What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL announce higher than expected surplus

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting bit about the ledger, didn't know the surplus was going to be split this way. Wonder what the split is? On the back of last years $42mill surplus this is a great result.

The ARL Commission’s decision to bring in the no-fault stand-down rule has received further vindication after it emerged the code is in rude financial health as it prepares for the finals series.

It is understood the commission will share financial results with club bosses at a meeting on Thursday that show the game is on track to record a profit of more than $32 million this season — significantly up on the $25m that was originally in the budget. The most significant increase was in game receipts, most likely due to the success of this year’s State of Origin series.

The game also retains net assets worth more than $100m, although the funding deal that means each club receives more than $13m from the central body on a yearly basis prevents the game building up a bigger surplus. Regardless, the financial results thus far have been promising and they could escalate significantly over the course of the finals series should foundation clubs like South Sydney and the Sydney Roosters enjoy success. Parramatta and Brisbane would also be good results for the game’s bottom line.

The encouraging financial results come after the commission and chair Peter Beattie put their reputations on the line by pushing for the no-fault stand-down rule to deal with players who commit serious criminal offences.

St George Illawarra and NSW forward Jack de Belin took the game all the way to the federal court as he looked to have the rule overturned, only to settle the case with the NRL and ARL Commission on the day it was due to begin before the full Federal Court.

The commission felt it had no choice but to act after the so-called “summer of hell”, when a spate of bad behaviour caused untold damage to the code’s image off the field.

There were fears the game’s bottom line could be irreparably damaged as a result, although Beattie’s decision to force through change no doubt ensured the game saved millions it could have lost in sponsorship.

If not for court costs, the game could have been even better-placed financially. The excess profit will also be good news for the players, given any money above projected figures is to be put in a ledger and shared equally between the players, head office, grassroots and the clubs at the end of the existing broadcasting cycle.

That ledger is already well stocked after the game enjoyed a successful year in 2018. Another financial windfall appears on the way in 2019 if the results to date are anything to go by.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/7cd7cc34cc8b1591fdfe258b2cafd80a

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can’t afford to grow the game tho

TBF I didnt know this ledger deal existed, first I've seen of it. If its true and the split is equal between 4 competing areas then there is only than $10mill a year surplus so far for Yr1 &2 for NRL HQ to spend. NRL would be better spending it all in next 3 years on start ups and grass roots so theres nothing left for clubs and players by end of 5 year cycle!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
TBF I didnt know this ledger deal existed, first I've seen of it. If its true and the split is equal between 4 competing areas then there is only than $10mill a year surplus so far for Yr1 &2 for NRL HQ to spend. NRL would be better spending it all in next 3 years on start ups and grass roots so theres nothing left for clubs and players by end of 5 year cycle!

I knew about this but was wondering how they actually implement it.

My understand is that the nrl keeps the amount that they expect to make (proposed budget) and then the extra amount above what is expected then gets divided amongst the 4 areas.

So my take is, that the proposed budget surplus is $25m and it got to $32mil which is a $7 mil increase which will be put aside and added to the other years of this broadcast cycle. It is to be divided amongst the 4 areas at the end of the tv deal.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The most significant increase was in game receipts, most likely due to the success of this year’s State of Origin series.

I still think the future of RL is in Rep footy...

Shorten the Nrl season and invest some effort in building some more annual Rep rivalries.

Id expect it to increase the Nrl crowds too with the smaller number of regular season game to pick from.

Latest posts