What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Jamberoo

Juniors
Don't do it Brisbane!
https://www.austadiums.com/news/new...aQPfqSV7fH29Nm6-yfuyIeM_7C_N0jToXPHv6aA2uKs7g
london-olympic-stadium.jpg

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That would be the obvious place to upgrade. Seems a bit of a pipe dream holding it in Qland but I hear other countries are increasingly being put off by the cost of hosting an Olympics these days.

Best NRL could hope for would be a new rectangular stadium of around 25k in Redcliffe or Ipswich to host Olympic soccer games and RU 7's. Though with 3 rectangular stadiums not sure if they would need another one?

Honestly, I hope Brisbane gets the Olympics for a potential upgrade to Suncorp (will be 30 years old by then), potentially getting us a secondary smaller rectangle venue built and any other legacy projects that RL could take advantage of but I'm torn because if the Olympics come here then I'm leaving town for two weeks it will be a shit fight.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Gabba is already too squeezed into its surroundings as it is without adding on to it. My guessed is if it were to happen it would be built as a circular 80k stadium from scratch. After the olympics, it will be reduced to 60k so for afl and cricket use now that the Gabba is the worst of the 5 major cricket stadiums. Hope I'm wrong.

They might upgrade the RNA Showgrounds. That was one of the proposed sites when the redevelopment of Suncorp was in the planning stages. I can't think of anywhere else in the inner city with the land. Rebuilding the old ANZ Stadium is an option at Mt Gravatt I suppose, it was built for the Com Games and is the home of Athletics QLD.

beave

Coach
This is not having a whinge as I’m grateful we are getting a new stadium in NQ, but the QLD gov refused to pay for the whole $250mil for our stadium so it meant the Feds had to break standard protocol and commit $100 mil to a stadium and Cowbs themselves had to chip in $10mil as well to make it happen.

But now all of a sudden the QLD gov have a f**king squillion dollars to throw at the olympics?

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is not having a whinge as I’m grateful we are getting a new stadium in NQ, but the QLD gov refused to pay for the whole $250mil for our stadium so it meant the Feds had to break standard protocol and commit $100 mil to a stadium and Cowbs themselves had to chip in $10mil as well to make it happen.

But now all of a sudden the QLD gov have a f**king squillion dollars to throw at the olympics?

They probably dont and it will probably send you broke for the next twenty years, but hey who doesnt like to throw a good party?

Things like this help the argument for a North Queensland state.

unforgiven

Bench
Like the proposed state of the Hunter early last century. They actually built a house of parliament in Armidale. How things would be different if it went ahead. Shame really.

The State of New England went very close to being formed, there was actually a referendum held 1967 and if very nearly succeeded. If it wasn't for some late changes in the boundaries we may have already had a genuine tri series for State of Origin lol.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Queensland building a new circular stadium is a weird situation, on the one hand the Gabba is losing its status as an international cricket ground, on the other hand they're literally building a Gabba train station and even at 40,000 with the Brisbane Lions in the top 4 of the AFL the current record crowd was set last week at 37,000. What in the hell would make them think they could bring in a crowd good enough for a 60 to 80000 seater?

Nerd

Bench
The last thing we need in Queensland is to be saddled with the debt that comes from holding an Olympics. The stadium would be an instant white elephant the second the games were finished. If the thing is such a good money spinner as claimed let the IOC pay for the whole shebang. Non rectangular stadiums in Rugby League dominated states just don't work as evidenced by ANZ stadium and QE2 which are both terrible to watch games at.

greenBV4

Bench
The last thing we need in Queensland is to be saddled with the debt that comes from holding an Olympics. The stadium would be an instant white elephant the second the games were finished. If the thing is such a good money spinner as claimed let the IOC pay for the whole shebang. Non rectangular stadiums in Rugby League dominated states just don't work as evidenced by ANZ stadium and QE2 which are both terrible to watch games at.
What is the requirement for an athletics stadium for the olympics? Wouldnt it be better to just touch up the gabba then update or rebuild suncorp to 70-80k and hold the ceremonies there? Atleast a large rectangle ground will get more use than a large circle on in Brisbane

Nerd

Bench
What is the requirement for an athletics stadium for the olympics? Wouldnt it be better to just touch up the gabba then update or rebuild suncorp to 70-80k and hold the ceremonies there? Atleast a large rectangle ground will get more use than a large circle on in Brisbane
The Gabba is already getting squeezed by surrounding properties so there is no room available for a seating upgrade. QE2 already is the athletics home in Brisbane and has a running track but is a white elephant with no close public transport options. Spending hundreds of millions on a ground that would see a few weeks of sport then resort to being a barely utilised asset from that day on is just a plain waste of tax payer money. The whole state is crying out for increased transport infrastructure spending not some vanity project for our politicians. My fingers are crossed that another country wins the rights and we don't blow too many millions chasing this pipe dream.

greenBV4

Bench
Just hold the opening and closing ceremonies in Melbourne, everything else you’re golden...
The only way Australia should be hosting an olympics is as a joint East Coast bid

Most the infrastructure already exists or atleast would only need some sprucing up. Spend the money instead on something like high speed rail from Mel-Syd-Bris

Dogs Of War

Coach
Honestly, I hope Brisbane gets the Olympics for a potential upgrade to Suncorp (will be 30 years old by then), potentially getting us a secondary smaller rectangle venue built and any other legacy projects that RL could take advantage of but I'm torn because if the Olympics come here then I'm leaving town for two weeks it will be a shit fight.

We thought the same in Sydney. But it went so well. It was actually easier to drive to work. Everybody was car pooling or working from home. Many people went on leave/holidays to experience the games period.

We thought the same in Sydney. But it went so well. It was actually easier to drive to work. Everybody was car pooling or working from home. Many people went on leave/holidays to experience the games period.

A lot of people left the country too to get away from it. Personally, I found it was just as easy to get away from the Olympics without leaving Sydney as it was to immerse yourself in the games if and when you chose to. Apart from the torch relay going through King Street, Newtown for example, carried on like any other day totally free of the hype. It would probably apply to any Olympic city.

axl rose

Bench
Queensland building a new circular stadium is a weird situation, on the one hand the Gabba is losing its status as an international cricket ground,

The Test Matches do have poor attendance, but thats may be more due to the nature of the game than the Gabba. Have been to enough sold out Big Bash games and the transport/ facilities are fine.

Latest posts