant, that grubby, that dumb. Good on Gallen for being one of the rare sources of reason that Burgess only has himself to blame.

JJ

Immortal
Yep, agree... I guess for me the broader context is what McGuire got away with, what Jake T got away with etc - Burgess has it coming, but hair pulling is just nothing... desperate for some consistency - Taupau, Evans and JWH all deserve much more, as did Burgess earlier on Moylan, and Jake T's spear... Hair pulling is a penalty...

They spend a lot of money to come up with a Mickey Mouse system IMHO...

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Sipley back for us, hasn’t played game for 17 weeks

Bloody great news, he deserves it.

Beave, don't get all negative re the injuries. It'll ruin your week. I speak from experience. In 2007, we finished fourth, by beating the Panthers away in the last game. The night took a heavy toll though, as we lost both Manu and Ropati for the finals campaign. They were both in tremendous form.

I said 'we're done now', straight away, and went through the whole week feeling that way, including on the night.

Sure, we lost 12-10 to Parra, and sorely missed their creativity, power and spark, and would've probably won with them there. However, that was no reason to give up and wreck the vibe.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Bloody great news, he deserves it.

Beave, don't get all negative re the injuries. It'll ruin your week. I speak from experience. In 2007, we finished fourth, by beating the Panthers away in the last game. The night took a heavy toll though, as we lost both Manu and Ropati for the finals campaign. They were both in tremendous form.

I said 'we're done now', straight away, and went through the whole week feeling that way, including on the night.

Sure, we lost 12-10 to Parra, and sorely missed their creativity, power and spark, and would've probably won with them there. However, that was no reason to give up and wreck the vibe.

In reality mate even if fully fit I think we were short of the Roosters level, I’m stoked with the season as it is, achieved more than anyone thought we would. Des will have them up for the fight and will be a good taste for some of the young guys, Keppie debuted last week and is now starting in the front row, and another boy getting his debut off the bench that is an exciting prospect, R&S mentioned him being a standout in reserves against the Warriors earlier in the year so looking forward to seeing him

Blair

Coach
In reality mate even if fully fit I think we were short of the Roosters level, I’m stoked with the season as it is, achieved more than anyone thought we would. Des will have them up for the fight and will be a good taste for some of the young guys, Keppie debuted last week and is now starting in the front row, and another boy getting his debut off the bench that is an exciting prospect, R&S mentioned him being a standout in reserves against the Warriors earlier in the year so looking forward to seeing him

That's more like it, you're even getting me fired up now!

I'm rapt Tof Sipley's playing finals footy. All those years caning it for the NSW Warriors. Get's a run in first grade, when the Stupid Six get stood down for a game, then he's straight back in reserves.

Now look where he is.

Good coaching, ay?

Latest posts